Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You should have asked for a leftover Y cheese plate, dumped the cheese on top of the pasta, and asked the FA to stick your newly-adorned plate back into the horno. Add a splash of vodka, and you'll have chunky vodka cheese sauce.
Good idea!! next time you come through SEA, PM me! If I am in town I would even splurge for a day pass just to guest you in, I love your posts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
You should have asked for a leftover Y cheese plate, dumped the cheese on top of the pasta, and asked the FA to stick your newly-adorned plate back into the horno. Add a splash of vodka, and you'll have chunky vodka cheese sauce.
Is this an entree from the same cookbook which lists DL's "key lime pie*" as a dessert? It's a very useful cookbook.

*fresh squeezed lime juice on Biscoff cookies
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:54 am

If you do that at 30,000 feet, I'm pretty sure you get automatically certified to be an Etihad Sky Chef.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If you do that at 30,000 feet, I'm pretty sure you get automatically certified to be an Etihad Sky Chef.
LOL
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Is this an entree from the same cookbook which lists DL's "key lime pie*" as a dessert? It's a very useful cookbook.

*fresh squeezed lime juice on Biscoff cookies
The nerve. At least use those Walker's shortbreads as a proper crust.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AS25 BOS-SEA, 800a push Sunday 16 Mar: fruit plate and cranberry-orange scone followed by a choice of a Belgian waffle with scrambled eggs and applewood bacon or a large warm salmon & mushroom quiche. Quiche was good. Warm nut ramekin appeared with an hour to go. No cookies in sight.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Last night ATL - SEA, I was surprised to see the return of the bread basket! I was also surprised that the hot towel appeared during the meal (after the salad?), rather than afterwards (before landing). Surprise #3: dessert service from the cart!

Not surprising, rather a bit tacky ... peach sauce for the pork chop, and tomato sauce for the pasta plated in their aluminum containers.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Last night ATL - SEA, I was surprised to see the return of the bread basket! I was also surprised that the hot towel appeared during the meal (after the salad?), rather than afterwards (before landing). Surprise #3: dessert service from the cart!

Not surprising, rather a bit tacky ... peach sauce for the pork chop, and tomato sauce for the pasta plated in their aluminum containers.
It may look tacky, but I bet a lot of people appreciate the sauce on the side. Especially ctporter, who would have nothing to kvetch about if her food was moist.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My problem was that the containers look ugly, not that the sauce was served on the side.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
It may look tacky, but I bet a lot of people appreciate the sauce on the side. Especially ctporter, who would have nothing to kvetch about if her food was moist.
Hey!! <grin>

Actually, today on SEA DEN for lunch we had the Chicken Verde with rice and ...... it was delicious! (and moist) I admit I did not eat the Tortilla, and it was a bit "crispy" however, it did work great to scoop up the rice
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I was on AS671 (AUS/SEA) last night. Meal was decent. Green salad (no fruit ;-) with the Greek vinaigrette that I like. Entree was large ricotta raviolis with a tomato sauce, but the side appeared to be some kind of a crunchy thin noodle. Couldn't place the taste and I think it might have been deep-fried spaghetti squash. Surprisingly good. When I asked the FA, she didn't have a clue what it was. Ended with the two cookies (which unfortunately were cool by the time they got to me but still proceeded to fall apart as if they were warm).

If anyone knows what the noodle/squash thing, I'd like to know. Would consider trying to recreate at home.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
I was on AS671 (AUS/SEA) last night. Meal was decent. Green salad (no fruit ;-) with the Greek vinaigrette that I like. Entree was large ricotta raviolis with a tomato sauce, but the side appeared to be some kind of a crunchy thin noodle. Couldn't place the taste and I think it might have been deep-fried spaghetti squash. Surprisingly good. When I asked the FA, she didn't have a clue what it was. Ended with the two cookies (which unfortunately were cool by the time they got to me but still proceeded to fall apart as if they were warm).

If anyone knows what the noodle/squash thing, I'd like to know. Would consider trying to recreate at home.
It was, indeed, spaghetti squash. Not sure how to prepare it but it is pretty yummy.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
From my experience, the inclusion of these aspects to the service are often dependent upon the flight attendant working the forward cabin. On a couple of occasions I've seen the bread basket sitting in the galley after bread had simply been placed on the tray. I suspect the baskets have always been there. Shame that it should seem surprising when they are used.

I've also experienced some odd timing on the hot towels. It makes me wonder how flight attendants are trained in this regard. Are they just told that hot towels are now being used and it's left at that or are there specific directives stating the towels are to be presented before or after the meal? Same thing goes for the nuts. Why on earth would anyone not serve the nuts with drinks beforehand? Every other airline does. And I do mean EVERY OTHER AIRLINE. The inconsistencies in these services suggest that a lot of service standards are left up to the flight attendants to interpret. Some clearly do better than others.

Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
the side appeared to be some kind of a crunchy thin noodle. Couldn't place the taste and I think it might have been deep-fried spaghetti squash. Surprisingly good. When I asked the FA, she didn't have a clue what it was.
This might be one for AS Flyer, but aren't the flight attendants supplied with a printout describing what the meal is on each flight?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Why on earth would anyone not serve the nuts with drinks beforehand? Every other airline does. And I do mean EVERY OTHER AIRLINE.
Why on earth? Because it is nice to wipe one's hands off of whatever sins and scum that might have touched them during the day prior to touching bare nuts with bare hands!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

AS 524 - Roast beef dip sandwich and a salad.

Same thing that they've been serving on my last 3 flights to / from Burbank this month.

I sense a pattern.. lets hope that April's flight brings a new menu

Last edited by snicko; Mar 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.