Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Nope its catered as a mid-con. No menu and typically no appetizer. There have been reports of some kind of dessert plated separately, recently cookies. But that wouldn't apply to breakfast flights
Hmmm...I wonder what the mileage cut-off is? Is SEA-DTW going to be considered a mid-con? It's only a few hundred miles more than ORD.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Hmmm...I wonder what the mileage cut-off is? Is SEA-DTW going to be considered a mid-con? It's only a few hundred miles more than ORD.
Not sure about DTW... ATL is a transcon but its an extra 250 miles or so over DTW.

Wouldn't be surprised if its 2000 miles as the differentiator.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:57 pm

DTW will be catered as a transcon from what I'm told.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
"Breakfast as served on the 0800 departure ORD-SEA earlier this month. No fruit; no bread options"----this is not unusual, even w/salt and pepper.

I've flown a lot of F on Alaska. I have never had a meal that was any better than what I could have had at a "Denny's". I like the Seattle Chocolate but those would cost me 35 cents at the register at Denny's.

I don't know what this thread has such longevity because I don't think anybody thinks the food in F, regardless of what they are serving, is "GREAT" on any Alaska flight. So, with respect, who cares what they are serving in F class on your next flight as it's not likely to be anybody's idea of a "treat".

Also, what's the deal w/dumping Glenlivet single malt scotch for Dewar's. Even at the Oregon state run liquor store, the retail price differential between Glenlivet and Dewar's is $1.50. If I'm paying, and I have, $1400 for a F class seat, can I get a decent meal w/some decent scotch. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
I've flown a lot of F on Alaska. I have never had a meal that was any better than what I could have had at a "Denny's". I like the Seattle Chocolate but those would cost me 35 cents at the register at Denny's.
Sure some options are not very exiting. However there are several transcon options that I think would beat Denny's. Granted its been quite a few years since I've been to one. Especially catering to/from Hawaii.

Also, what's the deal w/dumping Glenlivet single malt scotch for Dewar's. Even at the Oregon state run liquor store, the retail price differential between Glenlivet and Dewar's is $1.50. If I'm paying, and I have, $1400 for a F class seat, can I get a decent meal w/some decent scotch. Fingers crossed.
I've shared my written thoughts with AS about the removal of Glenlivet. I applaud AS partnering with Sun Distillery however Dewars is not the same (nor local). Glenlivet isn't PNW either but is decent.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:22 pm

[QUOTE=beckoa;23418457)
I've shared my written thoughts with AS about the removal of Glenlivet. I applaud AS partnering with Sun Distillery however Dewars is not the same (nor local). Glenlivet isn't PNW either but is decent.[/QUOTE]

I think it's great to offer regional/local products. However, I am not aware of ANY scotch-at least a decent scotch-being locally produced. Perhaps in this instance, we should look to Scotland. They seem to have a real knack for making great Scotch! Dewar's is not good, let alone great. The price differential between it and a really good scotch is insignificant. Heck, a blend, like Johnny Walker Black or Chivas costs about the same as The Glenlivet, and it is not such a large price differential for Alaska Airlines to have made the change.

Beckoa: is there a place to register one's unhappiness w/dumping a great product for a crummy one...a place where Alaska might actually hear us? Each time I've asked a F flight attendant about the change they uniformly tell me that the F class cabin's verdict is a unanimous "no" to the change, and they encourage me to make my voice heard. How do we do that? Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

I think it's great to offer regional/local products. However, I am not aware of ANY scotch-at least a decent scotch-being locally produced. Perhaps in this instance, we should look to Scotland. They seem to have a real knack for making great Scotch! Dewar's is not good, let alone great. The price differential between it and a really good scotch is insignificant. Heck, a blend, like Johnny Walker Black or Chivas costs about the same as The Glenlivet, and it is not such a large price differential for Alaska Airlines to have made the change.

Beckoa: is there a place to register one's unhappiness w/dumping a great product for a crummy one...a place where Alaska might actually hear us? Each time I've asked a F flight attendant about the change they uniformly tell me that the F class cabin's verdict is a unanimous "no" to the change, and they encourage me to make my voice heard. How do we do that? Thanks!
I fill in this form:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments

This was my reply earlier in the year pertaining to the dumping of Glenlivet:

Originally Posted by Customer Care Reply

Dear beckoa,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines with regard to the selection of liquor served onboard.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions and feedback regarding the beverage selection that is currently provided inflight. While airline food and beverage service has changed industry-wide over the years to keep costs and fares in check, Alaska Airlines has continued to make every effort to provide preferred services for a competitive price. We still endeavor to hold true to that concept, even in today’s highly competitive airline industry. Thank you for your suggestion regarding our beverage service. I want to assure you that we value your comments and I have taken the liberty of sharing them to our Food and Beverage Department for further review.

beckoa, thank you very much for writing. We look forward to welcoming you aboard an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Sincerely,

XXXX
Customer Care Representative
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

I fill in this form:

thank you for the link beckoa. I filled it out and will advise if they tell me anything different---though the immediate return email I received said it could take up to 30 days to likely tell me that which they told you.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I fill in this form:

thank you for the link beckoa. I filled it out and will advise if they tell me anything different---though the immediate return email I received said it could take up to 30 days to likely tell me that which they told you.
Thanks for leaving your thoughts as well ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hmmm...I wonder what the mileage cut-off is?
My guess is that it's more dependent upon the competition... From what I hear, United is even worse.

More and more, First Class is about the bigger seat and a couple of free drinks. Beyond that, if you want to eat better, $8-10.00 will score you a pretty good take along meal from most food courts. My $6.00 Schlotsky's was way better than Alaska's First Class offering the other day...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:17 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by meej
Date of flight: 8/25/14
Time of Departure: 10:00pm
Route flown: SEA - ANC
Length of flight: ~3 hour, 30 min
Meal served: None
Description: Two warm cookies
Comment: Asked gate agent what would be served in F and she told us warm nuts. It was cookies instead but no issue as we grabbed food before boarding. Service was pretty meh - FA spent a lot of time chatting and reading a magazine, didn't get drinks for a good 20-30 min into flight.
They should offer at least a sandwich or a free snack box. Even a bowl of that cheap ol' pasta they used to serve... How much does it cost to plate and serve 3oz of noodles and a smidgen of marinara sauce? Evidently enough to cut into those impressive profit margins of late. Why not just give us a free $6.00 coach sandwich or snack box?

I mean, we're talkin' $6.00 to enjoy what's described as "distinctive" First Class service!

Oh yeah, I forgot. That $6.00, multiplied system wide on those late night flights would cut too deeply into those impressive profit margins of late...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Sooo... whats up with them serving the main cabin food up front?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Is SAN-MCO regular/full transcon service?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
"Breakfast as served on the 0800 departure ORD-SEA earlier this month. No fruit; no bread options"----this is not unusual, even w/salt and pepper.

I don't know what this thread has such longevity because I don't think anybody thinks the food in F, regardless of what they are serving, is "GREAT" on any Alaska flight. So, with respect, who cares what they are serving in F class on your next flight as it's not likely to be anybody's idea of a "treat".

+1
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Every airline dumped Glenlivet. It's no longer produced in mini bottles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.