Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:15 am

It is clear to me that AS wants nothing to do with PP. The proof for me: I was at Sea-Tac just as North Carolina won the national championship. People were streaming out of the B concourse Board Room literally by the dozens when the game ended. But the sign was still out. I thought maybe they just didn't remember to change it. So I went in and asked. - no dice. Told they need time "to recover". The place was mostly empty.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
No PP sign was out this morning at the SEA D club. Asked about getting in anyway on a SEA-SFO-JFK award ticket booked in first where SEA-SFO was coach (waitlisted for first and never cleared) on AS and SFO-JFK was in VX F. Was told no but the lady next to the person who was telling me no said that she thought I should have access per new rules and then, after checking with a supervisor (her escalation, not mine, I would have happily left), I was permitted entry. Top level of the club was 90% full. Bottom level was 60-65% full.
Interesting scenario...I'm on a first class award ticket EWR-SEA-PDX but SEA-PDX is on a QX with no first class, would they still let me in the lounge based on EWR-SEA?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bofc
It is clear to me that AS wants nothing to do with PP. The proof for me: I was at Sea-Tac just as North Carolina won the national championship. People were streaming out of the B concourse Board Room literally by the dozens when the game ended. But the sign was still out. I thought maybe they just didn't remember to change it. So I went in and asked. - no dice. Told they need time "to recover". The place was mostly empty.
Yep...the end is near for PP and Alaska.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yep...the end is near for PP and Alaska.
I totally understand the reasons why this is an eventuality. However, I doubt that I am the only elite that has been accessing the lounge with priority pass for years. If they take away acceptance of priority pass, it does lessen the value proposition of being an Alaska elite- particularly when their biggest rival at sea-tac offers a superior lounge that is available for complimentary use with the Amex Plat.

Still, so long as Alaska stays a mileage based earning program, the value remains skewed toward them, IMO.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I think they'll go the way of united and allow PP members in but not PPS members. Our they might just drop PP.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bretmd
I totally understand the reasons why this is an eventuality. However, I doubt that I am the only elite that has been accessing the lounge with priority pass for years. If they take away acceptance of priority pass, it does lessen the value proposition of being an Alaska elite- particularly when their biggest rival at sea-tac offers a superior lounge that is available for complimentary use with the Amex Plat.

Still, so long as Alaska stays a mileage based earning program, the value remains skewed toward them, IMO.
Well said, I agree 100%.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by missydarlin
In general, changes to PP benefits are more likely to be officially published or confirmed by PP than AS.
But the first point of customer contact will be the AS sign at the door
I would say the sign rules at this point.

Originally Posted by bofc
There is certainly less work for the lounge staff when the sign is out.
They may have less concern whether AS is making money or not.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by hiima
I think they'll go the way of united and allow PP members in but not PPS members. Our they might just drop PP.
I also suspect that, if a shakeup is coming, Lounge Club may not be affected.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by hiima
Originally Posted by jpdx
I also suspect that, if a shakeup is coming, Lounge Club may not be affected.
As posted earlier, PP and Lounge Club are administered by the same company.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by dayone
As posted earlier, PP and Lounge Club are administered by the same company.
I'm well aware of that, but it appears that the unwashed PP masses are a problem, while the occasional Lounge Club member is not. You know, gallon ziplock bag vs the occasional handful of pretzels.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm well aware of that
Congratulations on being so well-informed. Perhaps "the unwashed PP masses" will find my post enlightening.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Interesting scenario...I'm on a first class award ticket EWR-SEA-PDX but SEA-PDX is on a QX with no first class, would they still let me in the lounge based on EWR-SEA?
Yes in SEA, should in PDX. Paid/Award F access is same day.

OP was on a VX F/AS Y itinerary and it sounds like AL management is finally making the easy decision to extend access to those pax as well. Something that I think they should have announced on closure date.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
6:40p, 4/14 - No PP sign out at D Lounge, which surprised me because security was essentially empty so I figured I would be set.

Sign bans PP, "Lounge Club card holders," "Lounge Buddy purchased Day Passes" and "Day Pass holders".

Rep said N was open, but I was flying AS out of D1 (which I made sure to mention, to no avail) so I didn't go over and look. She said CSR was the issue, but that the Clubs at SEA will be extending hours and between that and the opening of the C Board Room it should alleviate things.

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; Apr 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
6:40p, 4/14 - No PP sign out at D Lounge, which surprised me because security was essentially empty so I figured I would be set.

Sign bans PP, "Lounge Club card holders," "Lounge Buddy purchased Day Passes" and "Day Pass holders".

Rep said N was open, but I was flying AS out of D1 (which I made sure to mention, to no avail) so I didn't go over and look. She said CSR was the issue, but that the Clubs at SEA will be extending hours and between that and the opening of the C Board Room it should alleviate things.
My guess is that the SEA lounges will go the way of the PDX lounge and stop allowing PP "Select" long before the new C lounge opens. That is good news about the extended hours at the Clubs at SEA....my hope is that PP will open up a Club at PDX after May 1st (when the AS PDX lounge closes to PP Select).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman

As I mentioned before, if I were a 75K with an electronic pass and saw that sign, I would think it applies to me and move on....not a great way for some of your best customers to start their travels....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.