Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
They served that meatball sub between SEA and MCI today. Four 50¢ sized meatballs and a smattering of sauce with a bag of chips. The $6.00 Vietnamese Pork Loin sandwich in the back was the better meal on this flight.

Last night's Barbecued Chicken on the FAI-SEA flight looked and smelled pretty good. I didn't get to eat it though. I was back in row 6 with a pair of binoculars.
The 3rd time this month the meatball sub showed up I declined, and asked the FA to let me know if there was anything left over from coach after the folks in the back had been fed.

Time passed. I'd pretty much given up hope when she stopped by and told me there was a banh mi with my name on it. She even plated it for me - that Vietnamese pork loin sandwich with spicy carrots & cilantro was 500% better than those horrid meatball subs.

Recently they've been serving a BBQ chicken dish that's *very* tasty and also one with a very spicy habanero sauce. IMO, that one should have the sauce served on the side since it's quite pungent and almost impossible to scrape off.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Had the same meal twice this week on a SEA-LAX roundtrip. Both flights were around dinner time. Polenta with Bolognese sauce (red meat sauce) and field greens salad. The chocolate candy was a salted almond. Warm towels before the meal.

I thought the meal was reasonably tasty and most people had the meal.

Wish the airline could switch up the meals so we don't eat the same thing twice within a day or two of each other. One meal going south/east and something different going north/west.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Chicken and Quinoa on the 1115a SEA-SAN flight earlier today. I really liked it. Great flavor combination and a decently sized portion. But then I actually like those hippie grains like quinoa and millet and bulger. Just to keep things balanced, I also like a good 18oz ribeye! Alas, Alaska doesn't serve those...

BTW, I've been presented a lot of inflight towels over the years and I believe those towels are supposed to be HOT towels, ideally lightly scented but simply hot and nicely moist would suffice all the same, especially on a U.S. airline. The embarrassingly limp and tepid things they doled out today were hardly worth the effort. If the cabin crew doesn't understand how or isn't willing to take the time to do hot towels properly, I think both we the passengers and Alaska Airlines would be better served if they simply didn't provide them at all.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 25, 2014 at 1:21 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Wish the airline could switch up the meals so we don't eat the same thing twice within a day or two of each other. One meal going south/east and something different going north/west.
Eventually it would be great if they could move to a system like AA has where you can pre-select your meal from a series of options up to T-24
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA
AS671 AUS-SEA on 4/25:
Dinner was beef with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables, plus a salad on the side. It was the only option available. The meal tasted great although the beef sauce was very salty. Dessert was double chocolate and white chocolate+cranberry cookies.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Quintious
AS 15 BOS>SEA.

First course was a watermelon salad with feta and arugula, followed by warm dinner rolls. Quite good for airline food.

Main course was a choice of citrus alaskan cod w/ dijon lemon butter sauce and roasted yukon gold potatoes or 4 cheese ravioli. Went with the cod (as did everybody else until they ran out of cod). The swiss chard grew old but the rest of the dish was well-made.

Dessert was a peach pie parfait, which had its high points, but ultimately tasted a lot like whipped cream and pie dust.
Nice. If that's the menu for BOS-SAN right now, I'd be happy with that. TBH, I don't care that much about in-flight food since we usually have dinner on the ground right before anyway. But it is a nice surprise when the meal is good.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Red-eye, LAX => MEX... a scoop of some kind of cabbage salad and half of a sandwich which I think could've been turkey. Don't know since they had no menu.

It was, frankly, a horrible flight. No in-seat (or any) entertainment and no other snacks or special amenities. Other than the bigger seat, I'd have rather just paid the extra $6 for a sandwich in coach.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
If the cabin crew doesn't understand how or isn't willing to take the time to do hot towels properly, I think both we the passengers and Alaska Airlines would be better served if they simply didn't provide them at all.
They seem to be still figuring this one out. I was surprised when the attendant came by and started picking up the used towels with her hands and placing them in a clear plastic bag. In general, I find their first class service to be significantly lagging the other domestics (and left in the dust relative to foreign carriers).

I would add that the first class attendant duties appeared to be shared with one attendant racing back and forth between first and coach like she was on speed. Pretty unnerving at 3am to have a human body whizzing through the aisles at warp speed.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:28 pm

AS 464 SEA-LAX on Thursday, 5/8. FC has chicken parmesan, which appears to be chicken breast, red sauce, side of shells with a bit of cheese and a standard side salad. I passed thinking it was a cheese-heavy dish, and my flying companion is working to convince me otherwise.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by DudeE
Red-eye, LAX => MEX... a scoop of some kind of cabbage salad and half of a sandwich which I think could've been turkey. Don't know since they had no menu.

It was, frankly, a horrible flight. No in-seat (or any) entertainment and no other snacks or special amenities. Other than the bigger seat, I'd have rather just paid the extra $6 for a sandwich in coach.
To be honest, I don't think a half sandwich and side salad is unreasonable for a 3 hour flight departing at 12:10 AM. I don't think they even sell sandwiches in coach on red-eye flights. When I flew lax-mex a couple years ago, there was still a complimentary snack in Y. As for IFE, they normally offer complimentary digeplayers in F, but I assume lax-mex is just below the threshold length for offering them.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Had the same offering on PDX-LAS (622) on 5/6/14 and LAS-SEA (609) on 5/8/14.

Both FA's called it a warm grilled chicken sandwich but it seemed to be AS's crack at a Vietnamese Chicken Bahn Mi sandwich.

Grilled chicken was on a toasted baguette with a bit of mayo. On the side was fresh cilantro, shredded carrots, cucumbers and jalapenos (fresh not jarred).

Ate it on the way out but not yesterday. Very tasty for a 2:00 flight. Here is a Bahn Mi for those not familiar with them:

Old May 11, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
To be honest, I don't think a half sandwich and side salad is unreasonable for a 3 hour flight departing at 12:10 AM. I don't think they even sell sandwiches in coach on red-eye flights. When I flew lax-mex a couple years ago, there was still a complimentary snack in Y. As for IFE, they normally offer complimentary digeplayers in F, but I assume lax-mex is just below the threshold length for offering them.
AS 129 (SEA-FAI) on 5/1, which is a 3.5 hour flight departing approximately 8:00 PM, the first class meal was a cookie. I kid you not. I was upgraded 72 hours out from a cheap (well, "cheap" being a relative term flying AS on SEA-FAI) coach fare so I won't complain too much, but had I shelled out the going rate for First Class on that route to essentially get a $722 chocolate chip cookie, I would have been pretty ticked off.

AS usually will throw a few pieces of lettuce and some carbs at you in F on the evening SEA/PDX-ANC flights, which is essentially the same distance as SEA-FAI.

Edit: This also underlies a classic chicken and the egg scenario. I rarely, if ever, pay for F on PDX/SEA-Alaska flights. The value just isn't there to justify the expense. As a MVPG I can get a free drink and an exit row in coach...essentially the extra "perk" of F on a route like PDX-ANC is a free meal (which often is worse than the BOB options) and not running the risk of sharing an armrest with a hairy dude in a tank top. Will I take it for free as an upgrade? Sure, who wouldn't. But if I'm AS, why bother upgrading the product when people don't pay for it? On the flip side, maybe more people would pay for it if the hard product was worth paying for.

Last edited by Chugach; May 11, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Old May 11, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Quintious
AS 15 BOS>SEA.

First course was a watermelon salad with feta and arugula, followed by warm dinner rolls. Quite good for airline food.

Main course was a choice of citrus alaskan cod w/ dijon lemon butter sauce and roasted yukon gold potatoes or 4 cheese ravioli. Went with the cod (as did everybody else until they ran out of cod). The swiss chard grew old but the rest of the dish was well-made.

Dessert was a peach pie parfait, which had its high points, but ultimately tasted a lot like whipped cream and pie dust.
I had the ravioli on a DCA-PDX flight last year. It was comically bad.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
AS37 yesterday afternoon. It was described as "Alaska's twist on the Chicken pot pie"

The crust was flaky but cold. The meat and gravy were fine. My disdain for overcooked vegetables goes back to childhood. I left each pea and carrot on the plate.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:53 am

AS 768 SAN-BOS 5/11 - Breakfast

The best I can do is that it was just OK. The fresh fruit to start was of good quality and plated well. I had the mediterranean scramble - scrambled eggs with spinach, feta, tomato and olive. The texture of the eggs was actually not bad, probably the best I've had on a plane (haven't had eggs on any of my intl J trips). Tasted way too much of kalamata olive for me, though. The potatoes and chicken and apple sausage were good.

My wife had the lemon curd french toast. Just too hard to do that on a plane. It even looked soggy, while the bacon was as well done as possible while still retaining the brown color of bacon.

Pre-meal pastries were nice. Oh, and Alaska has the best coffee of any domestic carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.