Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by pfpdx
@missydarlin can you confirm? Firm cut off on 5/1 for Priority Pass users at PDX?
that's what she told me and everyone else who tried to enter (the sign eventually went out and stayed out for the entire time I was there- delayed flight to Seattle kept me and a bunch of people there). I don't know how many people tried to get in with PP but it was a lot. I was there from about 12-3pm.

Starting May 1st, the boardroom at PDX will no longer accept Priority Pass. Sometimes she clarified select and other times she just said priority pass.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
There is a big difference between the PP offered by AMEX Plat and the PP offered by CSR.

PP from AMEX Plat only allows ONE member - the card holder himself whether he is primary or additional user.

PP from CSR has UNLIMITED guest privilege - THAT unfortunately is where things fall apart. There are enough brag posts on internet that the CSR PP holders, especially those single males, just guested anyone they felt like when at airport - IIRC, a guy guested 8!!! persons during the early days of the CSR card at some airport. Even as recently as early this year, still read someone guest 4 persons he randomly met at the airport...

It is this type of behavior that ruin the majority of others who only use the privilege for themselves and their travel companions be it families or friends, but is in the same group travelling, not some random souls one meets at the airport and then feels the need to show off....

Citi card's PP is unlimited Immediate Family Members, or 2 guests. Again, not random casual encountered "friends" got into the lounge.

You can imagine how those random "guests" would behave in the lounge...

AMEX obviously sees the Centurion is being run down with way too many have access so now it is 2 guests only, regardless whether they are family members or friends or random guest. 2 only.

I say Chase blew this one by not putting any limit on the PP guest privilege.

Wait till August / Sept when the 2nd year AF is coming up, the attrition rate would skyrocket. Until then, the only defense the domestic PP contracted lounges have, is to exercise the "capacity control" clause that is built in the contract.
Keep in mind that the changes to AMEX Plat benefits that started this month included two free guests for PP lounges so there is now less of a distinction between the two programs.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by pfpdx
@missydarlin can you confirm? Firm cut off on 5/1 for Priority Pass users at PDX?

I can't confirm, but I also can't say that I'd be surprised if it were true.

In general, changes to PP benefits are more likely to be officially published or confirmed by PP than AS.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:29 pm

It's all speculative, but i think it's pretty safe to say that the CSR just created a perfect storm where too many people applied for the card and crowded smaller lounges like PDX. Sure there's bad apples everywhere, but even if we keep the argument relative and say that 5% of all AS Lounge members and 5% of all PP members are unworthy...PP's 5% is a far greater number than AS Lounge members 5%. A great deal of PP's numbers is related to the crazy amount of CSR cards approved. Circumstantially, we see that these problems only started being very relevant after the CSR was introduced.

I just don't see a competent argument about how the overcrowding is not related to the release of the CSR. The AS lounges are doing what they have to do right now. I don't like it as a user of all AS lounges semi-regularly, but I understand it. Especially as someone who carries the CSR.

My hope is that the consider this a temporary fix and can be appealed to in the fall to reconsider PP membership. I suspect that a great number of CSR applicants will fall off, bringing the customer base to a far more manageable number.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:32 pm

On to something more quantitative: has anyone tried to use their PP while flying first class on AS and as an elite? I'm wondering if this might give one a little more leverage to get into an AS lounge that has space, but they don't want to accept PP.

GF and I are flying out of PDX monday evening. Both First class, both MVP. I'll certainly give it a shot, even if the sign is out.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I can't confirm, but I also can't say that I'd be surprised if it were true.

In general, changes to PP benefits are more likely to be officially published or confirmed by PP than AS.
Interesting, because I asked about this on Twitter and it was confirmed that yes, the PDX Lounge would stop accepting Priority Pass Select as of May 1st. When I contacted Priority Pass about it, they don't seem to know anything about it so there is a pretty significant communication gap here.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
On to something more quantitative: has anyone tried to use their PP while flying first class on AS and as an elite? I'm wondering if this might give one a little more leverage to get into an AS lounge that has space, but they don't want to accept PP.

GF and I are flying out of PDX monday evening. Both First class, both MVP. I'll certainly give it a shot, even if the sign is out.
As long as it is A class or paid F, you should be good to go....the only way you wouldn't get access is if you were in U class (MVP upgrade or mileage upgrade).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Keep in mind that the changes to AMEX Plat benefits that started this month included two free guests for PP lounges so there is now less of a distinction between the two programs.
Limit 2 versus Unlimited is still a huge difference.

It is much much less a chance for AMEX PP holder to guest random soul into the lounge versus a CSR PP holder. On internet sites you read about the CSR cardholders bragged about how they brought in people they just met on moving walkways, things like that. I doubt an AMEX Plat holder would do similar thing.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It is much much less a chance for AMEX PP holder to guest random soul into the lounge versus a CSR PP holder. On internet sites you read about the CSR cardholders bragged about how they brought in people they just met on moving walkways, things like that. I doubt an AMEX Plat holder would do similar thing.
They just bring in random people they met on an internet site.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...up-thread.html

(given the traffic in that thread I don't think it's a great contributor to lounge crowding)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by berliner5000
On a semi related note: I have the AA card that gives Admirals club membership (citi American executive) and she was uncertain if I could enter with that card (I'm flying as). Has anyone tried that card?
The primary cardholder for the Citi AA Exec gets a full AC membership that should work just like any other standalone AC membership. Authorized users get access to Admirals Clubs only.

ETA:
The card expiration date is supposed to reflect Admirals Club membership expiry, and the Admirals Club logo on the reverse is supposed to be "proof of membership"; the Admirals Club logo does not appear on secondary cardholders (as secondary cardholders have no Club membership).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Limit 2 versus Unlimited is still a huge difference.

What makes you think Amex card holders are any different kinds of people than CSR people? Because you haven't sen one brag about it on the internet? Not a very scientific study. I know lots of people who have the Amex card and they are no different than any of the people I know who have the CSR. And I just applied for the CSR so I take offense that you feel we are somehow less scrupulous people than people who have the Amex card.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
And AS put a 2 guest limit on PP a few months ago (see earlier in this thread) so the unlimited guests overrunning the Board Rooms reason for limiting access doesn't apply anymore.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
PP from AMEX Plat only allows ONE member - the card holder himself whether he is primary or additional user.
AMEX is now cardholder + 1.

PP from CSR has UNLIMITED guest privilege - THAT unfortunately is where things fall apart.
Not really. A lounge can make rules that allow PP holder+ n guests only. They could easily stop the CSR customer from mass guesting folks if they wanted to.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by channa
AMEX is now cardholder + 1.
Cardholder + 2 guests.

"Now when you enroll in Priority Pass Select and visit a lounge, you can bring two accompanying guests for no charge."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...latinum#detail
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
No PP sign was out this morning at the SEA D club. Asked about getting in anyway on a SEA-SFO-JFK award ticket booked in first where SEA-SFO was coach (waitlisted for first and never cleared) on AS and SFO-JFK was in VX F. Was told no but the lady next to the person who was telling me no said that she thought I should have access per new rules and then, after checking with a supervisor (her escalation, not mine, I would have happily left), I was permitted entry. Top level of the club was 90% full. Bottom level was 60-65% full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.