Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by johnp012001
What's the $50 in taxes?
Most likely the Hawaii/Alaska/Intl departure/arrival taxes.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:36 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
just curious what sales pitch are FAs currently giving onboard? If they are still touting that you can get an annual companion fare good for any fare including first class ticket (just because if you get it from now until August thats what you get "once" the first time only) they are using deceit and possibly fraud to get people to sign up. They are about out of perks to promote that you cant find elsewhere
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:57 pm

What's the $50 in taxes?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The $110 is the $99 plus tax. What's the extra $50 tax he added in?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Most likely the Hawaii/Alaska/Intl departure/arrival taxes.
What Hawaii/Alaska tax? Did I miss something?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
What Hawaii/Alaska tax? Did I miss something?
Isn't there a gateway tax for flights to/from Alaska/Hawaii?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
What's the $50 in taxes?
Taxes can definitely go higher than $11, especially for multi-leg itineraries. My companion fare for PDX-SEA-PHL showed this:

Base Fare and Surcharges $99.00
Taxes and Other Fees $50.62
per person total: $149.62
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:44 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
If I apply for a new AS card today, what are the chances of the companion certificate being deposited before 8/1?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Isn't there a gateway tax for flights to/from Alaska/Hawaii?
Not that I'm aware of but I haven't looked at a ticket recently. Maybe there's an agriculture fee for Hawaii, I'm not sure.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've thrown away my old tickets from May but we used our companion fare in F to HNL and IIRC there were about $149 in taxes...I think that was total for the 2 of us.

Do a dummy booking to Hawaii and the taxes should show up, I don't know if they were less on the $99 ticket, maybe they were percentage based.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by ANC
just curious what sales pitch are FAs currently giving onboard? If they are still touting that you can get an annual companion fare good for any fare including first class ticket (just because if you get it from now until August thats what you get "once" the first time only) they are using deceit and possibly fraud to get people to sign up. They are about out of perks to promote that you cant find elsewhere
On flight 731 yesterday, there was no sales pitch on either leg. It was a nice change.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by apodo77
I have never used one of these before (don't have the CC) but if these passes were causing the airline to lose money (as alluded to in their post on FB) hard for me to fault them.
AS hasn't lot money in quite a few years. They are into extreme costcutting mode right now. So don't fault them when free soda/juice/water and pretzels go away too.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They are sticking it to those who stuck by them in their hard times, and now, in their good times, the shilshul bomb has gone off over many of us.
+1 It's getting harder and harder to not take it personally when I have been so loyal to AS for so many years. But it's just business I guess.

Originally Posted by ANC
I'll by flying out in 2 hours and for the first time anxiuosly awaiting for, and intently listening to, the sales pitch.

Meanwhile, Alec Balwin is smiling somewhere. What have you got in your wallet?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Alaska has figured out quite a while ago that they can fill long haul first cabins (especially to hawaii) with paid first class.

I bet the award levels for first class will probably go up too.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
What's the $50 in taxes?
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The $110 is the $99 plus tax. What's the extra $50 tax he added in?
Seriously?? The "from $110" including taxes is pretty much fraudulent. You'd have to look for a while to find an itin in the entire route network with taxes that low - maybe something like 1 way CDV - ANC. In general, $50 is a pretty reasonable estimate. From our last companion cert (BZN - YVR//ANC - BZN):

Taxes and Other Fees $54.52
per person total: $153.52
And the one before that (BZN - ANC r/t):

Taxes and Other Fees $60.12
per person total: $159.12
And before that (ANC - HNL r/t):

Base Fare: 50.00
Tax: 35.08
Total: 85.08
So...for the kinds of tickets most people would use the companion cert on...the taxes are a lot higher than $11...or maybe it's just an ANC thing?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I used a companion cert for SEA-HNL a couple of weeks ago. Roundtrip companion fare was $137.70. The base fare was $99.29 with taxes/fees of $38.40. This includes a U.S. Gateway Fee of $8.40, so tusphotog was right. Don't remember if it's charged both ways or not.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jul 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm Reason: Add info.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Alaska Airlines looking more like USAirways

These changes make the Alaska BA cards in the state more like the USAirways BA cards. I have both since I'm based in Phoenix.

My wife and I use the companion tickets for one of three trips we make -- Victoria, Portland, or Kona. Typically we make two of these trips a year. I really liked the 1st class companion ticket -- didn't always use it as the only flight it was REALLY nice for was the flights to Kona (from either Oakland or Portland). This year we doubled up -- flying to Kona via Portland and using a pair of the companion tickets to visit with friends in Portland before and after our trip to Kona. Later this month we're going to Victoria (Phoenix/Seattle/Victoria) using the companion tickets.

We actually doubled up Business and Regular B of A cards for both of us -- mostly for the mileage promotion and the extra companion tickets.

So for us, the first thing we'll do is drop the Business card prior to renewal. We will still keep the regular cards since we are willing to fly plebian and the two companion fares are worth it.

Note that the no new 1st class useable coupons not only does not apply to existing coupons, but if you have those coupons you can buy tickets near the expiration date for flights up to 11 months later. We still have a coupon that doesn't expire until next March -- we'll use that for flights up to Victoria next summer I suspect.

At least I doubt they cancel use for the Hawaii flights -- those flights from any airline run close to $1K round trip and do make the credit card worth it as long as you can live with coach for the flight. That is a major reason for me to keep the card. That plus accumulating miles to get a major trip for 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.