Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Seat assignments can be obtained on CX site prior to ticketing. You just need the CX PNR.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Does CX tend to release J space on the SIN-HKG route closer to departure? I am trying to get on a later flight, but nothing is opening up and I’ve been checking every day. I booked a 12-hr transit stay at the Aerotel and will end up wasting 6 hours i purchased if I’m not able to get a later flight.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:39 pm

Is it just me but there are no J or F awards available close in for the month of march. I was used to seeing lots of availabilty LAX-HKG route 3-4 days out but I'm seeing nothing at all. Searched QF and JAL sites. other suggestions?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goober153
Is it just me but there are no J or F awards available close in for the month of march. I was used to seeing lots of availabilty LAX-HKG route 3-4 days out but I'm seeing nothing at all. Searched QF and JAL sites. other suggestions?
No it’s not just you. I have noticed the lack of availability in March too. I have a trip coming up in March I was lucky to find HKG-LAX in F. I was literally checking every 12 hours for availability for F. If you’re flexible, and you’re willing to go into Chicago, New York, LAX, SFO, YVR you will find something if you keep checking. Flexibility is the name of the game.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

I don’t know what route you’re looking for but I just checked HKG-JFK and there’s plenty of F open for next week.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:30 pm

sorry, west coast to asia. you're using qantas to search?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goober153
sorry, west coast to asia. you're using qantas to search?
Yes. If you’re willing to wait a week to 5 days before departure dates, then they usually will release F. As you can see now, a week out from HKG-JFK has plenty of F open day after day next week.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:42 pm

People with experience booking F class within 14 days of departure, what are the chances that you can book 2 F seat?
And do you have to book 1 first, then the other later?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ahh.lun
People with experience booking F class within 14 days of departure, what are the chances that you can book 2 F seat?
Totally mixed. I sure wouldn't buy, or transfer a lot of miles to Mileage Plan in anticipation of 2 F seats opening up. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you strike out. Caveat emptor.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ahh.lun
I booked two CX J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS in October for Feb 14//Feb 18. At T-11 days an F opened up HKG-BOS which I was able to upgrade to from J. After upgrade, availabiloty dropped to F3, A3. Checked every day for another to be released until T-4 Hrs. Another F never opened up and plane departed with 3 empty F seats. I suggest booking each pax on a different PNR so you have flexibility should only one F open. Difference from J to F was 7500 miles and $3.85 in fees.

James
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
. Difference from J to F was 7500 miles and $3.85 in fees.
Some routes are a no brainier like Africa or Middle East where difference between Y and F are only 20k difference and J to F is 7.5 but tougher decision on US-Asia where J > F is 20k difference
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I have just booked f from Hong Kong to lax with 70k ow . O hope it 2ipp be nice experience
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:12 pm
formerly mattrendell27

can anyone chime in with experience on CX seats being released back into inventory when cancelled? Wife and I are currently booked on a CX flight HKG-LAX in May (her in F and me in J) and there is a chance she won't be able to travel. I was considering cancelling them and trying to book myself into F before we're within the 60 day cancellation window, but don't want to do so if there's a high risk the seats won't go back into inventory right away.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
can anyone chime in with experience on CX seats being released back into inventory when cancelled? Wife and I are currently booked on a CX flight HKG-LAX in May (her in F and me in J) and there is a chance she won't be able to travel. I was considering cancelling them and trying to book myself into F before we're within the 60 day cancellation window, but don't want to do so if there's a high risk the seats won't go back into inventory right away.
There is absolutely no guarantee it will come back as an award. It really depends on the sales inventory when cancelled.

For example:
  • When you booked it, zero First class seats were sold (eg 6 F seats available), so CX made one available as an award.
  • Your wife grabbed that award seat (5 F seats available)
  • Fast forward now, maybe someone purchased two F seats (3 F seats available).
  • Your wife cancels her F award (4 F seats available). CX algorithms will determine whether to make the award available again or not based on the current sales inventory (4 F seats) and xxx number of days to departure. It would even factor in how well lower cabins are selling. If lower cabins are trending towards being oversold, then the F seat may not come back as an award.
Bottom line is that it really depends. It may come back but there is no guarantee it will come back.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost

Thanks
If she cannot travel cancel her F seat. If it goes back then you grab it. If it does not go back then at least you are still in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.