Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
11/10
SEA-CHS, 7:45 am departure
verbally described "huevos rancheros" plate (no menus)
scrambled eggs, two small chorizo pieces, black beans, small tortilla strips, salsa, sour cream, with a side of fruit. No pastry. Nuts served before landing.
Sat in 2F; granola option was already sold out by the time my order was taken

11/12
CHS-SEA, 5:05pm departure
no menus; only one option available
chicken thigh with green beans and new potato slices. Side of garden salad served first. No roll. Dessert of two cookies. No snack basket.

Overall, this seemed like a scaled down transcon service with no menus, few choices, no roll/pastry in either direction, and no snack basket. Service was still excellent. The meals themselves were edible if not memorable. Not the worst or best IME.
what a shame they have put midcon catering on this route. The bean counters strike again!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
what a shame they have put midcon catering on this route. The bean counters strike again!
Looks like RT catering. Very weak on segments of this length.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Looks like RT catering. Very weak on segments of this length.
More than that. CHS used to be locally catered and was one of the top two in the system (along with the local Hawaii one- LIH? OGG?). See this post from PDXPremier last year to see what a cut this current meal is: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27059751-post920.html
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
This really is sad since this is a true trans con flight and one that used to be catered by a local restaurant from CHS....one of my favorite AS meals was CHS-SEA in 2016...very sad indeed I'm wondering if the plan is to scale back trans con meal service system-wide...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm wondering if the plan is to scale back trans con meal service system-wide...
Of course not! AS is enhancing the First Class dining experience by catering Midcons the same as Transcons.

/how to spin it if that's the case and not yet another one off
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels

This really is sad since this is a true trans con flight and one that used to be catered by a local restaurant from CHS....one of my favorite AS meals was CHS-SEA in 2016...very sad indeed I'm wondering if the plan is to scale back trans con meal service system-wide...
it still had elements of a transcon - such as being served in courses and cookies being warmed and plated instead of packaged. The FA apologized about it; said there must be a catering issue involved. Hopefully this was a one-off thing.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:40 am

The most likely explanation is that there was some issue with the restaurant doing the catering in CHS and AS had to round trip cater from Seattle instead since there isn’t a catering facility in CHS.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Nov. 14thF
AS 465 LAX SEA F
1200 dep.

Very nice toasted (it was actually toast-y as well - not just browned looking soggy bread) turkey and brie w/onions, side of slaw, chips and a lemon bar....presentation was simple but okay. The brie was melted and wonderfully gooey. Only complaintt might be that a couple of the turkey "slices" were a bit chunky but that showed it was carved turkey and not sandwich meat.

AS 107 SEA-ANC F
1925 dep

Decent tasting "turmeric" chicken breast, decent portion as well and not diy. Ubiquitous green salad with greens way to large to easily eat, a bread roll that was warm-ish w/butter that was ice cold (I like butter that is softer on a bread roll either because the roll is warm enough to soften it or it doesn't seem to be nearly frozen) and the all-too-common lemon bar. The side for the chicken was ice cold rice....not nice and I ate one bite.

Service on the LAX flight was excellent even though the FA was doing her 1st F. I made sure to mention it on my way off. The SEA flight was somewhat perfunctory but nothing to complain about.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Decent tasting "turmeric" chicken breast, decent portion as well and not diy.
Glad the chicken was already prepared and not "Do It Yourself."
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
11/14 LAX-BWI 9:10p redeye
Small tomato quiche, a few limp mesculin leaves and one cherry tomato, packaged Caesar dressing cup. Packaged oatmeal raisin cookie also on the tray. Snack basket passed around before landing,
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: November 11, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 117 SEA-FAI
Time of Departure: 7:45pm
Length of flight: 3:15
Class of service: First
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Yellowish chicken breast with barley and baby spinach

Additional Comments: I've read some references to this chicken as being "Curried" or "Tumeric" flavored. I didn't taste either. How about FDC Yellow #5 Chicken? Anyway, it wasn't all that bad though it certainly wasn't one of the more inspired creations I've ever been served on Alaska.

OMG! Did I just use the term "inspired" with regard to Alaska's catering? Regardless of the context, that is just wrong.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by Kurt
Glad the chicken was already prepared and not "Do It Yourself."
Very true...those chickens can be tough to catch when they are running around the cabin.
Kurt and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
New Routes SANSTL/STLSAN

Checked the schedules, checked the booking. Flights in both directions show nothing not even snack boxes for purchase. Does anyone think they would have a meal and its just not coded as of yet? Just surprised, that for a flight of that length that they wouldn't even offer a "snack"
Schedule is as follows:
SANSTL D0940 A1502
STLSAN D1542 A1748
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Checked the schedules, checked the booking. Flights in both directions show nothing not even snack boxes for purchase. Does anyone think they would have a meal and its just not coded as of yet? Just surprised, that for a flight of that length that they wouldn't even offer a "snack"
Schedule is as follows:
SANSTL D0940 A1502
STLSAN D1542 A1748
PIT also doesn't list a meal service.

Imagine there should be some food onboard ^
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Does anyone think they would have a meal and its just not coded as of yet?
"Patience, young grasshopper"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.