Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I was just served this on my 5hr MEX-SFO; no other choices. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume this was double catered. Honestly terrible. I just matched from UA, and I have a feeling the food is really going to be the weak spot for AS...
I think this looks really good...you all were given Caesar dressing as your "seasoning", no? I like chicken Caesar salads, and I like quinoa, so I'd have no problem. Without the dressing it does look dry, but that's what the dressing is for. I would love to be served this on a flight, seriously.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I was just served this on my 5hr MEX-SFO; no other choices. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume this was double catered. Honestly terrible. I just matched from UA, and I have a feeling the food is really going to be the weak spot for AS...

This looks infinitely better than the gloop I received on my MEX/SFO in August.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I certainly find this helpful. Thanks!
Good to know! And here is the pre-order breakfast menu from my SEA-IAD flight next week... decisions, decisions, decisions!

1) Fruit & Cheese Plate
2) House-made Granola Cold Cereal
3) Mushroom and Fontina Cheese Quiche
Attached Images  
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by lalala
Can we talk about Chicken Shakshuka.

It isn't shakshuka. Nope.
Hah! Now that you mention it, I agree. The full description reads: "This Moroccan dish features chicken, bell peppers, broccolini, and couscous with Kalamata olives, garlic, lemon, and parsley." Where are the tomatoes (or eggs)?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Breakfast wrap (scrambled eggs, spinach, cheese) in F on this morning's 0640 SMF-SEA:

Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tom911
Breakfast wrap (scrambled eggs, spinach, cheese) in F on this morning's 0640 SMF-SEA:
AS needs to buy smaller trays and plates to make the portions look more normal.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Why why why???? Must airline food be loaded with sugar & salt????

Really can't they do better? If you're gonna hand out packaged snacks can't they be healthy?

BWI-SEA had the cod, preordered via AS App b4 checkin. Its with loads of rice and the veggies were cooked dead on arrival. Salad was good and skipped the dessert.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by JHIN

Really can't they do better? If you're gonna hand out packaged snacks can't they be healthy...
A couple of thoughts: First, the definition of "healthy" depends on one's dietary needs. Second, if AS gave folks a choice between M&Ms and your healthy packaged snack I'd bet the majority would take the candy.

If you want a certain type of packaged snack for your flight it's safer to bring one that satisfies your definition of healthy. Since sugar and salt serve as preservatives I'm not surprised that many packaged snacks have them. Myself I generally have a small Ziploc bag of almonds in my purse in case the on board snack doesn't suit me.

I'm glad you were able to pre-order. That's a step in the right direction for AS.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:04 pm

Really can't they do better? If you're gonna hand out packaged snacks can't they be healthy?

BWI-SEA had the cod, preordered via AS App b4 checkin. Its with loads of rice and the veggies were cooked dead on arrival. Salad was good and skipped the dessert.
If you're talking about the snacks in the F basket, I see a lot of them that are not your usual Doritos and Lay's, some kind of Buddha popcorn and some kind of sweet chili maybe sweet potato? chips?

They are also supposed to be a little treat, by definition what your Mom gave you when you did eat all your veggies (dead on arrival or not).

And it's funny, for every poster who complains how bland the food is, there is one who complains it is too salty. I think it's usually just right.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Skipped the dessert? What was it? If I were to skip anything, it would be the typically over-complicated salads they have on transcons.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you're talking about the snacks in the F basket, I see a lot of them that are not your usual Doritos and Lay's, some kind of Buddha popcorn and some kind of sweet chili maybe sweet potato? chips?

They are also supposed to be a little treat, by definition what your Mom gave you when you did eat all your veggies (dead on arrival or not).

And it's funny, for every poster who complains how bland the food is, there is one who complains it is too salty. I think it's usually just right.
I like the sweet chili chips in the snack basket and my wife likes the popcorn although I trade those any day for a snack basket with Doritos, Chips Ahoy, and maybe some beef jerky
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I like the sweet chili chips in the snack basket and my wife likes the popcorn although I trade those any day for a snack basket with Doritos, Chips Ahoy, and maybe some beef jerky
I like all those things, too, but they are the same old...you know. I like that Alaska tries out new things. We really like the, what are they called? some sort of sweet brittle things? We like those a lot, and I recently saw them in Costco...but I don't want a 6 lb. bag of them, I like them as a little treat. Like I'm so glad they brought back the Belgian cookies...you can get a pile of them at Trader Joe's, but I like just the special little treat that the are on the crack of dawn Horizon flights.

And speaking of PDX, you know what is the best breakfast there? The sourdough sandwich at Laurelwood...you would love it, it has bacon AND sausage AND cheese. Not a speck of polenta in sight.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I like all those things, too, but they are the same old...you know. I like that Alaska tries out new things. We really like the, what are they called? some sort of sweet brittle things? We like those a lot, and I recently saw them in Costco...but I don't want a 6 lb. bag of them, I like them as a little treat. Like I'm so glad they brought back the Belgian cookies...you can get a pile of them at Trader Joe's, but I like just the special little treat that the are on the crack of dawn Horizon flights.

And speaking of PDX, you know what is the best breakfast there? The sourdough sandwich at Laurelwood...you would love it, it has bacon AND sausage AND cheese. Not a speck of polenta in sight.
I'll have to try that one! Thanks for the tip. The breakfast bagel sandwiches at Rose's over in the D concourse are pretty good too
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
SMF-OGG
Oct 24,2017
scheduled departure 9:59 am
5-1/2 hour flight
Choice of Quiche or oatmeal,both served with a small plate of fruit and a scone (no butter).

While the quiche was tasty, it was not sufficient for a 5-1/2 hr. flight. It almost seemed as though AS scheduled this departure at 9:59 am so they could get by with serving a breakfast/brunch instead of a lunch. A meal on a flight this long needs to be more substantial.
Carfield likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
While the quiche was tasty, it was not sufficient for a 5-1/2 hr. flight. It almost seemed as though AS scheduled this departure at 9:59 am so they could get by with serving a breakfast/brunch instead of a lunch. A meal on a flight this long needs to be more substantial.
Agreed. At the very least a side of sausage or bacon with has browns. The lack of butter for a scone just shows the lack of attention to detail with catering. Or cutting costs in stupid ways.

Over on the Alaska blog, someone was actually defending the granola as a F meal because their wife liked something light. Well a) you can pick up a grab & go granola & yogurt from just about any airport stand selling to-go food in the morning and b)that's something that should be served as a coach BOB option and available on request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.