Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It probably would have helped at least a little if Alaska AND Priority Pass would have communicated the May 1st deadline at PDX a few weeks prior...they've obviously known about it for weeks....why not let everyone know in-advance to avoid at least *some* frustration?? The communication (or lack thereof) has been poor to say the least.
Helped with what? I would still fly the same trips (access or no access to an Alaska Club isn't a meaningful factor for me). So not clear what it would really change.

And how do they "let everyone know in advance" -- I'd bet most people with PP cards don't follow this thread/site. And if they had added the note that now appears on the PP site a month earlier, would that really have made any meaningful difference for anyone? I at least don't spend a lot of time looking at changes for lounge access policies when planning future travel.

it's just a fairly mediocre lounge with a Holiday Inn Express pancake printer, folks! You aren't being denied free access to a Michelin 3 star restaurant!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If "Select" members are suddenly being shut out at more and more lounges people need to start screaming at their CC's that are providing these "Select" memberships to make them standard top tier PP memberships as they are becoming useless. The CC can still provide the other benefits they offer for their PP memberships just as they do now if they wanted to. And having the membership is part of the justification of the higher annual fees these credit cards are getting.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
This thread has so much misinformation. From Priority Pass website for PDX, SEA and LAX:

Effective 01MAY, due to capacity constraints, the lounge cannot accommodate accompanying guests at this time.
No, they are not leaving the program on May 1st.

Yes, after May 1st you will be able to access those lounges still with your Priority Pass card (Select or otherwise). Still could potentially see the signs out denying access I'd guess.

But no, you probably won't be able to bring a guest with you.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Helped with what? I would still fly the same trips (access or no access to an Alaska Club isn't a meaningful factor for me). So not clear what it would really change.

And how do they "let everyone know in advance" -- I'd bet most people with PP cards don't follow this thread/site. And if they had added the note that now appears on the PP site a month earlier, would that really have made any meaningful difference for anyone? I at least don't spend a lot of time looking at changes for lounge access policies when planning future travel.

it's just a fairly mediocre lounge with a Holiday Inn Express pancake printer, folks! You aren't being denied free access to a Michelin 3 star restaurant!
Helped with what I said in my comment....customer frustration....yes, many people don't read up on lounge access changes, but some might...helping customers (some of whom are some of their best customers) feel like they are "in the loop" is typically a good thing in my book.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Back when UA was doing this there was a note on the page for all UA clubs saying that PP members who obtained their membership through their financial institution can't access this lounge. There is no such wording on the Alaska Lounge pages despite the fact that the pages were obviously updated today with the no guest restriction. Unless AS is planning to restrict Select members manually by having the lounge agent look at the card, I think it's unlikely.
^ I suspect plans have changed and AS and PP agreed to move forward with the new no guest policy instead of restricting PP Select memberships at one or more locations.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a Twitter response saying that the plan to quit accepting PP "Select" at the PDX lounge has been "paused" in favor of a plan to just deny PP guests (based on customer feedback). So, we'll see what happens now...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

I got a Twitter response saying that the plan to quit accepting PP "Select" at the PDX lounge has been "paused" in favor of a plan to just deny PP guests (based on customer feedback). So, we'll see what happens now...
I wonder if that's in addition to long random times of the SignTM being out...

Again, it still sucks having set times that the lounge is "closed" but I think I would still like that more then the random guessing game. At least then I would try to book my flights around the busy times. This thread has helped a lot on that, but still is a toss up a bit...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by acarney
I wonder if that's in addition to long random times of the SignTM being out.
That would be my guess. AS will use the sign until the new PDX Lounge, rumored to be almost three times the current size, opens, hopefully later in 2018.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Also, any rumors on if it's expanding in the same location (is there room?) or will it be relocated somewhere...
Sorry. I edited your post in error (rookie mod mistake). Please repost and I'll reply to it.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 28, 2017 at 6:06 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Chase and Citi will then need to update all their documentation that says credit card holders and their guests can enter the lounges with a big asterisk.

Also, is the PP guest ban going to apply after the SEA C lounge opens? I presume this policy is until further notice...

When my wife is there I will still try and go in every time and have them tell me she is not allowed.

Yes, I could pay to join the lounge but seriously, if I am on an Alaska flight in First (upgrade) with a PP card and my wife and a lounge half full and still get turned away?

I think it would have been much more reasonable to limit to ONE guest which is consistent with some other lounge access rules.
I think this will make PP members even more angry when they are told they can almost get in but can't because they have a guest with them.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS
I think they (AS) is waiting to see how many drop their CSR cards when they have to re up this fall. If the number drops significantly, then they may go back to include 1 companion upon entry.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:47 pm

No sign at SEA D at opening today (5am). Quite a long line though, a mix of BR members and PP. The agents were informing PP folks of the May 1 effective date for no PP guests.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeflyer
No sign at SEA D at opening today (5am). Quite a long line though, a mix of BR members and PP. The agents were informing PP folks of the May 1 effective date for no PP guests.
I was under the impression that the May 1st date only applied to the PDX lounge...I guess it's going systemwide (which I figured would happen, but not that soon).
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I was under the impression that the May 1st date only applied to the PDX lounge...I guess it's going systemwide (which I figured would happen, but not that soon).
Not entirely systemwide, but at SEA, PDX and LAX. (No more guesting privileges for Priority Pass holders.)
Old May 1, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by acarney
Sorry. I edited your post in error (rookie mod mistake). Please repost and I'll reply to it.
Good going!! Do you know how long it took me to remember what I asked? :P

I think I was wondering if there was any news on if the PDX expanding AL would be moving to a new location, or if there was enough space around the current one to make the expansion at it's current location...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.