Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
It will all come down to price.
For most of the traveling public, this happened a long time ago. No matter what people say ("I'd pay extra for more legroom!" or "I hate all these nickel and dime fees!") in the end, it's all about who has the lowest fare.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jwright
For most of the traveling public, this happened a long time ago. No matter what people say ("I'd pay extra for more legroom!" or "I hate all these nickel and dime fees!") in the end, it's all about who has the lowest fare.
Hmmm...I know you said "for most of the traveling public" - but if I was solely looking at price, I would rarely be on Alaska flights.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
my 2011 cert expires on July 18th, You think I'll actually see my 2012 cert in my wallet/cert area by July 30th?

We'll probably cancel our cards. Although, buying one 800 buck ticket to DC and the other for 110 is still better than a poke in the eye.

For our Hawaii trips, we'll probably fly via BLI, unless they figure out how to embargo fliers from less than 85 miles away from using that airport for some lame reason.

I would even be happy paying up to 400 bucks a year for that companion cert that books into F.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
"an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders;"

What is this in regards to existing cardholders (and what are premium cards?). I've got the Signature Visa and got the BR passes when I first signed up, but nothing on my renewal.
I wrote "Jane Doe" back and asked her to explain the enhanced lounge benefit. If and when I get an answer, I will share it here.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dave1013
I wrote "Jane Doe" back and asked her to explain the enhanced lounge benefit. If and when I get an answer, I will share it here.
This was mentioned in the hard copy of the changes that I received via snail mail. Sit down because this is HUGE!

They are going to waive 50 dollars of the initiation fee for the BR, rather than 25 for non MVPG.

Let the celebrations begin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
regardless of status, companion certificate is for coach travel only

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
This is OK if you're willing to try your luck in the upgrade crapshoot that takes place in the days and hours just before your flight -- maybe the 75Ks will do well. But if you want to get seats in F right off the bat using a companion cert then you have to hope that they will make U space available. Not holding my breath on that.

The cynic in me wonders whether they are thinking they'll effectively issue a challenge to some marginal elites this way: You can no longer use the 50% F mileage bonus on companion fare tickets to get over the top to renew your status so you have to fly more or spend more than in the past to qualify.

Edited to add: The above quote from AKLifetimeFlyer is something he got from the AS FB page. I didn't mean to make it look as if he were defending AS.
I just spoke to Customer Care who reports that regardless of status, MVP, MVP Gold or 75k, you can still only use the companion certificate to book into coach and therefore this post is completely correct. Unless you have 75k status, you only have some chance of getting an upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
It just slays me how AS has (had) found a formula to profitability and rather than build upon that, they are stripping away, one by one, the very perks that make them unique and bring in business, my business anyway.
That's what you get when you have an accountant running the place....
Mr. Tilden being an accountant has next to nothing to do with it. I've known several chief executives with accounting backgrounds who have successfully grown large companies without slashing customer benefits.

These decisions have likely been in the works for a very long time. It wasn't some overnight decision.

It sucks for us, but there is still some decent value, in particular for those that are AK-based, or in some of the smaller PNW markets that have limited/expensive service.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Chugach
These decisions have likely been in the works for a very long time. It wasn't some overnight decision.
Why yes, as evidenced by the premature release of the new T&C on 3 different links, a few months back.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
I just spoke to Customer Care who reports that regardless of status, MVP, MVP Gold or 75k, you can still only use the companion certificate to book into coach and therefore this post is completely correct. Unless you have 75k status, you only have some chance of getting an upgrade.
And after thinking about it I realize that even the 75Ks will have something of a disadvantage in the upgrade process in that you need 2 U seats to be available at the same time to upgrade when tickets were booked with the companion cert. So even 75Ks may be out of luck if U space is at times released 1 seat at a time.

Fortunately my card doesn't come up for renewal until the fall so I can wait a while to make a decision.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:24 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
ETA - has anyone phoned B of A and asked to have their certificate date accelerated to July (mine is in December) in order to grandfather in one last trip? Outcome? I plan to do so tomorrow, under threat of immediate cancellation. Not sure if B of A can even do it, but asking is free.
So I phoned B of A and asked if my renewal date could be expedited to pre-August 1. The agent said no, and when I said (nicely) that it was a shame, but that I was probably planning to drop the card as a result of this change, he said, "Have a nice day."

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:50 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by dave1013
Dear Mr. dave1013,

We appreciate that you took the time to contact Caroline Boren with regard to our upcoming changes to our Alaska Airlines Bank of America credit cards. Caroline has asked that I respond to you on her behalf.

The changes to the credit card program benefits were aimed at maintaining the program's viability while also protecting what we felt were the most important components of the value that it offers to cardholders like yourself.

It has been many years since we have made significant changes to our credit card benefits and we were finding it increasingly challenging to not modify the features and benefits in today’s economy, and with the growth of our airline into markets across the country and across the Pacific to Hawaii.

I know you mentioned canceling your Bank of America card. (Note: nowhere in my email did I mention canceling my card - which leads me to believe (1) this is a canned response and (2) unlike the baggage fee for upgraders reconsideration, there's no turning back on this change) I wanted to share with you that we still offer unsurpassed value among comparable airline and travel rewards cards, including: top mileage earn rates for everyday purchases and Alaska Airlines purchases; a companion certificate that can used everywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico; an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders; and the ability to redeem miles on Alaska Airlines and our 15 airline partners.

Mr. dave1013, thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your business and thank you for being a Mileage Plan and Gold member with us since 1987. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you on board an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Warm Regards,

"Jane Doe"
Customer Care Manager
yeah that sounds to me like a phony blanket response. They dont give a #@_$ what anybody has to say
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:02 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Xero
The way courts have been ruling these days, what a company advertises is irrelevant because the contract overrides everything else.
or legislation overrides the constitution for that matter. Yeah I hear ya
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:04 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by lalala
my 2011 cert expires on July 18th, You think I'll actually see my 2012 cert in my wallet/cert area by July 30th?

probably be some "oh whoops were apologize there was some kind of technical glitch in our syatem that prevent the new certificate from arriving before august"

Honestly mine show up usually a week or 2 before that actual official renewal date so.......sounds like keep us updated
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, United Mileage Plus, Northwest Worldperks, Delta, US Airways, Southwest
Viable alternatives?

Like a lot of you, I've had this feeling for a long time that Alaska just hasn't learned from the past.
The BofA marriage was fraught with danger from the get-go. BofA is ranked near the bottom in customer service and.... who needs to go into the mortgage debacle? My 90-something parents were double-dipped by BofA via an automatic withdrawal they didn't authorize and it took another bank and constant harassment to get them to rescind the resulting fees. Alaska's comment? "No Comment."
While it doesn't solve the need for quick travel, it's my recommendation that we business travelers start looking at Amtrak as a viable alternative, especially in well-traveled corridors (PDX/SEA, for example). Until the greedy corporate types get some pushback from the travelers, it's just going to continue.
And by the way--- BA now stands for... Boycott Alaska.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
"an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders;"

What is this in regards to existing cardholders.
$50 off the initiation fee for Board Room membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.