Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
5/8 - PDX 5:45am. Sign out said No PP or Lounge Club. Have AL membership and so I was admitted. Lounge was pretty full. Not a lot of seats together which I have heard them say is one of the things they look at.

I ended up sitting near the front desk. Multiple people denied. One left saying "that's it, I'm cancelling the credit card". Another said, "the sign is always out". Desk agent noted that Monday morning was the busiest time. Desk agent also noted uptick in use with CSR popularity
Old May 8, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
So it is sounding like really no change as of 5/1 except permanently and officially banning guests now. PP is still only on space available basis.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
...and it was out last night in front of the SEA D lounge. The format was a bit different and simpler so they did re-print/reword it but it did say no PP AT ALL

I am thinking the agreement was to limit guests all the time and see if that opens up some more space but if it is near capacity they still reserve the right to restrict further.
Due to the weather/delay issues, I am sure the lounges were mobbed.
I, too, tried to get in the SEA D lounge on May 5. Sign was out and I even asked but no go. Same deal on April 28, and this was mid-afternoon. I have tried 6 times over the past month and the sign is out every single time. So it seems that there will be no more lounge access for this girl.

The funny part is that I don't drink and I rarely eat anything. I just want a nice place to sit with decent internet and a cup of tea or a Diet Coke. And I just can't believe the crowds are always that bad. I have never seen it that crowded myself. Maybe it's the times that I go but it is usually never more than half full. I think they are doing it because they can. Very disappointing.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
I, too, tried to get in the SEA D lounge on May 5. Sign was out and I even asked but no go. Same deal on April 28, and this was mid-afternoon. I have tried 6 times over the past month and the sign is out every single time. So it seems that there will be no more lounge access for this girl.

The funny part is that I don't drink and I rarely eat anything. I just want a nice place to sit with decent internet and a cup of tea or a Diet Coke. And I just can't believe the crowds are always that bad. I have never seen it that crowded myself. Maybe it's the times that I go but it is usually never more than half full. I think they are doing it because they can. Very disappointing.
+1....visited the AL in PDX, SEA, LAX, and ANC....it's never been so busy that I couldn't find a seat somewhere. I think we all had high hopes that the sign would slowly disappear with the implementation of the new "no guest" policy, but as I've said before, based on numerous reports of near-empty lounges with the sign still displayed, this is not entirely a capacity issue. What the real issue is I suppose is up for debate...
Old May 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Lounge use will probably get worse for the next few months with the cruise season about to start.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to think that this who PP issue is creating more trouble than it's worth for AS....with the sign being out almost all the time now, they are not only losing PP revenue, but creating frustration among their flyers before they even set foot on the plane.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS
I am still wondering if AS is waiting to see if there is a drop off when CSR holders have to renew this fall and decide to cancel. They have clearly identified the influx of CSR PP holders as the tipping point of capacity issues.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
I am still wondering if AS is waiting to see if there is a drop off when CSR holders have to renew this fall and decide to cancel. They have clearly identified the influx of CSR PP holders as the tipping point of capacity issues.
Good point....as much as I'd personally like to see AS continue being associated with PP (at least on paper), I fully expect this to end with both of them eventually going their separate ways in the not-to-distant-future.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Maybe they should simultaneously drop PP access and launch their own club card.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pcoll
I think CSRers are an easy target. I suspect there are a number of refugees from UA and AA who have redirected their club membership fees/club card spend to CSR, AMEX, or similar premium card with PP as those programs evolved to revenue based and customers started flying more AS.

Yes, CSR had a lucrative promo with a generous guest policy, but the numbers quoted above (4x the number of PP users) I doubt are attributable to CSR alone. Between CSR, AMEX, and Citi Prestige, PP has become quite popular in the U.S., when it wasn't nearly as popular previously.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
I saw some sign outside of N yesterday, but I didn't stop over to read it...
It simply stated "YOU SHALL NOT (P) PASS"
Old May 9, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Walked past D gates today, no sign out.

On my way to N, I noticed the sign..

Said

Lounge Notice
Due to space constraints in the Loung we are currently unable to allow access to:
- Priority Pass card holders
- Lounge Pass card holders
- Lounge Buddy purchased Day Passes
- Day Pass holders

Is a Day Pass holder my (4) 75k passes?
Old May 9, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
There was a report here that 75K passes <> day passes, i.e. they'll get you in when the sign is out. I went back three pages and didn't find it yet.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
75K passes are fine. I used mine once because they didn't accept PP.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
75K passes are fine. I used mine once because they didn't accept PP.

Sounds like a good backup plan, so anyone know what a "Day Pass" is then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.