Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Priority Pass app now lists opening hours for The Club at SEA in Concourse A as 7 am to midnight daily as of April 25.

South satellite location has hours of 6 am to 5:30 pm.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Sunday, April 23, 4:30pm, D and N lounges: sign out.

N lounge was half empty. Desk person said they were hoping a group would leave soon so they could take the sign down.

Neil
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
PDX Lounge: Sunday, 4/23, 6 PM, about 75% full.

No sign out, graciously admitted entry for myself and 2 sons (with box of Voodoo donuts). Kept my head low and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Alaska Ambers before our flight. Yeah, it's a small place with basic offerings but it's somehow still a bit of a respite for me and I appreciate the Pacific NW beers they have. And the Longboard Lager.

Be back thru PDX in a couple of weeks: fingers are crossed but doubt lightning will strike twice for me.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
PDX Lounge: Sunday, 4/23, 6 PM, about 75% full.

No sign out, graciously admitted entry for myself and 2 sons (with box of Voodoo donuts). Kept my head low and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Alaska Ambers before our flight. Yeah, it's a small place with basic offerings but it's somehow still a bit of a respite for me and I appreciate the Pacific NW beers they have. And the Longboard Lager.

Be back thru PDX in a couple of weeks: fingers are crossed but doubt lightning will strike twice for me.
I hate to break it to you, but in a couple of weeks, even if the lounge is empty, you won't be allowed...no more Priority Pass Select starting May 1st
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
Priority Pass app now lists opening hours for The Club at SEA in Concourse A as 7 am to midnight daily as of April 25.

South satellite location has hours of 6 am to 5:30 pm.
^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:30 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I hate to break it to you, but in a couple of weeks, even if the lounge is empty, you won't be allowed...no more Priority Pass Select starting May 1st
Is this for all locations, or just PDX?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RJ1
Is this for all locations, or just PDX?
According to the AS Twitter team, for now, it's just PDX. My guess is that it will eventually go system wide because if you don't follow this whole saga on travel blogs like FT, it's going to be very confusing (read: frustrating) for someone who gets denied entry at an AL in PDX, but regularly visits the other lounges. If this ends up being implemented one lounge at a time, my guess after PDX is that the SEA lounges will shut down to PP, then LAX, and finally ANC.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Yeah, I'd gathered that from following this thread so don't be too hard on yourself. I guess I should say that my fingers are crossed in hopes that cooler heads will prevail and something may change for the anticipated arraignment, not so much for my one-off next time. But I really don't expect that to happen.

I was about 95% sure we'd never get in last night, especially upon walking in and seeing that it was fairly full. But maybe it was their way of giving me a parting gift...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Yeah, I'd gathered that from following this thread so don't be too hard on yourself. I guess I should say that my fingers are crossed in hopes that cooler heads will prevail and something may change for the anticipated arraignment, not so much for my one-off next time. But I really don't expect that to happen.

I was about 95% sure we'd never get in last night, especially upon walking in and seeing that it was fairly full. But maybe it was their way of giving me a parting gift...
Yeah, I'm still in a state of shock that they let me in last Saturday morning after fully expecting the sign to be out. The good news for the staff at the AL is that after May 1st they won't need to bother with the sign at all
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
According to the AS Twitter team, for now, it's just PDX. My guess is that it will eventually go system wide because if you don't follow this whole saga on travel blogs like FT, it's going to be very confusing (read: frustrating) for someone who gets denied entry at an AL in PDX, but regularly visits the other lounges. If this ends up being implemented one lounge at a time, my guess after PDX is that the SEA lounges will shut down to PP, then LAX, and finally ANC.
There are many airlines that have some lounges open to PP and others not, so it doesn't need to be implemented systemwide. It's more of a capacity question.

I am pretty sure that PP pays AS for every PP entry... I don't know what the rate is, but presumably something less than the $27 that PP charges for guests, so perhaps $20. It's quite a lot of money for AS to give up, so I would guess they'll try to continue to admit PP members during less busy times, if they can manage it.

When does the C lounge open in SEA? That will reduce the pressure on D.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
There are many airlines that have some lounges open to PP and others not, so it doesn't need to be implemented systemwide. It's more of a capacity question.

I am pretty sure that PP pays AS for every PP entry... I don't know what the rate is, but presumably something less than the $27 that PP charges for guests, so perhaps $20. It's quite a lot of money for AS to give up, so I would guess they'll try to continue to admit PP members during less busy times, if they can manage it.

When does the C lounge open in SEA? That will reduce the pressure on D.
While "capacity issues" is generally the reason given for not accepting PP, that reason is still up for debate since the sign has been out at various lounges when they were clearly less than 50%....there are even reports of the sign not being out when the the lounge was relatively full....so, there appears to be no real rhyme or reason for when the sign is out. The only noticeable trend based on numerious FTer reports is that the sign appears to be out more often than not.

They were very clear about PDX no longer accepting PP after May 1st so I doubt they are going to start admitting PP members during "slow" times.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by seacarl
There are many airlines that have some lounges open to PP and others not, so it doesn't need to be implemented systemwide.
And Alaska Club members enjoy access to some United Clubs, but not all. So it certainly doesn't have to be an all or nothing program.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
While "capacity issues" is generally the reason given for not accepting PP, that reason is still up for debate since the sign has been out at various lounges when they were clearly less than 50%....there are even reports of the sign not being out when the the lounge was relatively full....so, there appears to be no real rhyme or reason for when the sign is out.
That may be simply be poor execution - not removing it when they could, or having a prescribed schedule, and not deviating when it's not busy, or knowing that typically another wave will arrive.
They were very clear about PDX no longer accepting PP after May 1st so I doubt they are going to start admitting PP members during "slow" times.
If they say it won't be accepted there, then I don't expect them to deviate.

Interestingly, at other airlines, the credit card partner has demanded removal of PP access (or PP Select). That doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
9 a.m. this morning, 24 April. D Concourse. No sign out. VERY affable check-in agents. Priority Club machine broken and they had to do it manually. I said "I was suprised the sign wasn't out; you guys must really get frustrated with all the PP Select folks." She said, "No, not really. We're glad to have you when we can. This is a mess that Chase created and I understand they're taking a lot of heat for it too."

There was one seat available downstairs.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And Alaska Club members enjoy access to some United Clubs, but not all. So it certainly doesn't have to be an all or nothing program.
I was really bummed when they removed access from the United Club at IAH Terminal A in Houston. That lounge is right across from the Alaska gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.