Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi Experts,
is it still possible to book mixed class as 1 award? I read some posts said YES and others said NO, i just want to check before allocating my miles. Thanks
My Route is LAX-HKG in F and HKG - SGN in J on CX
Yes, although you might need to have AS look at segment by segment (i.e. LAX-HKG in F then look HKG-SGN in J) as opposed to simply searching LAX-SGN. In my recent case, even with the MVP desk, when simply searching CMB-JFK they could only see Y availability.

But, yes, you can book a mixed award itinerary.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi Experts,
is it still possible to book mixed class as 1 award? I read some posts said YES and others said NO, i just want to check before allocating my miles. Thanks
My Route is LAX-HKG in F and HKG - SGN in J on CX
I have two upcoming tickets that are mixed class. For example, JNB-HKG does not have a F cabin so we are booked in C. We are booked in F for HKG-LAX. I think it is quite common given how many routes do not have F cabins but connect with transpacific flights that do.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by vivek314
Australia to Asia is 30k on CX.
Wrong. It's "Australia to Hong Kong".

If you read the Cathay Pacific Award wiki and thread, you'd see this in the wiki:

The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
Don't look at the maps and think "Oh, India is in Asia on AS awards". That's not how it works (the maps AS is using are misleading). CX awards break at HKG unless they're intra-Asia or you're going to or from North America (and India is NOT intra-Asia, there's a separate award for HKG-India).

Your itinerary is two awards: Australia-HKG and HKG-India. 60k miles.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes, although you might need to have AS look at segment by segment (i.e. LAX-HKG in F then look HKG-SGN in J) as opposed to simply searching LAX-SGN. In my recent case, even with the MVP desk, when simply searching CMB-JFK they could only see Y availability.

But, yes, you can book a mixed award itinerary.
JFKHKG in F. HKGSIN in Y+. No sweat.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Booking a trip to HKG next February for my mom and grandparents:

Very surprised with the availability as I was able to snag: 2 First, 1 Business and 2 Premium Economy Seats from LAX to HKG. I was just hoping to get everyone on the same flight, even if it was just economy. First time redemption with AS. Agents were great and the process could not have been easier. I think I almost prefer the fact that these can't be booked online.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Voldoo
Booking a trip to HKG next February for my mom and grandparents:

Very surprised with the availability as I was able to snag: 2 First, 1 Business and 2 Premium Economy Seats from LAX to HKG. I was just hoping to get everyone on the same flight, even if it was just economy. First time redemption with AS. Agents were great and the process could not have been easier. I think I almost prefer the fact that these can't be booked online.
All the hassles everyone gets saves more space for me
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Very surprised with the availability as I was able to snag: 2 First,,,,,, from LAX to HKG.
Where these on the same flight or sequential flights? It's highly unusual to find 2 F on the same flight. Congrats to your success overall for the family booking.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Where these on the same flight or sequential flights? It's highly unusual to find 2 F on the same flight. Congrats to your success overall for the family booking.
Sorry, I should have specified; The 2 Fs were on sequential flights.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sorry, I should have specified; The 2 Fs were on sequential flights.
Congrats ^
Was thinking CX was becoming more generous with F2 on a flight
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:16 pm

I know none of you have a crystal ball but I'm just looking for 'in my experience' type responses.. I'm hoping to snag two business awards on Cathay for May - if I'm relatively flexible on the day I fly over (happy to go a day either side of my preferred date) and also have flexibility of potentially flying out from a different city (preferring BNE-HKG but happy to fly down to SYD to leave instead), are the chances of these opening up a few days/weeks beforehand pretty good? From what I can see there is at least 9 seats available still on my ideal route on May 18th.

It's my first time booking an award on Alaska so I'm not sure how confident I should be feeling.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cuzzzzzie
I know none of you have a crystal ball but I'm just looking for 'in my experience' type responses.. I'm hoping to snag two business awards on Cathay for May - if I'm relatively flexible on the day I fly over (happy to go a day either side of my preferred date) and also have flexibility of potentially flying out from a different city (preferring BNE-HKG but happy to fly down to SYD to leave instead), are the chances of these opening up a few days/weeks beforehand pretty good? From what I can see there is at least 9 seats available still on my ideal route on May 18th.

It's my first time booking an award on Alaska so I'm not sure how confident I should be feeling.
What is your entire desired route? Availability close in is usually very good. I booked 2 J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS in November for flights in mid February. There was still J availability on the route up to date of departue. At T-11 I upgraded 1 to F on HKG-BOS. There was J & F availability on every flight 3 days before and three days after my departure at T-4 days. No futher F released on my flight and we departed with three of six seats occupied.

James
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:24 am

Oh nice, that sounds good. The entire booking I'm wanting is just BNE-HKG in J (no F in that route) on the 18th of May. Only needing one way. I was under the impression availability was pretty good close to departure but searching on British Airways site the last couple of weeks trying to get a feel for their schedule (like searching the a week out from whatever date I'm searching on) it seems like it's pretty hit or miss.

Thanks for your response, helps relax me a bit!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Oh nice, that sounds good. The entire booking I'm wanting is just BNE-HKG in J (no F in that route) on the 18th of May. Only needing one way. I was under the impression availability was pretty good close to departure but searching on British Airways site the last couple of weeks trying to get a feel for their schedule (like searching the a week out from whatever date I'm searching on) it seems like it's pretty hit or miss.

Thanks for your response, helps relax me a bit!
close in award availability is always pretty consistent, and close in means about 3 to 10 days from date of travel. I personally have never traveled in a CX award needing a very specific date - but I’ve always found what I needed ..

good luck !
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

May is not in demand for either hk or au (one hk public holidays on 21/5 excepted) so you should get what you want. Also can redeem QF (whose seat I like more than cx)

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 25, 2018 at 4:09 am
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:26 am

Oh, can you? When I search the award chart it shows Cathay as the only option for Aus to Honks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.