Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
10/27 PDX - LAX
Takeoff was ~ 8 PM, flight time just under 2 hours. This was "dinner," which surprised me for a short flight. Curry chicken and some sort of grain that I'm not familiar with. Chicken was good, grain was "meh."

10/29 LAX-PDX
Takeoff was ~745, same flight time. Ravioli with red sauce and small chunks of mozzarella. They forgot to serve butter with the bread, which was kind of a bummer. The ravioli were pretty darn good though.

Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Curry chicken and some sort of grain that I'm not familiar with. Chicken was good, grain was "meh."
That grain looks like barley to me. The presentation leaves a lot to be desired though. I notice we're starting to see a lot of "alternative" grains and legumes of late - things like quinoa, barley, lentils, etc. Thankfully I like these things and wouldn't mind seeing some millet, amaranth, bulger wheat, etc.

That said, I might not have much company in this regard and for catering to focus on these grains - while possibly cost effective - is fairly risky in terms of passenger acceptance.

Meals of this nature don't seem very much like anything Tom Douglas would oversee. If I didn't know better (and I don't) I wouldn't be surprised if Alaska's catering department has hired some old hippie chick from the Solar Winds Cooperative Cafe or some similarly named new age type establishment to oversee its inflight meal services.

Um... may I have a bit more of that quinoa, please?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:45 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Had kofta (lamb) meatballs, tabooli, tzaztiki, and a salad on SEA - MKE today.

One of the best meals I've ever had on AS. Well done!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: AS305/DEN-SEA/Oct. 26, 2017
Aircraft/Seat: 737-900/2F
Departure Time/Duration/Meal: 7:00 a.m./3:05/Breakfast

Choice of quiche or yogurt/granola. The quiche had scallions and was served with potato salad, some salad greens and bacon. A fruit bowl (apple, red grapes, blueberries and green melon) was on the side. Nice (slightly odd) breakfast.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:40 am

Flight/Route: AS173/SEA-LIH/Oct. 26, 2017
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/2B
Departure Time/Duration/Meal: 11:40 a.m./6:15/Lunch

We departed about two hours late due to poor visibility in Seattle, leading to a late arrival of our inbound aircraft from Spokane. The crew handled it well and everyone was in high spirits. Guava mimosas were served on the ground.

I had a rum on the rocks to keep things in an island mood; the salad was very nice with a slightly minty dressing that complemented the tart goat cheese.

I enjoyed the chicken dish; it was slightly spicy and was closest in taste to jambalaya. The meat was very tender. I switched to white wine (Browne Family) with my meal.

Cheesecake was a nice finish to the meal.

I watched "Hidden Figures" on the provided media player, napped and enjoyed the ride. The snack basket came around a few times.

As is often the case the "First Taste" came at the end of the flight, with warm nuts and some very tasty Mai Tais to welcome us to Kauai. We had some nice views of Oahu as we threaded our way to the Garden Isle. Nice flight!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:53 am

Flight/Route: AS858/SEA-LIH/Oct. 30, 2017
Aircraft/Seat: 737-800/2D
Departure Time/Duration/Meal: 3:58 p.m./5:30/Dinner

Back to the mainland; we departed on time and enjoyed "island" mimosas before takeoff again.

Nuts came out first on this flight; guava and rum is a nice cocktail

I went a bit more lowbrow and watched "The House" and shamelessly enjoyed the rather bad movie.

Very nice salad; all the ingredients meshed nicely and tasted fresh.

The chicken was outstanding; nice, tender meat, perfect al-dente pasta and excellent asparagus. One of the best meals I've had on Alaska.

My friend had the shrimp, which he liked a lot but criticized for its slightly-mushy texture (as if it had been frozen). The portion was generous, however.

Dessert went well with some red wine. After dinner the snack basket made a couple of appearances. I dozed a bit and we were soon landing in San Diego. High marks for the food and service again.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:58 am

Flight/Route: AS449/SAN-SEA/Oct. 31, 2017
Aircraft/Seat: 737-900/2A
Departure Time/Duration/Meal: 3:58 p.m./2:47/Lunch

The much-maligned chicken salad. I don't get the criticism of this one. I thought it was delicious and perfect for the time of day and flight of this length. Call me crazy I guess!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:02 am

Flight/Route: AS678/SEA-DEN/Oct. 31, 2017
Aircraft/Seat: 737-900/2D
Departure Time/Duration/Meal: 7:35 p.m./2:28/Snack (Dinner)

We had a slight delay at the gate, then an unscheduled stop past the N gates to check out whether some item was loaded in the forward hold.

"Turmeric" chicken was the description; I enjoyed this dish, especially the ginger served on the side. Good service again; it was quite bumpy (high winds) on approach to Denver.

Last edited by Kurt; Nov 4, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:54 am

Date of Flight: 11/2/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS237 (MEX-LAX)
Time of Departure: 4:25 PM
Length of flight: blocked for 4 hours
Class of service: F
Pre-Departure Beverage service: bottled water at seat
Meal served: "Snack"
Meal Description: none, informed by flight attendant a meal of chicken salad would be available with lemon bar dessert

Additional Comments: Got the "tumeric chicken" or "chicken salad" as described above, with the grain being what seemed like quinoa? Actually tasted OK. Dessert was the packaged lemon bar noted above. Interesting this flight is book as "snack" since AA has a MEX-LAX flight that departs a little earlier and serves "dinner." I guess they can label it however they want and serve the same thing though.

The presentation was almost identical to the picture in the post right above this one except with quinoa.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Flight Number and Route flown: AS237 (MEX-LAX)
Time of Departure: 4:25 PM
Length of flight: blocked for 4 hours
Pre-Departure Beverage service: bottled water at seat
Meal Description: none, informed by flight attendant a meal of chicken salad would be available with lemon bar dessert

Additional Comments: Got the "tumeric chicken" or "chicken salad" as described above, with the grain being what seemed like quinoa? Actually tasted OK. Dessert was the packaged lemon bar noted above. Interesting this flight is book as "snack" since AA has a MEX-LAX flight that departs a little earlier and serves "dinner." I guess they can label it however they want and serve the same thing though.

The presentation was almost identical to the picture in the post right above this one except with quinoa.
Interesting that one got Caesar and one got Balsamic Viniagrette. I think this dish would be good hot or cold.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Interesting that one got Caesar and one got Balsamic Viniagrette. I think this dish would be good hot or cold.
The vinaigrette was way better, IMHO.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Got the "tumeric chicken" or "chicken salad" as described above, with the grain being what seemed like quinoa? Actually tasted OK. Dessert was the packaged lemon bar noted above. Interesting this flight is book as "snack" since AA has a MEX-LAX flight that departs a little earlier and serves "dinner." I guess they can label it however they want and serve the same thing though.
A 4 hour flight departing after 4:00pm usually means dinner - on most airlines. It seems like with regard to inflight catering, Alaska is in cost cutting free fall.

I remember the "Good 'Ol Days" on the MEX-LAX route, enjoying Fiesta Flights aboard Western Airlines DC-10 Spaceships. Margaritas, service from the trolley, colorful plates and bountiful meals... Ahh... the o n l y way to fly!
Attached Images  
steve64, PDXPremier and MrShyGuy like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Flight Number and Route flown: AS214 (SEA-SNA)
Time of Departure: 6:08 AM
Length of flight: Blocked for 2.5 hours
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: “Breakfast”
Meal Description: Choice of scrambled eggs with chorizo sausage and fruit cup or House-made Granola Cold Cereal

Additional Comments: Scrambled eggs were quite good - moist and fluffy and felt like real eggs rather than powdered or liquid (like the ones at my hotel’s buffet). Sausage was spicy, but not overly so. Also served with sour cream and salsa/pica de gallo in separate ramekins. Fruit was one half strawberry slice, one each slice of cantaloupe and honeydew, and a bunch each of green and red grapes. The melon was firm and sweet as were the green grapes. Red grapes were a bit mushy and a bit sour. Overall thought it was a pretty decent breakfast.

Date of Flight: 11/6/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS505 (SNA-SEA)
Time of Departure: 8:05 PM (Originally scheduled for 7:45 PM)
Length of flight: Blocked for 2.5 hours
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water offered during boarding
Meal Description: “Curried” chicken with roasted squash on a bed of quinoa. Served with a small side salad in a small bowl (as opposed to the dish Kurt received) with bread.

Additional Comments: As I had stuffed myself at Ruby’s diner waiting out the delay for the inbound, I did not bother with the meal, but it smelled good and those who did partake cleaned their plates so I am guessing they liked it.
Kurt likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:21 pm

Western had some brilliant marketing - its catering was legendary. Don't forget "Champagne Flights" and "Hunt Club Breakfasts." Denver-London Gatwick must have had some nice catering, too.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I remember the "Good 'Ol Days" on the MEX-LAX route, enjoying Fiesta Flights aboard Western Airlines DC-10 Spaceships. Margaritas, service from the trolley, colorful plates and bountiful meals... Ahh... the o n l y way to fly!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date of Flight: November 4, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 64 KTN-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:44pm
Length of flight: 1:40
Class of service: First
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: What do you call this? Mexican Beef? Fajita Plate? It's a portion of mildly seasoned beef served with a cold corn and black bean salad. The tortilla was stuck together as folded.

Additional Comments: Last week I flew a similarly timed flight of similar distance between Anchorage and Kotzebue and all we got was this thing called a "Protein Plate". It wasn't good. I wasn't expecting any better on this flight and so was pleasantly surprised when our 29 year veteran FA presented us with a salad first and then the hot dinner plate. I happen to like the flavor combination here and with the exception of the solid tortilla I think this was a fine meal - especially for the 680 mile KTN-SEA route. I supplied my own Cholula Sauce.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.