Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I hereby bequeath all of my servings of quinoa, kale, farro and millet to the three of you. Please enjoy.

In exchange, I will eat all of the mushrooms and broccoli that is served (provided the broccoli hasn't been cooked beyond recognition).
Can I donate my falafel to someone? I hope I don't see that again anytime soon....if we're going to go the Greek route, at least try a nice Gyro....3 hush puppies on a dry piece of pita bread just didn't do it for me (and truth be told, I had never heard of a "falafel" either....wasn't sure if it was a sandwich, soup, casserole, etc.).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The broccoli on tonight's flight (MSY-SEA) was perfectly cooked. As for the pork however, it was wayyy overcooked. I had to chew hard and then snap my head back to get it down. Grrrr! (That's me vigorously shaking my head back and forth trying to separate the pork from the fork!)
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The broccoli on tonight's flight (MSY-SEA) was perfectly cooked. As for the pork however, it was wayyy overcooked. I had to chew hard and then snap my head back to get it down. Grrrr! (That's me vigorously shaking my head back and forth trying to separate the pork from the fork!)
Did the fork bend while attempting that procedure?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:24 pm

How would you choose between AS's and Virgin America's first class, if mileage program isn't a concern?

I'm planning for my Nov flight between SFO and PDX, and these two airlines offer the lowest prices for F class ticket, about $400 for a round trip ticket.

Can't decide now. Can any experienced flyers give me some advice? Many thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chataulait
How would you choose between AS's and Virgin America's first class, if mileage program isn't a concern?

I'm planning for my Nov flight between SFO and PDX, and these two airlines offer the lowest prices for F class ticket, about $400 for a round trip ticket.

I would choose Virgin America for the in-flight entertainment although it's such a short flight, it probably about close to equal.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:03 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are the PDX/SEA-Mexico non-stops catered as transcons (menu, 3 courses, nuts, etc.)? Just wondering since they are around the same mileage.
PVR-SEA was not last winter. Was the normal short -haul mini side salad and some type of meat. Disappointing for a 4+ hr flight. They did have heated nuts though, sometimes server before dinner snack and sometimes as a pre-landing snack.

Sorry, not sure about this year yet.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Huh. I'll have to follow up with this next month. Perhaps an error?
they do have glenlivet on QX. i saw it purchased this past weekend on a SMF-PDX flight.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Originally Posted by beckoa

Huh. I'll have to follow up with this next month. Perhaps an error?
they do have glenlivet on QX. i saw it purchased this past weekend on a SMF-PDX flight.

Must be left over...

Black or gold cap?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

Thats a short flight but VX is going to be far superior in every aspect, especially the seat. I would go VX without question.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ryan182
Thats a short flight but VX is going to be far superior in every aspect, especially the seat. I would go VX without question.
If I were a BR member, I'd consider AS for the CX lounge access @ SFO. For everything else (as miles/points not an issue), VX would be my choice.

One more thing - AS F will get you BR access in PDX, but not @SFO.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
On that short of a flight, I'd choose the airline with the best schedule. I've done VX F on that route and it's really nice, but the flight is only about 90 minutes. VX only has one flight a day on that route so if IRROPS happen, you might have a problem getting back on schedule.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Comments Moved from the "Reports" Thread ...

They've been serving a variation on the Vietnamese banh mi candwich, jona970318, PDXPremier, Points Scrounger, and that's what's in the photo.

Traditionally the banh mi is made with pork or pork belly, and served with picked carrots, peppers and cilantro. The versions I've had on AS were either made with chicken or pork, not turkey. And last time I checked, neither Subway or Quizno's served banh mi ... but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by jona970318
Date the flight was taken: 10/20/2014
Route flown: LAX-YVR
Class of service: F
Length of flight: 3hr
Meal served: lunch/afternoon snack
A brief description of the meal:
A warm sandwich/hoggie with turkey. It was crunchy but juicy. I thought it was quite good, so did my seatmate

Are those raw jalapenos next to the turkey sandwich? I enjoy jalapenos on my sandwiches (always get them at Subway), but I don't think I would want them raw unless the FA left a couple bottles of water at my tray....odd sandwich fixing for airplane food.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I had that one recently SEA - LAX. Flight attendant warned us the peppers were hot, so I diced some (NOT all) of it into small pieces, which jazzed things up without requiring he break out the aircraft fire extinguisher.
At least Subway or Quiznos doesn't make you eat them raw....yikes.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
They've been serving a variation on the Vietnamese banh mi candwich, jona970318, PDXPremier, Points Scrounger, and that's what's in the photo.

Traditionally the banh mi is made with pork or pork belly, and served with picked carrots, peppers and cilantro. The versions I've had on AS were either made with chicken or pork, not turkey. And last time I checked, neither Subway or Quizno's served banh mi ... but I could be wrong.
And I think I now know why they don't serve Banh mi sandwiches....I can't imagine someone saying, "Could I get extra pickled carrots and pork bellies on that sandwich?"
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
And I think I now know why they don't serve Banh mi sandwiches....I can't imagine someone saying, "Could I get extra pickled carrots and pork bellies on that sandwich?"
I'll be happy to take your share of pork belly - delicious! Think of it as bacon raised to the Nth power - SuperBacon.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As one who's long made championship quality salsa, I say bring on the raw jalapeņos for the Bahn Mi sandwich! Fresh and raw jalapeņos are (to me, at least) much better tasting than those gross olive green canned things that taste nothing like a good fresh jalapeņo and should be relegated to late night nachos with velveeta at drive in movie theaters in Southwestern Mississippi. (Available only with the second feature!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.