Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
No hot towels on either of my flights (PDX-ATL and ATL-PDX).

The meal on the way home was blah to me. I hate blue cheese and one of the entrees was Blue Cheese Crusted Chicken Breast. Thankfully the Beef Provencal (small portion and only a few cubes of beef) was available when they got to me.

Not sure why AS continues to jazz up salads unnecessarily. The salad on 751 ATL-PDX was Mixed Green Salad with Peaches, Marcona Almonds, and Ricotta Salata. The ratio of peaches and other crap to greens was about 80% crap and 20% greens.
There were 4 huge peach slices from a can and the peach juice was everywhere. Who in the heck wants peaches on a salad? I know I don't. Just give me a generous portion of greens, cucumbers, shaved carrots, and cabbage and call it a day.

Dessert was Lemon Meringue Parfait. Didn't try it as don't like lemon except in my water.

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
No hot towels on either of my flights (PDX-ATL and ATL-PDX).

The meal on the way home was blah to me. I hate blue cheese and one of the entrees was Blue Cheese Crusted Chicken Breast. Thankfully the Beef Provencal (small portion and only a few cubes of beef).

Not sure why AS continues to jazz up salads unnecessarily. The salad on 751 ATL-PDX was Mized Green Salad with Peaches, Marcona Almonds, and Ricotta Salata. The ratio of peaches and other crap to greens was about 80% crap and 20% greens.
There were 4 huge peach slices from a can and the peach juice was everywhere. Who in the heck wants peaches on a salad? I know I don't. Just give me a generous portion of greens, cucumbers, shaved carrots, and cabbage and call it a day.

Dessert was Lemon Meringue Parfait. Didn't try it as don't like lemon except in my water.
Agree 100% about the salad....and why not offer the cookies everyone raves about as a desert option....do ice cream sundaes ever show up on the transcons anymore??
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not sure why AS continues to jazz up salads unnecessarily. The salad on 751 ATL-PDX was Mized Green Salad with Peaches, Marcona Almonds, and Ricotta Salata. The ratio of peaches and other crap to greens was about 80% crap and 20% greens.
If you recall (or don't), the AS salads used to be an appetizer / salad, typically with an animal protein contained on the salad. Some of those were good. Then, the animal parts took a one way trip with the prayer cards, and were never to be seen again, but seemingly replaced by other goods.

I do take issue because you say the 4 huge peach slices were from a can. How do you know they all came from the same can?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If you recall (or don't), the AS salads used to be an appetizer / salad, typically with an animal protein contained on the salad. Some of those were good. Then, the animal parts took a one way trip with the prayer cards, and were never to be seen again, but seemingly replaced by other goods.
At least on my Hawaii flights, the appetizer still included meat both ways.
The transcons are due for a new menu cycle fairly soon. That peach salad has been making the rounds for nearly a year.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I wish there'd be some consistency. I take the same flight every month at around 9pm from SEA-LAS. It's after dinner service hours, so understand no full meal, but in the past they have always served a nice plate of chicken skewers, or a cheese plate, some kind of a savoury snack to accompany a nice adult beverage

Last week it had been changed to "The Cookie", I guess all evening flights of around 2-2.5 hours will now get the cookie offering. In my case, it was one solitary, very soggy, cookie! It was hard to eat as you picked it up and it just fell apart into a mush. I asked if they had any nuts or pretzel mix or anything and was told no

A lot of folks are connecting in on other flights and have flown in over dinner hour, myself included, but at least I was able to buy food (cheese plate) from Economy. Kind of sad that the F food offerings have declined to a cookie and you have to resort to purchasing the Economy offerings.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
I wish there'd be some consistency. I take the same flight every month at around 9pm from SEA-LAS. It's after dinner service hours, so understand no full meal, but in the past they have always served a nice plate of chicken skewers, or a cheese plate, some kind of a savoury snack to accompany a nice adult beverage

Last week it had been changed to "The Cookie", I guess all evening flights of around 2-2.5 hours will now get the cookie offering. In my case, it was one solitary, very soggy, cookie! It was hard to eat as you picked it up and it just fell apart into a mush. I asked if they had any nuts or pretzel mix or anything and was told no

A lot of folks are connecting in on other flights and have flown in over dinner hour, myself included, but at least I was able to buy food (cheese plate) from Economy. Kind of sad that the F food offerings have declined to a cookie and you have to resort to purchasing the Economy offerings.
I would have thought the fruit and cheese plate would have been comp'd for you in F (assuming Y had been served already)....I thought you could order meals from Y (not snack boxes) if they had already served Y.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I would have thought the fruit and cheese plate would have been comp'd for you in F (assuming Y had been served already)....I thought you could order meals from Y (not snack boxes) if they had already served Y.
The fruit and cheese plate isn't considered a meal. It's part of the snack box rotation.

No hot meals were catered in Y last night on the late SEA-PHX flight.

Originally Posted by SamuelS

I did SEA-LAS earlier this month and got two cookies. I never liked the "chicken" skewers or any of the other late night offerings--many of which included a lovely black, slimy lettuce salad. They should have a ton of snack mix on the plane though. My seat mate the other night asked for a couple extra bags and the FA brought her a try full of them and said "take as many as you want."
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Who in the heck wants peaches on a salad? I know I don't. Just give me a generous portion of greens, cucumbers, shaved carrots, and cabbage and call it a day.
Somewhere out there in the world are a few people that evidently do like fruit mixed in with their salad because it's been a pretty popular combination for years. That said, I wonder how many MORE of us would prefer a traditional combination of greens and vegetables? I'd like to think a lot more of us, especially if the fruit is canned cling peaches or watermelon.

On an American flight the other night I was served a salad comprised primarily of head or iceberg lettuce with the usual salad veggies. It was great! It was so nice to eat crunchy lettuce again as opposed to the comparatively limp mesclun (or worse - arugula) that's become the standard for so many airline salads these days.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Can anyone comment what I can expect to be served on an 8:55pm PDX-LAX (738) flight? Not really counting on much of anything, but will it be a few crudites or packets of same snack mix served in Y?

Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Can anyone comment what I can expect to be served on an 8:55pm PDX-LAX (738) flight? Not really counting on much of anything, but will it be a few crudites or packets of same snack mix served in Y?

Thanks.
AS has cut back the meal offering on the late west coast flights. Most now serve 2 fresh baked cookies. FAs should have plenty of snack mix, or snack packs from the back available for purchase.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Starwood P100, Alaska G75, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, ANA
I was on my usual flight from SEA/ANC or FAI/SEA in first class. The food service on AS First is almost a joke. United is also flying this route too (SEA/ANC), and as a 1K on UA I also usually get upgraded. The food service on UA puts AS to shame. Basically the AS "meal" is the appetizer on UA. If AS is going to sucessfully compete with these new carries coming in on its legacy routes it had better start to offer a better product. Especially for those of us that have a choice in who we fly.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
Its puffed pastry Same stuff usually used in creme puffs or beef wellington. Ive made pizza before with puff pastry dough although with all that butter it was pretty greasy. Similar to croissant dough
I know we're not here to talk cooking, but I have nothing else to contribute to this thread, so here goes: Creme puffs are made with pate a choux, made with flour, eggs, butter and water - a high moisture pastry dough, so that when you pipe it/scoop it out and bake it, the steam causes it to puff and leave large bubbles in the middle.

Why am I posting this? I have no idea!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Somewhere out there in the world are a few people that evidently do like fruit mixed in with their salad because it's been a pretty popular combination for years. That said, I wonder how many MORE of us would prefer a traditional combination of greens and vegetables? I'd like to think a lot more of us, especially if the fruit is canned cling peaches or watermelon.

On an American flight the other night I was served a salad comprised primarily of head or iceberg lettuce with the usual salad veggies. It was great! It was so nice to eat crunchy lettuce again as opposed to the comparatively limp mesclun (or worse - arugula) that's become the standard for so many airline salads these days.
As someone who eats a lot of arugula, I think I can shed some light on this. Two things come to mind:

1. Foodies look down on iceberg. It's basically seen as the opposite of trendy food, and you all know airlines are in the trendy food business.

2. More importantly, have you ever seen how long (cut) arugula lasts in refrigeration compared to iceberg? I can seriously keep a wrapped bunch or plastic tub of arugula around for weeks.

I'm guessing a key driver there is that they waste less while not serving "boring old" iceberg. Personally, I like iceberg, and all greens really. And there is absolutely nothing in this world wrong with a wedge with some bacon and blue cheese.

I don't mind fruit in my salads, but I don't like it to be too wet - meaning orange slices, peaches, watermelon, etc. are out. But some apple, pear, cranberry, those work for me. As long as there's bacon. And maybe a little blue cheese of some kind.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Dry chicken with pasta equally dry?

Twice lately, the "meal" in first has been a sliced chicken that has been incredibly dry served with a tube pasta that has the least amount of sauce possible and still be able to call it sauce. This has got to be the worst FC meal ever (and I have not complained about a meal prior to this!) Honestly, every other iteration of a chicken entree has been much better. This would have been raised up to OK, if they had some actual sauce for the chicken and pasta.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ctporter
Twice lately, the "meal" in first has been a sliced chicken that has been incredibly dry served with a tube pasta that has the least amount of sauce possible and still be able to call it sauce. This has got to be the worst FC meal ever (and I have not complained about a meal prior to this!) Honestly, every other iteration of a chicken entree has been much better. This would have been raised up to OK, if they had some actual sauce for the chicken and pasta.
You should have asked for a leftover Y cheese plate, dumped the cheese on top of the pasta, and asked the FA to stick your newly-adorned plate back into the horno. Add a splash of vodka, and you'll have chunky vodka cheese sauce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.