Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Or, from an oven that is not cooking to specs, or from an oven where, due to unforeseen circumstances, has the food in longer than designed (even if the oven has turned off), i.e., passenger needs extended attention, turbulence requiring FA seating, etc.
Out of all the overcooked (or poorly prepared) meals that I and others have been served over the years, it would be interesting to see what percentage of those meals have been affected by the above mentioned issues. I suspect it's south of 30%.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Out of all the overcooked (or poorly prepared) meals that I and others have been served over the years, it would be interesting to see what percentage of those meals have been affected by the above mentioned issues. I suspect it's south of 30%.
Probably so. And it is more likely to be the ones that are too cold, rather than overcooked. I was just adding another variable to the "why your meal sucks" discussion.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Understood. Oddly enough, I don't recall ever having been served a hot meal that was not hot enough or worse - cold. Just my good luck, I guess. I have been served a lot of overcooked meats. Over the past ten years or so, I have seen a lot more FAs spending inordinate amounts of time chatting or reading in the galley. Seems they were a lot busier back in the old days when tray meals were served in coach and trolleys were the norm in First Class (except on Alaska after the samovars went away).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On the flip-flop OGG-SEA tonight AS served: (1) first course, olive oil poached mahi mahi on top of lettuce leaves assembled in a pinwheel pattern with bleu cheese crumbles; (2) entrees, either boneless pork chop with a gravy enhanced with Hana Bay rum and raisin flavors, with fingerling potatoes, carrots and asparagus, or a chicken breast in a pineapple sauce with a yam puree; and (3) dessert, chocolate cake with a dollop of raspberry jam on the side.

This was the single most turbulent flight I've experienced in at least ten years, as the bumps and general discomfort lasted for the first 2 hours 45 minutes of the flight, then, after 30 minutes of relative smoothness, another hour of rocking and rolling. This was all mostly clear air turbulence, as below us the sky was either clear or had small puffy clouds at a low level. Dinner service didn't get going for almost 2 hours after departure.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
The last time I was upgraded to F was in October, from SEA to LAX, en route to South Korea. The breakfast was bad - scrambled eggs, overcooked black beans, orange slice, semi-hard tortilla and container of salsa. Here's hoping AS discontinues this option b/c I've had better breakfasts.
Just flew DCA-LAX and had a surprisingly good breakfast. It was the wild smoked salmon benedict with spinach and potatoes. The english muffin under the smoked salmon/egg topping was chewy and tough, but the rest of it was actually really good.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On the final leg of our Maui trip, SEA-DCA, today, the F breakfast offerings were: (1) first course, fresh fruit plate with pineapple, grapes and orange slices; (2) main course, choice of bacon and swiss chard quiche pie accompanied by asparagus spears and a stewed cherry tomato, or british beef hash. Had the quiche, which turned out to be quite delicious.

The FA served us ceramic ramekins of warm mixed nuts about an hour from landing.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
SEA-ATL F/C Breakfast

Originally Posted by Buster
Just flew DCA-LAX and had a surprisingly good breakfast. It was the wild smoked salmon benedict with spinach and potatoes. The english muffin under the smoked salmon/egg topping was chewy and tough, but the rest of it was actually really good.
Also had this choice, but the muffin was almost toasted crispy around the edges, not tough ^ I thought it was very tasty with several large chunks of Smoked Salmon and a fair portion of spinach. No complaints Certainly beats "cheeze whiz" omelets
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
What kind of food is served on after-dinner departures (i.e. 9p SEA-LAX)? I assume it's not a full meal, but there's something, right?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
What kind of food is served on after-dinner departures (i.e. 9p SEA-LAX)? I assume it's not a full meal, but there's something, right?
Should be some sort of a small salad with chicken or a small pasta dish. Beginning Feb, there will be some nice upgrades to the FC product in terms of catering, and I don't know exactly what they'll be offering then.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Beginning Feb, there will be some nice upgrades to the FC product in terms of catering, and I don't know exactly what they'll be offering then.
I did get a peek at the secret press release.

Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Beginning Feb, there will be some nice upgrades to the FC product in terms of catering, and I don't know exactly what they'll be offering then.
I did get a peek at the secret press release.

Oh this is the new branding hinted at earlier

Will be interesting to see what February yields ^
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Should be some sort of a small salad with chicken or a small pasta dish. Beginning Feb, there will be some nice upgrades to the FC product in terms of catering, and I don't know exactly what they'll be offering then.
Any updates yet
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:38 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
If its a chicken pot pie made with puff pastry its not too bad. The filling is good although at least mine had bits of hard gristle on a few chicken pieces.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Oh this is the new branding hinted at earlier

Will be interesting to see what February yields ^
They're going to serve TW Y meals?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They're going to serve TW Y meals?
Never flown them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.