Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Maybe thats just a CX thing since its different booking system than other partners. I know on the website I've had QF flights bookable an hour earlier on AS site vs AA site.
As does seem to have earlier access to cx than aa by a few hours although i never compared exactly same flights..
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:09 pm

Quick question for those with more experience with CX bookings with AS. I've managed to book a one way JFK-HKG-BNE in J (2 passengers). My goal was to get to SYD, but that was not available so I booked a ticket that would at least get me close in Australia. I've been checking every day to see if availability in J to SYD opens up in late December, but haven't seen anything. I guess my question is what are the chances that availability will open in J for my days, and how close would that normally happen...or do you recommend that I just book a separate one way from BNE to SYD on my own now when it's pretty inexpensive. I know that the answer is probably "it depends," but I wanted to see what people's experiences are in terms of award space opening up going to SYD in J. Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Quick question for those with more experience with CX bookings with AS. I've managed to book a one way JFK-HKG-BNE in J (2 passengers). My goal was to get to SYD, but that was not available so I booked a ticket that would at least get me close in Australia. I've been checking every day to see if availability in J to SYD opens up in late December, but haven't seen anything. I guess my question is what are the chances that availability will open in J for my days
In my experience, the smaller cities (BNE, CNS, ADL) are more likely to get availability than SYD or MEL, as you've already found. You want 2 J seats HKG-SYD on a flight that connects from your JFK-HKG flight. (Unless you think it's worth staying an extra 7+ hours in HKG to avoid the 90 min flight BNE-SYD?) I suspect you could spend a long time waiting for that without success.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
In my experience, the smaller cities (BNE, CNS, ADL) are more likely to get availability than SYD or MEL, as you've already found. You want 2 J seats HKG-SYD on a flight that connects from your JFK-HKG flight. (Unless you think it's worth staying an extra 7+ hours in HKG to avoid the 90 min flight BNE-SYD?) I suspect you could spend a long time waiting for that without success.
Thanks. I'm doing a 2-day stopover in HKG so the wait is not an issue. I guess I should've specified that I'm doing JFK-HKG and then HKG-BNE. I'm just wondering whether it's worth waiting to see if HKG-SYD will eventually open (and around when), or whether it's more likely pie in the sky and I should just buy the BNE-SYD tickets now that they are relatively inexpensive.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm just wondering whether it's worth waiting to see if HKG-SYD will eventually open (and around when), or whether it's more likely pie in the sky and I should just buy the BNE-SYD tickets now that they are relatively inexpensive.
Do you feel lucky? I've seen single seats open up more than pairs. Weekends are highly unlikely. Weekdays maybe. If some do open up, it'll most likely be close to the time.

Short domestic flights are generally fairly inexpensive. Cheaper fare buckets tend to fill up on popular flights, while early morning flights tend to remain cheap for much longer. Qantas seems to like having at least one cheap flight a day so that search engines will show that result, but then the convenient flights may cost twice as much.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks. I'm doing a 2-day stopover in HKG so the wait is not an issue. I guess I should've specified that I'm doing JFK-HKG and then HKG-BNE. I'm just wondering whether it's worth waiting to see if HKG-SYD will eventually open (and around when), or whether it's more likely pie in the sky and I should just buy the BNE-SYD tickets now that they are relatively inexpensive.
BNE-SYD is pretty cheap with Avios, if you can get your hands on some, and you could cancel the ticket fairly close in (4500 Avios in Y + $15.20, 9k in J + $15.20). If you cancel (but you have to cancel at least 24 hours before flight time) you only lose the $15.20.

Note that you won't be allowed to change your AS ticketed HKG-BNE segment on CX after you start travel though (in other words, during your stopover).

Alternately, just spend the Avios and enjoy a few days in BNE.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

Do you feel lucky? I've seen single seats open up more than pairs. Weekends are highly unlikely. Weekdays maybe. If some do open up, it'll most likely be close to the time.

Short domestic flights are generally fairly inexpensive. Cheaper fare buckets tend to fill up on popular flights, while early morning flights tend to remain cheap for much longer. Qantas seems to like having at least one cheap flight a day so that search engines will show that result, but then the convenient flights may cost twice as much.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BNE-SYD is pretty cheap with Avios, if you can get your hands on some, and you could cancel the ticket fairly close in (4500 Avios in Y + $15.20, 9k in J + $15.20). If you cancel (but you have to cancel at least 24 hours before flight time) you only lose the $15.20.

Note that you won't be allowed to change your AS ticketed HKG-BNE segment on CX after you start travel though (in other words, during your stopover).

Alternately, just spend the Avios and enjoy a few days in BNE.
Thank you both. It's clear that I should just book the BNE-SYD segment. I'll probably just transfer some UR points to Avios to do the booking. I guess my final question is how many hours are sufficient to leave in between landing in BNE and the flight to SYD. If I land at 10AM, would the 12:05 flight on QS be OK, or should I go with the 2PM flight?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:40 am

I guess my final question is how many hours are sufficient to leave in between landing in BNE and the flight to SYD. If I land at 10AM, would the 12:05 flight on QS be OK, or should I go with the 2PM flight?
Immigration, collect bags, customs, re-check bags, line up and wait for bus to domestic terminal, go through security, then to the QF lounge if you have status (or using Avios for J). I would not book a separate ticket with less than 3 hours to spare.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:50 am

Immigration, collect bags, customs, re-check bags, line up and wait for bus to domestic terminal, go through security, then to the QF lounge if you have status (or using Avios for J). I would not book a separate ticket with less than 3 hours to spare.
Thanks, this indeed sounds like a long process. I'll go with the later flight to be safe.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:14 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Rookie question here -

Trying to find a reward flight on Cathy Pacific from Europe to Hong Kong. Alaska Airlines shows this as an option on the award flights page, but when I search for an ex-Europe to HKG I do not see anything in the results for several airports and dates.

Am I missing something or is the availability just not that great?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Steve_19
Rookie question here -

Trying to find a reward flight on Cathy Pacific from Europe to Hong Kong. Alaska Airlines shows this as an option on the award flights page, but when I search for an ex-Europe to HKG I do not see anything in the results for several airports and dates.

Cathay Pacific tickets are not bookable through the website, you have to call into AS. I would suggest starting from the top and reading the Wiki.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_19
Rookie question here -

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
I would just like to repeat, once again, this is the really annoying part about two different wikithreads about AS Cathay awards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ility-f-j.html

The same information isn't in both wikis (such as "hey, dude, you gotta call AS to book") unless someone puts it in both places (I just added it to THIS wikithread, it was in the other one).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

I would just like to repeat, once again, this is the really annoying part about two different wikithreads about AS Cathay awards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ility-f-j.html

The same information isn't in both wikis (such as "hey, dude, you gotta call AS to book") unless someone puts it in both places (I just added it to THIS wikithread, it was in the other one).
Thank you for the information! I missed the other thread on this topic.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Cathay Pacific tickets are not bookable through the website, you have to call into AS. I would suggest starting from the top and reading the Wiki.
Thanks for the information!

I did read, but seems the info I needed was in another wiki thread.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I just canceled two business class seats for 12/11/17 LAX-HKG-AKL ... sometimes these go back into inventory, so if anyone is looking for something like that... act quick...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.