Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Haven't heard of any new "rules" from PP so I'd take the postulations from others with a grain of salt.

That being said, I had a 4 hour connection in SEA so I trekked down to the A Club at SEA. Closing promptly at 5:30 PM, the agent was proud to proclaim they would be open 7 AM To midnight starting next week at the A location.

I spent most of my time in the AMEX CL around the bar, and walked by the SEA AL @ D to see the sign out. First time I've seen this sign in person.

Next was the SEA AL @ N. No sign posted so I went in for a 5 minute visit to "thank" AS with revenue from PP as there was space. This was at 5:30 PM on 4/19/17.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acarney
Wonder if lounge membership fees will creep upward by $25 or $50 or something to lessen the lost revenue from PP and as an excuse of a "higher level of service now" since the lounges will probably look more empty and theoretically have better stocked food/snack items. (Maybe not better quality or different, but better service on restocking items because less work load from lower occupancy)

Or some other stupid reason...
Interesting idea....I never thought about the possibility of higher membership fees as a result of lost PP revenue, but it makes sense.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Haven't heard of any new "rules" from PP so I'd take the postulations from others with a grain of salt.

That being said, I had a 4 hour connection in SEA so I trekked down to the A Club at SEA. Closing promptly at 5:30 PM, the agent was proud to proclaim they would be open 7 AM To midnight starting next week at the A location.

I spent most of my time in the AMEX CL around the bar, and walked by the SEA AL @ D to see the sign out. First time I've seen this sign in person.

Next was the SEA AL @ N. No sign posted so I went in for a 5 minute visit to "thank" AS with revenue from PP as there was space. This was at 5:30 PM on 4/19/17.
Glad to hear the A concourse Club at SEA is going to be open til Midnight....excellent timing!! It's nice to hear someone wants our business
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have a Jet Blue midnight BOS flight in June. Was dreading begging AS for entry, so A Club it is!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by acarney
Wonder if lounge membership fees will creep upward by $25 or $50 or something to lessen the lost revenue from PP and as an excuse of a "higher level of service now" since the lounges will probably look more empty and theoretically have better stocked food/snack items. (Maybe not better quality or different, but better service on restocking items because less work load from lower occupancy)

Or some other stupid reason...
But that's the problem, the offerings aren't good and it doesn't really appear that Alaska is doing anything about it. In fact, they're somewhat embarrassing given the offers at both Skyclubs, the Centurion Lounge, and even the Clubs at SEA. (I've never been in a UA club anywhere, so I don't know)

With the Boardrooms refusing to take PP, I have considered purchasing a Boardroom membership (especially for when I fly out of the N gates) but the fact that the food offerings are so lackluster, I can't bring myself to do it. Especially when I have Skyclub membership and AMEX Centurion lounge access.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: MVPG, VX-Silver
Originally Posted by berliner5000
With the Boardrooms refusing to take PP, I have considered purchasing a Boardroom membership (especially for when I fly out of the N gates) but the fact that the food offerings are so lackluster, I can't bring myself to do it. Especially when I have Skyclub membership and AMEX Centurion lounge access.
That berliner5000 is all you need; the Alaska Lounge is lackluster in comparison. I gave up my Boardroom membership a year ago (after 5+) after one trip to the Centurion lounge!

If Alaska makes an effort to upgrade the space & offerings -- adds lounges to their mini-hub/focus cities: SAN, for instance! -- then as a MVPG (on track for 75K) I'd be interested in giving AS some of my business.... but i'm afraid we're a few years out from that happening and I would like to see how the efforts in the old AA space @ C and upgraded N terminal pan out.

I now have LAX Alaska Lounge access as a Virgin Silver for the rest of the year, that may come in handy a few times this fall, for $15/visit...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheresdg
That berliner5000 is all you need; the Alaska Lounge is lackluster in comparison. I gave up my Boardroom membership a year ago (after 5+) after one trip to the Centurion lounge!

If Alaska makes an effort to upgrade the space & offerings -- adds lounges to their mini-hub/focus cities: SAN, for instance! -- then as a MVPG (on track for 75K) I'd be interested in giving AS some of my business.... but i'm afraid we're a few years out from that happening and I would like to see how the efforts in the old AA space @ C and upgraded N terminal pan out.

I now have LAX Alaska Lounge access as a Virgin Silver for the rest of the year, that may come in handy a few times this fall, for $15/visit...
I would guess that if the LAX lounge is closed to PP, Lounge Buddy, and Day passes, your ability to buy a day pass for $15 will also be restricted since it's essentially the same thing, but it never hurts to ask
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I would guess that if the LAX lounge is closed to PP, Lounge Buddy, and Day passes, your ability to buy a day pass for $15 will also be restricted since it's essentially the same thing
It's not the same thing, since it's an AS/Elevate benefit. My guess is that it won't be restricted.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: MVPG, VX-Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
It's not the same thing, since it's an AS/Elevate benefit. My guess is that it won't be restricted.
I would hope their thinking would be along the lines of treating the VX Loft/Elevate members = Alaska Lounge members too! As they are attempting to keep the VX customer base that is being uprooted from terminal 3 to terminal 6 and introduced to the AS product @ LAX.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I would guess that if the LAX lounge is closed to PP, Lounge Buddy, and Day passes, your ability to buy a day pass for $15 will also be restricted since it's essentially the same thing, but it never hurts to ask
Being denied a stated benefit ala what is happening to PP members would be

Now, I'm not saying I want to pay even $15 to visit the boardroom either... given the current "status," but I may have a few hours to spend during a few mileage runs in the fall -- now if AS Lounges had some showers we'd have a different story

"Starting May 13th First Class and Elevate Gold guests will have complimentary access to the Alaska Lounge through 2017."

1. FREE — Complimentary for First Class guests Elevate Gold members and reduced companion access ($15 for Gold and $45 for First Class) to the Alaska Airlines Lounge in T6 through 2017.

2. $15 — Reduced rate for Elevate Silver members and reduced companion access (also $15) through 2017.

3. $45 — All other Virgin America guests can purchase a day pass to the Alaska Airlines Lounge for $45 per person.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wheresdg
Now, I'm not saying I want to pay even $15 to visit the boardroom either... given the current "status," but I may have a few hours to spend during a few mileage runs in the fall -- now if AS Lounges had some showers we'd have a different story
I personally would not pay $15 for day pass access to the AS lounge. I almost felt bad earlier this week when I made PP pay $20-ish for two pancakes and a mocha for my 20 mins in the PDX lounge.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I personally would not pay $15 for day pass access to the AS lounge. I almost felt bad earlier this week when I made PP pay $20-ish for two pancakes and a mocha for my 20 mins in the PDX lounge.
I would if I had a 3+ hour stay at the airport.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by formeraa
I would if I had a 3+ hour stay at the airport.
I try to schedule those at airports where I have better options (SEA, SFO with Amex lounge). A quiet (empty) gate area is at times a better choice for me than a crowded yet mediocre lounge with chex mix for $15.

My connection at PDX yesterday evening would have allowed for a 15 minute visit (alas, sign was out at 6:30pm) and I would not have bothered with that. I wish it had been a slightly longer connection, so I could have had some real food at PDX. It was a business trip, so I could have expensed it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've been really frustrated with lack of PP access to the AS BR so I just purchased two individual memberships to the Delta Skyclub (for myself and husband). I would've preferred to support AS but IMO, their lounges aren't worth paying for. Maybe the new C lounge will change my opinion in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
4/20 Thursday, 1pm LAX: flying AA. No sign, admitted for 6 hours, happily.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
4/20 Thursday, 1pm LAX: flying AA. No sign, admitted for 6 hours, happily.
Has it gotten to the point where we are not only reporting whether or not we are admitted, but what kind of reception we're given by the lounge agents ("icy" or "happy")?? Yikes...6 months ago, I could enter whatever Alaska Lounge I wanted and everyone at the desk seemed genuinely happy to see me and swipe my card....I wish we could just turn back time....at least when it comes to our lounge experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.