Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If you don't mind begging, it seems to be a fairly good strategy for getting into the lounges....my guess is that your success rate is going to be around 50%....when the SEA lounges eventually get around to banning PP "Select" like PDX, I don't think even begging will help.
If SEA BRs go the way of PDX, no PP Select means no PP select. Begging definitely won't help. It's like asking them to accept your Delta Sky Club membership even though they haven't had reciprocal access for a couple of years.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
4/17 11:20AM - D denying all PP cardholders entry
4/17 11:25AM - N denying all PP cardholders entry
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Didn't see any sign yesterday at PDX 5-6ish. I was a little surprised but I had 4 month old with me so didn't try to go in.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Hi -

1030AM, PDX had the sign out and was actively turning people away. Place was packed, only a couple of the metal chair available. Even the computer room in the back was full.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

1030AM, PDX had the sign out and was actively turning people away. Place was packed, only a couple of the metal chair available. Even the computer room in the back was full.
I wonder if they will create a new sign when May 1st gets here??? For those looking for a breakfast option to replace the free pancakes, Roses (over in terminal D) makes a great bagel breakfast sandwich
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Didn't see any sign yesterday at PDX 5-6ish. I was a little surprised but I had 4 month old with me so didn't try to go in.
i was there same time. Went in with my GF. no problems. A guy and his gf came in a few minutes afterwards as well with PP, and let in.

Was maybe 70% full.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by chix
11:00 on Monday April 17. Luckily I had access through AS first class award. Not busy inside��
Originally Posted by cblaisd
4/17 11:30 am. D location. Sign out

4/17 11:40 am. N location Sign out. Went in and asked nicely if Mrs cblaisd and I could come in since we were flying in upgraded F and I am lowly MVP. Agent first said no, then immediately said wait a moment. She went and looked in the lounge , came back, asked her two colleagues if ok to take sign down since a bunch of folks just left. They agreed. Lounge probably 15-20% full
I was by both at the same time. I went in the D location and confirmed if PP was denied and was met with a nice apology and then asked about 75K lounge pass and was welcomed to use it. Before I did, I asked if they could check if N was shut down to PP. They called, and it was indeed blocked for PP.
It was a little busier after the Easter holiday but there were still plenty of seats.

I then mentioned that if they just swipe my PP card instead of taking my pass they would actually make some money for my visit
The agent said "No, I can't, then everybody...." pfft... who will know?
Would be nice if they just let 75Ks use PP under the table...

Now down to 2 passes and with C lounge not until June I am not sure I can make it and will have to go loungeless on a few trips.
As I might have mentioned before, on my first time using a 75K pass I found they never did actually pull it, so someone had mercy.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I then mentioned that if they just swipe my PP card instead of taking my pass they would actually make some money for my visit
Don't us 75K's only get 4 passes a year? Seems this would be a way to get unlimited access on your 75K passes by just saying, hey, why don't you just swipe my PP card instead of taking a 75k pass, makes everyone a winner, AS gets more money and 75K doesn't have to use a pass. So got entry without using a pass when a pass is the only reason you got in.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Baze
why don't you just swipe my PP card instead of taking a 75k pass, makes everyone a winner, AS gets more money and 75K doesn't have to use a pass.
As explained to me by a supervisor, PP swipes are tracked by PP. AS is not able to selectively "discriminate" in accepting PP. The Lounge is either open to all PP or closed to all PP during a given time period.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dayone
As explained to me by a supervisor, PP swipes are tracked by PP. AS is not able to selectively "discriminate" in accepting PP. The Lounge is either open to all PP or closed to all PP during a given time period.
Ok, but do they do have the right apparently to selectively discriminate one group over another. (AL Lounge members vs. PP)

Say they are allowing everyone in, then all seats are full. Then they can't allow anyone in, but at least everyone is treated equally.

But they can't discriminate whether one person in PP gets in vs. another. I presume that is written into the PP agreement?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Ok, but do they do have the right apparently to selectively discriminate one group over another. (AL Lounge members vs. PP)

Say they are allowing everyone in, then all seats are full. Then they can't allow anyone in, but at least everyone is treated equally.

But they can't discriminate whether one person in PP gets in vs. another. I presume that is written into the PP agreement?
They definitely can discriminate against PP. AS lounge members are paid members of the lounge. They are allowed to deny entrance to PP members. I hope AS lounge cuts off entry to PPS soon.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
They definitely can discriminate against PP. AS lounge members are paid members of the lounge. They are allowed to deny entrance to PP members. I hope AS lounge cuts off entry to PPS soon.
Don't worry, PDX is cutting off access in a few weeks and I'm sure it won't be long until SEA, LAX, and ANC do the same. There should be more than enough room for AL members in the very near future.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
4/16 2:00pm - LAX terminal 6 - allowing PP entry with no issues. Was ~75% full
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Don't worry, PDX is cutting off access in a few weeks and I'm sure it won't be long until SEA, LAX, and ANC do the same. There should be more than enough room for AL members in the very near future.
Wonder if lounge membership fees will creep upward by $25 or $50 or something to lessen the lost revenue from PP and as an excuse of a "higher level of service now" since the lounges will probably look more empty and theoretically have better stocked food/snack items. (Maybe not better quality or different, but better service on restocking items because less work load from lower occupancy)

Or some other stupid reason...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I've always wondered how many people enter via PP vs BR vs F vs AA AC etc.

AS is the only domestic airline to accept PP. Would not be surprised if access was terminated---still this would encourage me to fly on other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.