Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by eethan
Searching Qantas shows at least 3 seats in J, TLV-HKG. But the AS agent can't see anything!

Same thing happened last year too on another CX route, but I was able to tweak dates and AS finally saw what the rest of OW could see.

Is there a pattern or rule to any of this. - Would waiting a couple of days cause AS to refresh there systems and see what everyone else can see?
Its funny this is being discussed now as I was just looking for availability in and out of TLV but saw absolutely nothing for months. Especially since they only have one Flight a day.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
There really is no TLV availability

Scratch that - I called AA and they couldn't see any J seats in both directions, either 11 months out or 1 - 2 weeks out.

Apparently, both QF and BA sites are showing phantom availability, including for flights 1 week out.

This changes my plans, if there really are zero J seats on this route.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Scratch that - I called AA and they couldn't see any J seats in both directions, either 11 months out or 1 - 2 weeks out.

Apparently, both QF and BA sites are showing phantom availability, including for flights 1 week out.

This changes my plans, if there really are zero J seats on this route.
Yeah I have been looking the last few months for ANYTHING on that CX flight to TLV because MileagePlan really has nobody that will get you to TLV, except for the dreaded BA with an overnight sometimes. I wish they’d let you redeem at least TLV-Europe, then you could book another award/carrier to get from Europe back to the states. Also too bad Emirates is political and does not go to TLV.

But there is zero award space in ANY cabin on that TLV-HKG-TLV flight. That’s too bad because if you want to get the TLV the options are almost non-existent.

Hopefully this changes when we can redeem on AY and SQ.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Too difficult to get, perhaps bc there are none

I've never seen anything like this. Award searches return phantom availability. AA and AS agents see different things. It's a total crapshoot to book this. I finally gave up and just got 2 PY seats TLV-HKG, then flying in J HKG-LAX a couple days later. Matrix shows $200 in fees per ticket, but AS only charged me $100 per person. Is that right?

Israel Departure Passenger Airport Tax International (IL)$26.81
CX YR surcharge (YR)$97.40
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3)$20.50
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK)$15.30
Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge (I5)$5.80
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)$3.96
US Immigration Fee (XY)$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)$5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US)$18.00

Last edited by eethan; Dec 24, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've never seen anything like this. Award searches return phantom availability. AA and AS agents see different things. It's a total crapshoot to book this. I finally gave up and just got 2 PY seats TLV-HKG, then flying in J HKG-LAX a couple days later. Matrix shows $200 in fees per ticket, but AS only charged me $100 per person. Is that right?

Israel Departure Passenger Airport Tax International (IL)$26.81
CX YR surcharge (YR)$97.40
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3)$20.50
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK)$15.30
Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge (I5)$5.80
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)$3.96
US Immigration Fee (XY)$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)$5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US)$18.00
Is that breakdown from ITA? My guess is you are not getting charged "CX YR surcharge (YR)$97.40" I do not believe that applies to AS awards. That's a "fuel" surcharge.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Is that breakdown from ITA? My guess is you are not getting charged "CX YR surcharge (YR)$97.40" I do not believe that applies to AS awards. That's a "fuel" surcharge.
I believe you are correct, I booked two J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS for February and the fees and partner booking charge was $107.xx each ticket. Surcharges are illegal ex-HKG so it applies to all airlines including BA.

James
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
They also dropped ONE seat SFO-HKG on the 26th in F and I grabbed it! It connected up nicely with a J seat on the 27th from HKG to JNB (they just made a ton of seats available, the flight is wide open). 70K all the way? Yes please.

Burned my Avianca LifeMiles to get back - that made all of our struggles using Mileage Plan to book CX look trivial. It was actually possible to return the other direction via HKG and YVR but I wanted to dump the LifeMiles, since I don't trust they won't devalue again.

Originally Posted by reverted
Looks like CX finally dumped a bunch of F seats for the week of Christmas on HKG-LAX. QF and BA both returned a few seats sprinkled throughout the entire week. Called up Alaska and the partner desk was able to change my ticket from J to F for $0.60 tax! Happy early Christmas to me!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TProphet
They also dropped ONE seat SFO-HKG on the 26th in F and I grabbed it! It connected up nicely with a J seat on the 27th from HKG to JNB (they just made a ton of seats available, the flight is wide open). 70K all the way? Yes please.

Burned my Avianca LifeMiles to get back - that made all of our struggles using Mileage Plan to book CX look trivial. It was actually possible to return the other direction via HKG and YVR but I wanted to dump the LifeMiles, since I don't trust they won't devalue again.
Congratulations, Santa came early for you. We are doing JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS in J. I am hoping HKG-BOS F will open up for us for mid February. I'll happily plunk down an additional 7.5K miles and 60 cents for F. It would be a nice completion of an 8 week around the world vacation starting Jan 1st. Nearly 49,000 flight miles all booked in J and F on awards. 😁

James
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

I am looking for something to get back to the states, starting next month. I guesss CX usually waits a little longer to release, but I’m having trouble finding ANYTHING to get back to the states. I’ve tried every city in the US from HKG in J or F, and there is absolutely nothing in early February. I suppose they usually wait a few more weeks to release F. But there’s usually a few J seats sprinkled around here and there, but it’s not the case so has me a little concerned.
Is it possible Chinese New Years is messing up the award availability?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:07 pm

Hi -

You answered your own question. Chinese New Year is a very tough time for F/J award space -- it will be sporadic and only released at the last minute.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

You answered your own question. Chinese New Year is a very tough time for F/J award space -- it will be sporadic and only released at the last minute.
Cr ap. I have HKG-LAX on Feb 6th, but wanted to come back sooner. Guess I will just have to keep it unless something else comes up.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:15 pm

Hi -

Remember that CX overbooks Y and bump people into PE, which bumps people into J which bumps people into F. They will only release F on a flight for AS redemption once they are convinced this process is complete and that Asia Miles members have had a chance to redeem first.

I have had an F seat open up 16 hours before departure and another time a J seat open up as I was boarding the AS connecting flight.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Remember that CX overbooks Y and bump people into PE, which bumps people into J which bumps people into F. They will only release F on a flight for AS redemption once they are convinced this process is complete and that Asia Miles members have had a chance to redeem first.

I have had an F seat open up 16 hours before departure and another time a J seat open up as I was boarding the AS connecting flight.
Yes, if there is one thing to give credit where credit is due it’s that CX does release their premium empty cabins somewhat close to departure.

Unlike annoying carriers like QF, AF, KLM who just routinely let cabins fly out empty, because god forbid someone should redeem a premier award on a longhaul flight.

QF has got to be the absolute worst offender at this. Although, AF is definitely tied if not worse. It’s really amazing. They routinely will let F or J go out completely empty. Alaska should punish them by not letting their members make it easy to redeem on Alaska because lord knows we get the short end of the stick when we want to redeem premium awards on QF. I can’t say I’m too sorry to see AF and KLM go. In 10 years of Alaska awards, I don’t think I ever saw one open air France or KLM award, much less a premium one.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Dec 25, 2017 at 3:31 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
On BA, HKG-LAX shows one CX884 seat available in PE on 7th of March. AS could see this last seat.

However, on 7th of March, between CGK-HKG, these are available on BA:
CX798: 8 PE, 8 J
CX752: Both PE and J are wide open
CX718: 1 Y
But AS doesn't see any of the above!

On 6th of March between CGK-HKG, BA shows CX798, CX718 and CX776 wide open in PE and J. AS doesn't see any space!

The closest date AS sees space between CGK-HKG is 5th of March on CX718 only (although CX798, CX752 and CX718 are supposed to be wide open on all 3 flights in PE and J).

For HKG-CGK on 25th of March, all 3 flights are wide open in J and PE - AS sees all these seats.

I wonder why AS has trouble seeing most space between CGK-HKG but usually sees HKG-CGK accurately.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hightide
On BA, HKG-LAX shows one CX884 seat available in PE on 7th of March. AS could see this last seat.

However, on 7th of March, between CGK-HKG, these are available on BA:
CX798: 8 PE, 8 J
CX752: Both PE and J are wide open
CX718: 1 Y
But AS doesn't see any of the above!

On 6th of March between CGK-HKG, BA shows CX798, CX718 and CX776 wide open in PE and J. AS doesn't see any space!

The closest date AS sees space between CGK-HKG is 5th of March on CX718 only (although CX798, CX752 and CX718 are supposed to be wide open on all 3 flights in PE and J).

For HKG-CGK on 25th of March, all 3 flights are wide open in J and PE - AS sees all these seats.

I wonder why AS has trouble seeing most space between CGK-HKG but usually sees HKG-CGK accurately.
This is an age old question. It happens all the time of it showing on all the search engines, but AS agents can’t see it. Im fairly certain AS is given different inventory than that of OW and their own Marco Polo members to choose from. The only times (in my experience) where an AS agent sees exactly what’s presented on the other search engines is when it’s about 6 to 8 or more months out planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.