Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I complained about this on Twitter and Priority Pass asked me to DM them. They said they passed the info on to their regional contact center in Dallas and would be in touch with me. Interesting.

Neil
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
I complained about this on Twitter and Priority Pass asked me to DM them. They said they passed the info on to their regional contact center in Dallas and would be in touch with me. Interesting.

Neil
I basically got the same response as you. What seems to be happening right now is the Alaska Lounge at PDX has officially said no more PP Select after May 1st, but it appears that has not been communicated very well (if at all) to Priority Pass so their lounge contact center is investigating. I'm assuming it will eventually show up on the PP website, but maybe not by May 1st.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I missed the call from PP earlier today but they left voicemail and encouraged me to call them. I did and had a lovely chat with rep there.

She freely admitted they believe Alaska is actively planning to take the lounge private and kick all PP members out even though there's a contract in place. She said the PP executives are keenly aware of this issue and are working on it, and are trying to sign up other lounges in SeaTac to support PP.

I'd encourage people who were denied entry/saw the sign out to call PP and voice your concerns. The number is +1-800-352-2834. Remember that you'll be talking to a front-line customer service rep who has zero control over any of this. Be nice and friendly and just let 'em know it's impacted you so they can have more reports to use as part of planning/discussions with Alaska or other lounges.

Neil
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

She freely admitted they believe Alaska is actively planning to take the lounge private and kick all PP members out even though there's a contract in place. She said the PP executives are keenly aware of this issue and are working on it, and are trying to sign up other lounges in SeaTac to support PP.
Are there any lounges that would be suitable in SEA? Besides the ones they already have (The Club at A/S) of course, which is a much better situation than at PDX...

(and as long as I have an Amex Plat card, I will choose the Centurion Lounge over the AS Club as long as I am not time constrained and departing from N).

Last edited by notquiteaff; Apr 25, 2017 at 5:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are there any lounges that would be suitable in SEA? Besides the ones they already have (The Club at A/S) of course, which is a much better situation than at PDX...
What I was thinking too, the only other ones I can think of are delta, no, amex, definitely no, United, already out.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Perhaps someone visiting the PDX Lounge this week can confirm the May 1 cutoff for PP.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I missed the call from PP earlier today but they left voicemail and encouraged me to call them. I did and had a lovely chat with rep there.

I'd encourage people who were denied entry/saw the sign out to call PP and voice your concerns. The number is +1-800-352-2834. Remember that you'll be talking to a front-line customer service rep who has zero control over any of this. Be nice and friendly and just let 'em know it's impacted you so they can have more reports to use as part of planning/discussions with Alaska or other lounges.

Neil
Thanks for taking the time to speak with them....I agree, voicing your concerns to Priority Pass about this is a great idea....I think we're past the point where voicing concerns to Alaska is going to make much of a difference as it appears they made up their mind months ago. It will be interesting to see how they (Alaska) manage to get out of their contract with Priority Pass...this may happen a lot fast than even I anticipated.

With that said, PP customers (especially AMEX PP) are generally going to be OK in SEA with multiple lounge options and expanded hours. Where this is going to really hurt is going to be PDX and ANC although I do think a "Club at PDX" is definitely a possibility in the future *fingers crossed*.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps someone visiting the PDX Lounge this week can confirm the May 1 cutoff for PP.
Great idea....I was planning on stopping by one last time this weekend if the sign isn't out (which basically means I won't be stopping by...lol).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Agree that I can't think of any other lounges they'd have success signing up in Seattle in the C/D/N gate area. Why on earth would Delta, for example, go along when it will primarily be people flying on their major competition in Seattle?

Neil
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Why on earth would Delta, for example, go along when it will primarily be people flying on their major competition in Seattle?
The $20/guest if they have sufficient spare capacity in the lounge might be a reason.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The $20/guest if they have sufficient spare capacity in the lounge might be a reason.
DL doesn't think like that. Oddly, they try to keep the Sky Club a premium experience.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
DL doesn't think like that. Oddly, they try to keep the Sky Club a premium experience.
Besides, they are getting at least 20$ (possibly) from those that enter using Plat AMEX charge card (with a same day DL flight), right? Also, certain AMEX cards (possibly only DL co-branded) give "discounted" access for $29.

Also given the experience that alaska has had with PP, would Delta really want to deal with it?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Interesting read here.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...priority-pass/

I just signed up for AMEX Platinum card. I no longer bother hitting up AS Lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryL
Lots of rehash from this thread. Since Lucky took this thread as a source but didn't bother to post here what he was told by AS, I will quote the relevant section of his post for everyone's benefit here:

I wasn’t sure if this was true, and hadn’t seen it officially confirmed anywhere, so I decided to follow up with Alaska about this. Here’s what they had to say:

Due to the popularity of some of our lounge locations, we have had to enact temporary limits on certain types of passes, including Priority Pass. We are currently working with Priority Pass on a solution to alleviate space constraints. Once a plan has been agreed upon, Priority Pass will communicate any updates/changes through their communication channels. That said, we do expect that the opening of our new Seattle C Lounge, in June, will help to alleviate the need to restrict access in Seattle.

I specifically asked about the Portland lounge and it supposedly being removed from Priority Pass as of May 1 altogether, and they weren’t aware of such a change happening.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Purple clarion there the lounge is getting $20 per PP swipe. I really doubt they're getting anywhere near that. PP is very likely taking a much bigger cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.