Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That is outrageous. Cereal & yogurt on a flight that long. Who eats cereal at 11 am.? I don't even eat it for breakfast at 7 a.m. I hope you complain loud & clear.
Was on PDX-DCA which departs at a similar time. I fly this route a lot and it's usually catered with the lunch/dinner options. Unfortunately, I ran into the cereal/omelette mess described above which was definitely not what I was expecting. Wrote to Alaska Listens and got a canned response regarding taking "portion sizes" into consideration. Also requested a cheese plate from the back, was told they didn't have anything, and was asked to pay $6 for a snack box. I did it--didn't really have time to grab anything at PDX due to a tight connection, but I thought I flew F so I didn't have to worry about such things.

The transcons departing around the 9AM-10AM timeframe have always, to my memory, been catered for lunch/dinner. I thought my experience was a one-off but if this also happened on SEA-BWI, I'm worried that there's been a system-wide change. Between this and the "slow-cooked vegetables" meal I got on a transcon VX flight, catering on AS/VX seems to have gone downhill in quite a hurry.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
Was on PDX-DCA which departs at a similar time. I fly this route a lot and it's usually catered with the lunch/dinner options. Unfortunately, I ran into the cereal/omelette mess described above which was definitely not what I was expecting. Wrote to Alaska Listens and got a canned response regarding taking "portion sizes" into consideration. Also requested a cheese plate from the back, was told they didn't have anything, and was asked to pay $6 for a snack box. I did it--didn't really have time to grab anything at PDX due to a tight connection, but I thought I flew F so I didn't have to worry about such things.

The transcons departing around the 9AM-10AM timeframe have always, to my memory, been catered for lunch/dinner. I thought my experience was a one-off but if this also happened on SEA-BWI, I'm worried that there's been a system-wide change. Between this and the "slow-cooked vegetables" meal I got on a transcon VX flight, catering on AS/VX seems to have gone downhill in quite a hurry.
This would all be resolved if AS would publish meal window times on it's website...you know they have this information already so I've never understood why they don't just publish it. With that said, I think 9:30am is the cut-off for breakfast....I noticed my 9:30am EWR-SEA flight offered breakfast, but then the scheduled changed to 9:35am (I think) and that triggered a meal change to lunch....honestly, I usually prefer breakfast since the transcon flights are typically more down-to-earth meals (eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, etc.) whereas the lunches/dinners are where things come off the rails and odd salads and side dishes start showing up....
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This would all be resolved if AS would publish meal window times on it's website...you know they have this information already so I've never understood why they don't just publish it. With that said, I think 9:30am is the cut-off for breakfast....I noticed my 9:30am EWR-SEA flight offered breakfast, but then the scheduled changed to 9:35am (I think) and that triggered a meal change to lunch....honestly, I usually prefer breakfast since the transcon flights are typically more down-to-earth meals (eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, etc.) whereas the lunches/dinners are where things come off the rails and odd salads and side dishes start showing up....
By the time a 9:30 am departure gets airborne and meals are ready to be served it's 10:30 or later. 99.9% of people don't eat breakfast at 10:30 a.m. - maybe a heavy brunch on a Sunday. So far as transcon flights having more "down-to-earth" meals, perhaps so unless you're in the 3rd or 4th row when there's an excellent chance you're going to land up with cereal and yogurt. So the poor person flying AS 38 SEA-FLL with an 8:30am departure and a 5:30pm arrival could land up with the cereal and yogurt and nothing resembling a lunch or substantial breakfast.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My experience on AA eastbound flights is 9:29 am is breakfast and 9:31 am is lunch. I've never figured out what 9:30 is.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
My experience on AA eastbound flights is 9:29 am is breakfast and 9:31 am is lunch. I've never figured out what 9:30 is.
That's ridiculous also. Do many people not have breakfast before 9:29 a.m.?
It's all about being cheap.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:32 pm

I think breakfast is cheaper to cater than lunch.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
9/28/17
AS 26 SEA-ORD
17:35 PDT
3h 45m
First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Water
Meal served: Beef Stir Fry and Salad
Meal Description: see picture

Additional Comments: Not much of a meal compared to what I was just served on VX F ORD-LAX this morning (added for comparison; beef brisket hash, poached eggs, fruit and croissant) Got a cheese plate comped (offered to pay, FA waved me off). Tasty enough I suppose. So much for upgraded midcon service.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dayone
I'm on AS30, pdx-bos, 0930 departure, in a couple weeks and it says it's a "lunch" flight. We'll see.

The beef stir fry, above, looks pretty good.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm on AS30, pdx-bos, 0930 departure, in a couple weeks and it says it's a "lunch" flight. We'll see.

The beef stir fry, above, looks pretty good.
I agree...the beef stir fry is a new one and actually looks tasty. The VX breakfast is "ok", but I can't recall ever wanting beef hash as a breakfast side dish...in this case I'd prefer a cheese omelette with potatoes on AS instead.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Eh, I'm an all day breakfast kind of guy anyway and figure a certain number of people may be coming from non service feeder flights + security + boarding + check in can easily mean a light or no breakfast.

No menu is going to satisfy everyone. Everyone has their food dislikes. Me? I'd like to see breakfast served up to 9am departures, between 9 and 11 one breakfast and one lunch entree. Preorder would be good IF there were more menu options than the scheduled service.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I was just on AS 764, the 0950 departure from Portland to Washington DCA (Sep. 30). At that late hour of the morning, I assumed that it would be a luncheon flight, so then imagine my surprise when we were handed menus offering the dreaded Cheese and Scallion (free) Omelet or the House Made Granola and Yogurt.

Again, it's worth noting that by the time that we actually were served anything, it was already close to 1100am Pacific time and 2:00pm Eastern time.

Perhaps the reason Alaska is dragging its wings on Pre-ordered meals is that the program might end up costing them more money.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 2, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I was on AS 764, the 0950 departure from Portland to Washington DCA. At that late hour of the morning, I assumed that it would be a luncheon flight, so then imagine my surprise when we were handed menus offering the dreaded Cheese and Scallion (free) Omelet or the House Made Granola and Yogurt.

Again, it's worth noting that by the time that we actually were served anything, it was already close to 1100am Pacific time and 2:00pm Eastern time.
That's just WRONG! What are they thinking?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
That's just WRONG! What are they thinking?
I suspect they're thinking something along the lines of:

It's more cost effective to serve breakfast than lunch on this flight. So what if most of them have already eaten breakfast by then. A few of 'em might complain, but most of them will just sigh and eat it. And we'll save money. Plus... upper management might just give me a nice bonus for keeping the catering costs down.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 2, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I was just on AS 764, the 0950 departure from Portland to Washington DCA (Sep. 30). At that late hour of the morning, I assumed that it would be a luncheon flight, so then imagine my surprise when we were handed menus offering the dreaded Cheese and Scallion (free) Omelet or the House Made Granola and Yogurt.
This is a repeat of the menu on my flight earlier in September. Definitely not a one-off catering mistake then, which is unfortunate. Of course, writing into Alaska Listens only gave me a canned response about portion size. The website still states that "lunch" should be served on these flights.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:17 pm

I suspect they're thinking something along the lines of:

It's cheaper to serve breakfast than lunch on this flight. So what if most of them have already eaten breakfast by then. A few of 'em might complain, but most of them will just sigh and eat it. And we'll save money. Plus... upper management might just give me a nice bonus for keeping the catering costs down.
I hope each and every one of you complain LOUDLY to AS about this crap. We are flying SMF-OGG in 3 weeks on a ~10:30 a.m. departure. It's a long flight, equal to a transcon. It's scheduled for a lunch. We paid full fare and I certainly expect a substantial lunch. I've selected seats in the first row specifically so we don' get last choice of some $1.00 lunch such as a fruit plate. We fly this roundtrip route in full F about every 6 months. Last time was so-so, and last September it was VERY good. AS could go very quickly from one of the best F experiences domestically to one of the worst VERY quickly.

They need to get their F pre-order system up and running immediately, understanding that the merger is consuming them. But it can't be that complicated to get your IT people (or even outsource it) to get a pre-order meal system set up, before you piss off even more F customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.