Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I tried the sausage quiche and sweet potato fries breakfast mentioned here;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22995540-post125.html

The fries are OK (they do get cold). Also comes with heirloom tomato. Seat opponent wanted ketchup or Tabasco, none was catered...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: MVPG
I also had the quiche and sweet potato fries recently and liked them. The quiche was perfect (not too dry) and the fries were warm and tasty, and I was in row 4. I thought the FC attendant did an excellent job.

Two weeks ago, I had a pasta dish that was huge - I wish I'd taken a picture! It was a tortellini on top of grilled cabbage (I think- wasn't entirely sure.) It may not sound appealing but it tasted fine, and was more food than I could eat.

This was a welcome contrast to a previous flight where the FC attendant announced that not all the meals had been loaded, therefore she was going to cut down the portions. We each got *2* ravioli.

She did offer anyone who was still hungry a coach meal as well.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
AS 768 SAN-BOS 5/11 - Breakfast

The best I can do is that it was just OK. The fresh fruit to start was of good quality and plated well. I had the mediterranean scramble - scrambled eggs with spinach, feta, tomato and olive. The texture of the eggs was actually not bad, probably the best I've had on a plane (haven't had eggs on any of my intl J trips). Tasted way too much of kalamata olive for me, though. The potatoes and chicken and apple sausage were good.

My wife had the lemon curd french toast. Just too hard to do that on a plane. It even looked soggy, while the bacon was as well done as possible while still retaining the brown color of bacon.

Pre-meal pastries were nice. Oh, and Alaska has the best coffee of any domestic carrier.
How about lunch?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
It is amazing that an 11 PM departure SEA-ANC gets you two cookies and the 1 AM ANC-SEA gets you warm pasta, side salad & chocolate....or is it just weird & cheap.
That is a bit crazy... but wasn't the pasta on ANC-LAX? I wouldn't mind pasta & side salad on ANC-SEA.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I had some fantastic crews this week. All flights had the curtain shut and (most) Y pax shooed to the back. ^
^

Originally Posted by tusphotog
They should stick with the other white meat because the dark meat chicken isn't good. The tortilla, surprisingly enough, was edible.
Why all the dislike of dark chicken meat? If I have the choice I'd take dark myself.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
SEA-LAX AS482 in F 8:15am departure.

We were served a breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, one turkey sausage link, and choice of beverage. Nothing too special but hit the spot for a quick trip that early.
Wow...something that I would actually eat for breakfast that doesn't include salmon or kale or black beans or polenta....lol
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
AS #140 | ANC-PDX
7/10/2014

Departing 11:30 AM
Lunch

The meal consisted of the flavorless and messy meatball sub sandwich with potato chips, accompanied by a Cake Batter Seattle Chocolate. There's no graceful way for a woman to eat this so-called sandwich other than with a knife and fork, which pretty much defeats the purpose of making the dish a sandwich. Sorry, Alaska, but this is *NOT* a first class meal.

It was sad to see this plate resurrected again. I'd hoped it had passed into oblivion after it showed up countless times during my flights to PDX and SEA during April. There are so many other - better - meals that have been served on the southbound 3 1/2 flights from ANC over the past two years. The deconstructed chicken pot-pie, BBQ pulled pork sandwich with slaw, and herbed chicken sandwich with orzo are just a few that come to mind.

I asked the FA if I could have a cheese plate or the tasty bahn mi sandwich from coach. I offered to pay, and was very sad when neither one ever showed up.

Can I trade you my falafel for the meatball sub...yeah, it's kinda messy for first class, but at least it's edible....someday I am hoping to see a bowl of Ivars clam chowder with a sour dough roll for lunch in First class...one can dream, right?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKDan
Wed. July 16, 2014: ANC - SEA AS 104
First (Upgrade at booking)
Snack

Was served a snack featuring chicken with BBQ sauce, green beans, and a cornbread muffin. Coconut Seattle Chocolate on the side.

The meal was fine, cornbread a bit dry but otherwise, no complaints.

Looks good (although seems to have A LOT of BBQ sauce)...actually looks like a more typical meal that I would normally eat (without any kale, polenta, falafel, etc.).^
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i am flying SMF-SEA on the 4:55pm departure later this year. can i expect some sort of snack or meal in F on this flight? if so, how substantial?

my return flight SEA-SMF leaves at about 8pm, i assume that flight will be only cookies and drinks?

thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had the Italian meatball Sub on my SEA-ORD flight Monday, the meatballs were tasty but it was hard to eat as they kept wanting to escape the bun Sadly, the candy flavor was coconut which does not like me at all.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
It was at least a 45-hour wait until dessert was served which I found odd.
My goodness! That is odd!!!

Last edited by Paella747; Jul 31, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
An interesting contrast ...

Yesterday I flew business class on Qantas from Sydney to Melbourne, and I couldn't help contrasting the meal service on that flight with Alaska Air's meals on the mid-day ANC-PDX or ANC-SEA routes.

My QF flight was scheduled as a Noon departure. Flight attendants served lunch with a choice of 3 different main courses - a hot grilled sandwich with cheese, a huge bowl of savory soup or an entree-sized salad. Another FA came by offering rolls and breads from a basket. Each lunch tray also had a full-size dessert, with coffee service following the meal.

The real kicker? All of this was part of a routine 1 hour 35 minute mid-day flight -- barely 1 1/2 hours!

By contrast, it irks me that for 3 1/2 hour mid-day flights during July Alaska could only manage to serve a meatball sub sandwich, a bag of chips and a piece of chocolate in first class.

***sigh***
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Will be flying AS111 (SEA-ANC) leaving SEA @7:55PM

Meal service speaks about a snack. By reading this report I saw that a snack can be a burger as well.

I found no info about this particular flight. I would love to get some better idea about the food on this flight so I can decide to have a full meal on the previous flight (but @ 4-5PM thats a bit early) or just can go for a salad on that flight.

We have a tight connection in SEA so no time for dinner there.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ctporter
Had the Italian meatball Sub on my SEA-ORD flight Monday, the meatballs were tasty but it was hard to eat as they kept wanting to escape the bun Sadly, the candy flavor was coconut which does not like me at all.
Haven't tried the meatball sub but sounds rather tasty...even if a ball or two falls on the ground
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Yesterday I flew business class on Qantas from Sydney to Melbourne, and I couldn't help contrasting the meal service on that flight with Alaska Air's meals on the mid-day ANC-PDX or ANC-SEA routes.

My QF flight was scheduled as a Noon departure. Flight attendants served lunch with a choice of 3 different main courses - a hot grilled sandwich with cheese, a huge bowl of savory soup or an entree-sized salad. Another FA came by offering rolls and breads from a basket. Each lunch tray also had a full-size dessert, with coffee service following the meal.

The real kicker? All of this was part of a routine 1 hour 35 minute mid-day flight -- barely 1 1/2 hours!

By contrast, it irks me that for 3 1/2 hour mid-day flights during July Alaska could only manage to serve a meatball sub sandwich, a bag of chips and a piece of chocolate in first class.

***sigh***
Yes, first class meals suck on AS.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
SEA-ANC, 8:00am departure. FA apologized profusely that the aircraft was not fully catered and they didn't want to take a delay to wait for meals. What?? I can't even get a bad meal in F now? We were served the Beechers breakfast sandwich from coach (complimentary) on a tray with a fork and knife. It was ok.

Too bad I had already had a BK croissan'wich at N gates to hold me over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.