Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Wouldn't that mean CX would have to pull your bags in YVR out of the queue for loading, or off the plane if they've already been loaded, and re-tag them for XIY? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. You either want AS to check them through to XIY when you check luggage in SEA (have no idea if they can do that, but you could show the separate ticket and see if they will, I guess) or bite the bullet and recheck in HKG.
thankfully my buddy and I will not be checking in a bag since it's a very short trip. I'll ask AS about my KA seperate ticket but I doubt they'll do anything. I think i'm just going to go to the check-in counter in YVR and have them re-check us in with the separate ticket on there. We have a 2h25m connection in YVR so I think that should be fine, as long as the AS flight does not come in late. I'd rather take care of this in YVR so i can comfortably lounge hop in HKG during my 4hr connection
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
thankfully my buddy and I will not be checking in a bag since it's a very short trip. I'll ask AS about my KA seperate ticket but I doubt they'll do anything. I think i'm just going to go to the check-in counter in YVR and have them re-check us in with the separate ticket on there. We have a 2h25m connection in YVR so I think that should be fine, as long as the AS flight does not come in late. I'd rather take care of this in YVR so i can comfortably lounge hop in HKG during my 4hr connection
If you're not checking a bag, use the CX app to check yourself in? If you want physical boarding passes, I would imagine this can be taken care of you at the gate in YVR, if not the lounge (I've done exactly this, been checked in at SEA, picked up a physical boarding pass and lounge passes at the gate at LAX). No need to waste time reclearing security.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you're not checking a bag, use the CX app to check yourself in? If you want physical boarding passes, I would imagine this can be taken care of you at the gate in YVR, if not the lounge (I've done exactly this, been checked in at SEA, picked up a physical boarding pass and lounge passes at the gate at LAX). No need to waste time reclearing security.
thanks for the advice...i'll try that as well.

I'm just thinking that since my separate ticket is to china, CX will want to manually check my chinese visa. I guess they can do that in the lounge too.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I'm just thinking that since my separate ticket is to china, CX will want to manually check my chinese visa. I guess they can do that in the lounge too.
Visa check will be done in HKG anyway. You can check-in online, at YVR, or at HKG.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by golfingboy

Thank you... I’ll give them another call... Fifth one at that. Getting annoying - its one thing to be informed and another to be completely false. I’ll ask for a supervisor right off the bat once I connect with the partner desk.

If anyone here works for AS and can make things right (4 J award seats are available for CMB-HKG on the date I need) PM me.
Are the CMB flights leaving early in the morning? Not sure if this is still a thing but have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Is CX still releasing F seats close in? Looking to travel very end of April and or early may and not seeing anything for JFK-HKG. Not sure if its too early to start seeing those openings. Used to be about two weeks out things would start opening up like crazy.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
Is CX still releasing F seats close in? Looking to travel very end of April and or early may and not seeing anything for JFK-HKG. Not sure if its too early to start seeing those openings. Used to be about two weeks out things would start opening up like crazy.
On long haul F they usually will release a few days of availability a week before the departure date. Then as the date gets closer more and more flights open in F. This has been my experience anyway LAX-HKG-LAX. They released the flight I wanted 24 hours before departure in F AND the cabin already was 4/6. That shocked me.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Are the CMB flights leaving early in the morning? Not sure if this is still a thing but have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

There is only one Cathay Pacific flight I believe from Colombo. At least this is the only one I know about on the only one I see availability on so I can’t imagine they have another one. It leaves at 12:40 AM and arrives in to Hong Kong at 8:25 AM. There usually is economy availability, and they usually release four J seats on the A330 that operates that route.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:40 am

I am looking at it with AS and the agent can see the flight for on CX CMB-HKG in J but cannot confirm (no work space to click or whatever it is)... This is getting frustrating

They clearly do not know what they are talking about - how can I escalate this? I asked for a supervisor and agent refused. I did suggest that someone was able to book a similar award from CMB and they wanted the person to call them and show their award -- don't want to go down that path.
The flight does have to have availability to be booked. Check BA as it is usually accurate, and you can not type in Colombo into the Qantas tool so you can’t see space.

PM me. I will gladly forward you my CX itinerary starting in CMB so you can show an agent. I don’t know who you’re talking to, or why you keep getting agents that are incompetent. Do you have status with AS? If not, and your calling from a phone number on your MP account, the AS phone system picks up your number and routes it to the non-MVP agents. Call the MVP line from a phone number not in your MileagePlan account so you are routed to an MVP agent. They know what they are doing. The number is 1-888-345-3640
golfingboy and tobikosan like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:35 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

The flight does have to have availability to be booked. Check BA as it is usually accurate, and you can not type in Colombo into the Qantas tool so you can’t see space.

PM me. I will gladly forward you my CX itinerary starting in CMB so you can show an agent. I don’t know who you’re talking to, or why you keep getting agents that are incompetent. Do you have status with AS? If not, and your calling from a phone number on your MP account, the AS phone system picks up your number and routes it to the non-MVP agents. Call the MVP line from a phone number not in your MileagePlan account so you are routed to an MVP agent. They know what they are doing. The number is 1-888-345-3640
I’ll give it one more try through this line, if it fails I’ll PM you. Thank you for all of your help thus far!

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees

The flight is at 12:35am for the date I want... The most recent agent could see the flight in their system but claims CX won’t let them book. No inventory available not even in Y Y has a ton of award space available and J has 4.

Seems like the agent I have been interacting with do not know what they are doing as they kept saying the only flight I see are connections in BKK (CX code shares on UL’s CMB-BKK flight) and I have to constantly pry them to look again for the CX nonstop and when they find it they claim there is nothing available or CMB is blacked out.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

I’ll give it one more try through this line, if it fails I’ll PM you. Thank you for all of your help thus far!
This finally did it! The MVP line was able to ticket me in business for CMB-HKG... The agent originally searched CMB-JFK and could only see Y, I asked the agent to just look at CMB-HKG and poof he could see business class availability. 5 minutes later ticket reissued for CMB-HKG-JFK!

If anyone is reading or following this thread I hope they realize they need to do further training for the newer agents on how to book CX awards, particularly in the premium cabin. It’s a little more tricky than the other partners.

I do not have status with AS Used to be Gold and 75K for 6-7 years and moved over to CO/UA and now AA when I relocated to PIT. Now that AS is starting SEA-PIT I might be tempted to split things up a little.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do it at the gate. There is a big podium by the gate for this purpose. There are also agents walking the line to check people's travel documents, and if checked out fine, they put a mark on the BPs. Not sure how they would do it when the BP is stored in the smart phone.
CX lounge personnels dont do many things the Admiral Club personnel do for example.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:06 pm

Hi Experts,
is it still possible to book mixed class as 1 award? I read some posts said YES and others said NO, i just want to check before allocating my miles. Thanks
My Route is LAX-HKG in F and HKG - SGN in J on CX
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: JPrivilege, DL, UA, JAL, ANA, Krisflyer, Korean, AsiaMiles, BA, AA, EY, EK, Virgin, avianca, Iberia
Oz to India

Alaska classifies India as part of Asia.
Australia to Asia is 30k on CX. CX flies to bom and del as well.

Is this possible using mileage plan? would that mean 30,000 miles one way in J. Or not?

Has anyone booked this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.