Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? REPORTS (2014 archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? REPORTS (2014 archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Arrow What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? REPORTS (2014 archive)

Our renowned Seat 2A has lead the charge on First Class before. Below is what is expected of this thread. Please see our Discussion thread for further details and opinions. Other forums such as CX have a concise breakdown and we've had a good start in the past. AS tends to rotate menus as well, so we have an idea which item to select when it reappears magically.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Over the years, I’ve seen quite a few posts here at the Alaska Airlines forum from people curious as to what they can expect to be served in First Class on their upcoming flight aboard Alaska Airlines. Although the alaskaair.com website does offer information about what one can expect to be served, many people still post here for more detailed information. In creating this thread, my hope is that with the input of any Alaska Airlines forum members who care to contribute, we can create through photos and/or descriptions a resource for those desiring information about Alaska’s meal service on any given route, regardless of class of service.

Ideally, this thread is simply a place to present a photo and/or description of what you were served on your Alaska flight. This thread is NOT the place to critique or discuss Alaska’s present or future meal service. Nor is it a place to discuss one’s queasiness or lack of same over taking pictures of airline food. Ideally, it will contain ONLY photos and/or descriptions of Alaska’s meals that will serve as a resource to those who want to get a general idea of what they can expect to be served inflight. No more, no less.

I would suggest that any photos and/or descriptions of meals include the following:
  • Date the flight was taken
  • Route flown
  • Class of service
  • Length of flight
  • Meal served
  • A brief description of the meal

It's not important that you remember the exact date or length of flight. A simple guesstimate will do as in Nov. 2009 and 3:20.

For those curious about how to submit photos, a tutorial is available HERE

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:45 pm

Sorry it's a bit late, but last month, LAX-PDX, 9PMish departure. Chicken Skewer on a green salad with corn, cucumbers, and ranch dressing. Different snack service than I'd seen in the past. Paper napkin, but a "real" fork, and served on a tray, with Alaska Airlines branded Salt and Pepper (without asking!).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:50 pm

MCI-SEA 1/7/2014

Salad with Vinaigrette

Braised Beef in Wine Sauce or something like that

Warm Baked Cookies for Desert

Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
ANC-HNL, Jan 2014

I have been sort of avoiding Alaska lately (or concentrating earning in other programs) and haven't been in F on AS for a year or so due to lack of status and redemptions first and business partner awards where Alaska didn't have saver inventory. I recently booked an ANC-HNL-SEA flight and was lucky enough to receive a guest upgrade that was confirmed at the time of booking.

Appetizer: Tropical salad. Kale, mixed greens, and quinoa. Papaya, crumbled goat cheese, and roasted macadamia nuts. Warm Hawaiian sweet roll.

The salad was very flavorful. The papaya and goat cheese dressing exceeded expectations with regard to taste, but the roasted macadamia nuts were absent and the Hawaiian sweet roll was served at room temperature rather than "warm" as listed. The missing macadamia nuts and the temperature of the roll were disappointing, but I wouldn't have even noticed the absence of the nuts if they weren't listed on the menu. (It is possible that the nuts were ground and somehow mixed into the salad, but I wasn't able to taste them.)

Otherwise, the appetizer was great. It surpassed my expectations as far as taste, and the serving size was adequate.

Entree: Choice of green curry chicken, bamboo shoots, and bell peppers... Or, Kalbi beef ribs with Korean BBQ sauce, baby bok choy with toasted sesame seeds, and sticky rice.

I selected the green curry chicken. The curry was served warm and was mildly spicy, and included several pieces of pineapple. The chicken itself was somewhat dry and rubbery, and about half of the rice tasted dry. Although the rice and chicken themselves did not meet expectations, the curry was very tasty and I found the portion to be adequate for one person.

Dessert: Chocolate coconut parfait.

The chocolate coconut parfait was served quite a bit later into the flight, possibly due to a fair amount of turbulence. Although I might have preferred an ice cream sundae or other option, it was about what I expected based on the description. It met expectations with regard to taste and serving size for the length of flight.

Overall, the catering mostly met or exceeded my expectations. Although I was disappointed by the roll's temperature, the apparent lack of macadamia nuts, and some issues with the rice and chicken, the salad dressing and the curry tasted great and the meal was of adequate size for a six hour flight.

Will update later with photos.

Last edited by rwinn; Jan 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
AS 331 SFO-SEA Jan 9

Flew SFO-SEA on Jan 9 in 2D, U class. AS 331 7:00 am departure from SFO. Due to strong headwinds, even though we pushed back at 6:50 am, we arrived about 11 minutes late to the N concourse.

* 2 bags of Summer Harvest Selects golden snack mix with the initial beverage service.

Followed shortly by the same breakfast I have seen the last several times on these 2 hour flights:

* Yogurt with granola, raisins and fruit. Fruit was 4 grapes and one-half strawberry. Raisins were really chewy and granola was very crunchy. Meh.

QX 2314, SEA-YVR, got what seems to be the new standard: "we are expecting a bumpy flight, so the FAs have been asked to stay seated for the whole flight and will not be conducting a service." That said, the only "service" on SEA-YVR is water nowadays.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS FLT 112 ANC-SEA Jan. 2, 2014

Pulled Pork sandwich with spicy cabbage slaw. Full sandwich with lots of BBQ pork. I should have put the slaw on the sandwich for the authentic experience.

Overall very tasty and filling. The wrapped chocolate was the dessert. Seems like an upgrade in the food service with little added expense.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS FLT. 112-SEA-LAX Jan. 10

1hour late departing

Penne pasta Alfredo with mixed green side salad and chocolate. OK but needed the salt and pepper packet to give it flavor.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Jan 8 PHX-PDX 245p departure: pesto penne pasta padded with a salad and a cool mint chocolate. S&P was provided on the trays. ^

Jan 10 PDX-SJC 430p departure: pulled pork "half sandwich" and some coleslaw. The "sandwich" (three bites) was good. My seat mate sure liked the coleslaw. He slurped that stuff up and looked like he was going to lick the plate clean.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
1/7&9 AS466 SEA-LAX: Jerk chicken thigh and salad with cucumber, radish and tomato slices. Honey vinaigrette on the side. Cool mint on tray. 1/7 chicken thigh was the largest chicken thigh I've ever seen... Costco size!

1/7&9 AS467 LAX-SEA: Herb chicken breast and salad with a tomato. Blue cheese dressing in small cup on 1/7, the usual dressing container with a vinaigrette on 1/9. Just the plate and no chocolate.

1/11 AS 470 SEA-LAX: Scrambled eggs, black beans, flour tortilla with pineapple and orange chunks and a strawberry.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Jan 18, 2014
AS467 LAX - SEA
2030 - 2301
First (MVP Upgrade)
Snack mix followed by luke warm cookies (1 chocolate chip and one oatmeal raisin).
App listed the flight as "Meal for purchase" which I assumed was an error, turned out to be so. My records indicate I've never flown this flight before so I can't say how this offering compares to previous iterations. I can compare these cookies to AA's cookies, the latter I prefer much more, though as a cookie fiend, I'll take them all
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Jan 18, 2014
AS467 LAX - SEA
2030 - 2301
First (MVP Upgrade)
Snack mix followed by luke warm cookies (1 chocolate chip and one oatmeal raisin).
App listed the flight as "Meal for purchase" which I assumed was an error, turned out to be so. My records indicate I've never flown this flight before so I can't say how this offering compares to previous iterations. I can compare these cookies to AA's cookies, the latter I prefer much more, though as a cookie fiend, I'll take them all
Alaska is serving cookies now? Why can't they send me a tin of them at Christmas?

I will say, the cookies on AA are quite good. I'm a particular fan of the cranberry oatmeal one I had on DFW-LAX!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:25 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rwinn
. The missing macadamia nuts and the temperature of the roll were disappointing, but I wouldn't have even noticed the absence of the nuts if they weren't listed on the menu. (It is possible that the nuts were ground and somehow mixed into the salad, but I wasn't able to taste them.)
Maybe they were in the salad? Otherwise in October I didnt get any either but you didnt miss much. On my past flights there was a little tiny package with 2 or 3 in it like this and the picture is 2 or 3 times larger than the actual package

Last edited by ANC; Jan 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
01/22/14
AS353
OAK-SEA

Snack mix and quinoa salad
Seattle Chocolate would have been nice but none were served

Appreciated the snack which would not have been served on COdbaUA. I enjoyed it.

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by BOB W
AS FLT 112 ANC-SEA Jan. 2, 2014

Pulled Pork sandwich with spicy cabbage slaw. Full sandwich with lots of BBQ pork. I should have put the slaw on the sandwich for the authentic experience.
1/21/14 SEA-SAT same exact meal. Chocolate was the mint one.

BBQ tasted better than I thought it would.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Smile F dessert in Y PDX-BOS

Date: 1/23/14
Flight: 35
Route: BOS-PDX
Distance: 2533 miles/5:30
Meal: Dessert

Ok so this is kind of a North of Expected post as well as a first class dining post.

As of Monday my flight was still F9 and I expected an upgrade. Since all BOS AS departures on Tuesday were wx cancelled, the flight went to F0 in the blink of an eye. Stuck with 6F tonight.

Usual awesome service by the whole crew.... after F was served, the FA had 4 extra desserts and she proceeded to bring them back to those of us in Y not upgraded. What was it? That really odd, but actually quite tasty, peach parfait. Whip cream or substitute, crumble on top, and some quite good peaches beneath. A little too much "cream" but I can't and won't complain.

Thanks AS! North of Expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.