Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Happy
When was this more reasonable policy in effect?

It certainly was not waived on our last AS redemption.

This was the charge details on our JNB-HKG//HKG-LAX-SEA-SLC ticket
Base Fare and Surcharges: $6.00
Taxes and Other Fees: $133.96
Ticketing Fee: $15.00
Partner Award Booking Fee: $12.50
Traveler total:
Total fare: USD $167.46
I think its a YMMV and not an official policy to waive, unless you hold MVPG or higher status.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
I think its a YMMV and not an official policy to waive, unless you hold MVPG or higher status.
If so, the following statement by eponymous_coward is totally UNTRUE.as he said the phone fee is waived because CX cannot be booked online. He did not say it was always a phone fee, but waived for elites from MVPG and up.
I dont think waiving phone fee due to one's elite status would equal to the phone fee would be waived because the flight cannot be booked online. How would you think?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Nope. That's the partner fee. Partner fee is NEVER waived. Phone fee is separate.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Partner award booking fee is never waived, regardless of status.

I've always had top-level status, and have never been charged a phone fee when redeeming CX. I've helped MP members without status redeem CX awards. Upon request, the phone fee was waived.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Modify or upgrade an award after flying the first leg?

I just spent a half hour with international agent trying to upgrade an existing Cathay award from J to F. Caveat is that first CX leg is already flown. I'm now stopping over before flying my last leg, which is the one I'm trying to upgrade.

Agent was able to confirm the F seat and she tried with a supervisor to ticket it, but couldn't. I asked if they could just cancel and issue a new award, then manually credit me any miles. But this was rejected.

Anyone successfully modified or upgraded an award after flying the first leg?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eethan
I just spent a half hour with international agent trying to upgrade an existing Cathay award from J to F. Caveat is that first CX leg is already flown. I'm now stopping over before flying my last leg, which is the one I'm trying to upgrade.

Agent was able to confirm the F seat and she tried with a supervisor to ticket it, but couldn't. I asked if they could just cancel and issue a new award, then manually credit me any miles. But this was rejected.

Anyone successfully modified or upgraded an award after flying the first leg?
I've changed downline CX segments after flying my AS positioning segment ANC-LAX. LAX-HKG was confirmed in F already, but I changed my cabin (and departure date) HKG-Japan. ^
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've changed downline CX segments after flying my AS positioning segment ANC-LAX. LAX-HKG was confirmed in F already, but I changed my cabin (and departure date) HKG-Japan. ^
I surmise you were able to change because your Cathay "ticket" was still unflown. If anyone has changed their CX award after starting their CX flights, let us know any specific steps the AS agent took to make it possible.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by eethan
I surmise you were able to change because your Cathay "ticket" was still unflown. If anyone has changed their CX award after starting their CX flights, let us know any specific steps the AS agent took to make it possible.
I would be shocked if anyone has succeeded. Btw, this is why you should never book round trip awards on Cathay. It’s also why you should book awards for individual segments, as long as you don’t mind the higher spend. DPS to JFK always requires an overnight in HKG if you don’t want to take the one stop via YVR. I always ticket DPSHKG and HKGJFK separately as the long haul award is often released while I’m inflight or once on the ground in HKG.

Jamie
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
If anybody wants to get their phone fees waived just mentioned my handle.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
If anybody wants to get their phone fees waived just mentioned my handle.
I’m beginning to understand your unique posts. You must own Mileage Plan. That also explains your “insurmountable” quantity of miles.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Partner award booking fee is never waived, regardless of status.

I've always had top-level status, and have never been charged a phone fee when redeeming CX. I've helped MP members without status redeem CX awards. Upon request, the phone fee was waived.
Why does AS not waive partner booking fee for Gold/75K? Just too lucrative for them since the biggest draw to their FFP is the partner earnings / redemptions .. I guess
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:02 pm
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
Is CX blocking award space?
I am seeing F6 A6 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9
L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 on a flight I want, but no space showed up on BA website and AS hotline...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
F6 A6 doesn't 'necessarily' mean award space available.
qsh likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by qsh
L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 on a flight I want, but no space showed up on BA website and AS hotline...
Yes, this is a real problem. For some reason it seems like they only release a limited amount of seats to AS at a time. If your flights are semi-close (2.5 weeks to 5 days to departure) availability will almost never line up with QF or BA’s tool, and AS is more limited. Very far out, maybe 6-12 months, the QF and BA tools are usually accurate for what AS sees.

Also many times they will only release one seat at a time. As an example sometimes when the J cabin is wide open, they’ll only give AS one award seat. Let’s say you wanted to book two seats. You should book that one seat, and if the cabin is wide open, usually they will release another seat either right after, or shortly after you book the one seat. This can apply to F too, but the cabin has to be very empty.
Also I’ve noticed about between two days and 12 hours before departure they will release a lot of seats if the plane is empty. I’ve even see them release two F seats to AS. Obviously you have to be very flexible for this. But this will sometimes lead me to calling AS 3x in a day to see if anything has opened up. Especially if I’m in F, and want F on a different flight that day. Patience, and persistence is the name of the game.
qsh likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by qsh
And?
How far out is this flight?
Not every flight has award space.
How do you know there haven't been award seats already redeemed (In business, PE, or economy)?
If CX expects they can sell those seats, what makes you think there's any "blocking" going on?
pbd456 and qsh like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Yes, this is a real problem. For some reason it seems like they only release a limited amount of seats to AS at a time. If your flights are semi-close (2.5 weeks to 5 days to departure) availability will almost never line up with QF or BA’s tool, and AS is more limited. Very far out, maybe 6-12 months, the QF and BA tools are usually accurate for what AS sees.

Also many times they will only release one seat at a time. As an example sometimes when the J cabin is wide open, they’ll only give AS one award seat. Let’s say you wanted to book two seats. You should book that one seat, and if the cabin is wide open, usually they will release another seat either right after, or shortly after you book the one seat. This can apply to F too, but the cabin has to be very empty.
Also I’ve noticed about between two days and 12 hours before departure they will release a lot of seats if the plane is empty. I’ve even see them release two F seats to AS. Obviously you have to be very flexible for this. But this will sometimes lead me to calling AS 3x in a day to see if anything has opened up. Especially if I’m in F, and want F on a different flight that day. Patience, and persistence is the name of the game.
I didn't have any issue booking two CX J awards with Alaska for JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS at 4 months out. QF showed availability of two. I called AS and had the tickets issued in about 10 minutes. Also booked a CX J on the A350 YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS four months out too. AS matched what QF was showing. In both cases when I went back to QF the award seats were no longer available. I guess I have been lucky. I haven't had any difficulty booking EY F (AA), EK J, QF Domestic Business, SQ J (SPG) and CX J all at 4 months or less out.

James
qsh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.