Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:27 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I just don't see how it is "abuse" to use a product as sold (and this was no secret), and to give an airline, say, $1700 to $2000 for 2 tickets when they would be much more likely to go to an upgrader or a mileage redeemer if they don't sell all the seats.

This airline has done nothing to discourage or prevent card churning and multiple cards, including multiple bonuses, and multiple companion fares. They have had years to do so. Sorry, not abuse. The credit card partnerships are way too valuable.
You're absolutely correct. Perhaps abuse was the wrong word. But I don't fault those who took advantage of the ability to have multiple cards...and multiple bonuses...and book companion F tickets multiple times per year... This behavior was not discouraged.

I guess I'm just surprised that everyone is so surprised to see this go. I'm sure if AS reviewed it and saw that it was mostly 75K's and MVPG's using the companion certs for F once or twice a year, they might not close it...but my guess is, as above, they realized that a lot of people reaping the benefit weren't repeat and valuable customers.

Therefore, the conclusion is that the marketing incentive did not work - it did not bring back repeat and profitable customers...so, yeah, maybe they do want to hold back those seats so that 75K's have higher upgrade chances...because the 75K's will ultimately prove more profitable than those that only book F companion certs.

It's a business. The business decision will hurt some loyal customers, but my best guess is that AS concludes that mostly it will alienate less valuable, infrequent customers who were only taking advantage of this one benefit.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jul 11, 2012 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
Lightbulb suggestion--MIGHT SUIT BEANCOUNTERS AND PASSENGERS

what if holders of the alaska visa who are also MVPG could use companion pass for F and those with lower status could not? They could offer MVPs something better than just coach ie instantly upgradeable U class on certain fare bases for their companion tickets. Those without status could redeem for coach or for an upgrade eligible fare if bought in a high enough fare basis '

THE LATTER TWO CASES ARE ALREADY THE CASE, IT IS JUST A QUESTION OF WHICH FARE BASES WOULD BE UPGRADEABLE AND WHETHER INSTANTLY OR ONLY 24 HRS BEFORE OR ON DAY OF....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:47 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Probably time to send the Freddie acceptance speeches back to word processing.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Probably time to send the Freddie acceptance speeches back to word processing.
I don't think AS won any this year...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
You're absolutely correct. Perhaps abuse was the wrong word. But I don't fault those who took advantage of the ability to have multiple cards...and multiple bonuses...and book companion F tickets multiple times per year... This behavior was not discouraged.

I guess I'm just surprised that everyone is so surprised to see this go. I'm sure if AS reviewed it and saw that it was mostly 75K's and MVPG's using the companion certs for F once or twice a year, they might not close it...but my guess is, as above, they realized that a lot of people reaping the benefit weren't repeat and valuable customers.

Therefore, the conclusion is that the marketing incentive did not work - it did not bring back repeat and profitable customers...so, yeah, maybe they do want to hold back those seats so that 75K's have higher upgrade chances...because the 75K's will ultimately prove more profitable than those that only book F companion certs.

It's a business. The business decision will hurt some loyal customers, but my best guess is that AS concludes that mostly it will alienate less valuable, infrequent customers who were only taking advantage of this one benefit.
...if it does increase upgrade space on flights... I won't be as peeved. Will this happen is the bigger question...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
...if it does increase upgrade space on flights... I won't be as peeved. Will this happen is the bigger question...
It didn't with the slaughtering of the Gold upgrade certificates.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
If I apply for a new AS card today, what are the chances of the companion certificate being deposited before 8/1?
Is the concensus that it's no longer possible to apply now, and get the cert deposited before August 1?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WaterSkipper
The BofA marriage was fraught with danger from the get-go. BofA is ranked near the bottom in customer service and....
Actually, BofA is at the bottom, number one in the just-released 2011 Customer Hall of Shame survey from MSN Money:

http://money.msn.com/investing/the-2...1116&GT1=33002

In the 2011 MSN Money-Zogby survey of customer service, a whopping 41.4% of respondents called Bank of America's service as a credit card company poor; 39% called its service for banking poor.

It's a bad partner for Alaska Airlines if it wants to be known for good customer service.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Because the full F companion ticket with mileage earning was too good to be true. Probably, for a while, only a few customers took advantage of this benefit - many never thought to try...because they probably never purchased an F ticket in their life. But, as awareness increases, soon abuse creeps in - likely many people made aware of this card, got the card ONLY for this benefit, and many ONLY flew AS once a year, and only used the card once a year for that purchase. It's no great mystery that these aren't great customers to AS or to BofA... So now when multiple FTers on this thread are saying that their 3 or 4 cards are going to be cancelled...well, it's no great mystery that the system was being abused... In some ways, I'm surprised AS maintained this benefit as long as it did. But, I'm going to have to say that the few probably killed this benefit...but the many will still value the companion certificate for what it is.
I've used the companion certificate to purchase a First Class fare exactly once: for a flight to EWR the week after Thanksgiving when even coach fares are extremely high.

That said, I do plan to cancel my two, and my spouse plans to cancel her one, BofA AS credit cards mostly because of BofA's bad service (after yet another mandatory credit card number switch, not communicated until after the card stopped working).

Our switch was already being considered. The reduction in benefits -- mostly the end of the 1K booking bonus, not the FC companion fare -- tips the balance.

I still plan to fly AS, regardless.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The application process still shows no mention of the new T&C, so either (1) they expect to approve everyone who applies AND have codes issued prior to 1 Aug, or (2) .....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:38 am

Weird timing. Had been seriously considering cancelling AS visas (two personal and one business) for quite some time, but held on for companion fare in FC alone. Now will cancel all, as it serves no purpose for us to keep them.

I have read through this thread and many apologies if I've missed the obvious - anniv dates are in the fall. If I cancel cards now, assume I can still use the one certificate I have left to book companion + FC?

And now comes the search for the best value on credit cards ... does anyone have a suggestion on where to start the search? Our flying habits are way down - aside from every other year trips down under to see daughter who will be moving there next year - we have decided the headaches of flying, at least in the continental US - just simply aren't worth the trouble. Losing MVP status, paying for baggage, no upgrade chance, no value on companion fare booking - it's been brewing awhile so no big loss - so visa cards are going to be about convenience and cost, not frequent flyer related.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by inthchips
I have read through this thread and many apologies if I've missed the obvious - anniv dates are in the fall. If I cancel cards now, assume I can still use the one certificate I have left to book companion + FC?
The answer is "yes". Your remaining companion code, issued before August 1, 2012, is good for buying F tickets until expiry.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm finding I like my hotel cards better than my airline cards. We are retired leisure travelers, so everything comes out of our pocket. We also can plan very far ahead.

If you think about it, your plane fare is just a one time hit on your vacation...with planning you can find a decent airfare.

But your hotel is multiple nights...we like nice places (not really top end) so the places we want to stay are usually in the $300 a night range, and multiply that for a week and it's WAY more than the bargain airfare you were able to score. And don't forget when you pay for a hotel, you pay the taxes - when you use hotel points, taxes are included, which can be huge in some pricey destinations.

So I'd think about what chain you like best (we had a Starwood card for a while, and now we have a Hilton Amex) and we're just racking up the Hilton points - and the Hilton card has no annual fee.

I'm still keeping my AS Visa as a backup to places that don't take Amex (and the fact we live in an AS town), and I will continue to use the coach companion fare...as someone said, saving any amount of money is better than a stick in the eye.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

I honestly don't believe that is the reason.

It was a marketing program. They wanted to bring in customers and this was an incentive. They are reducing the incentive and probably will evaluate what else they can reduce in the future and then what else etc etc. That is how the marketing programs go.

Who pays for the companion Alaska or Bank of America? Do we know? If it was B or A they I am sure want to spend the least they can and so trying to encourage the cheapest companion would cost them the less.

If it was Alaska that paid, then they probably feel that either they gave enough First trial seats out for people to taste first that they want to see if they will now purchase first on their own.

My choice, and the choice of many people I know is going to be cancelling the card. This was a huge benefit for the card and with it gone - its other cards for me!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by smilee
I honestly don't believe that is the reason.

It was a marketing program. They wanted to bring in customers and this was an incentive. They are reducing the incentive and probably will evaluate what else they can reduce in the future and then what else etc etc. That is how the marketing programs go.

Who pays for the companion Alaska or Bank of America? Do we know? If it was B or A they I am sure want to spend the least they can and so trying to encourage the cheapest companion would cost them the less.

If it was Alaska that paid, then they probably feel that either they gave enough First trial seats out for people to taste first that they want to see if they will now purchase first on their own.

My choice, and the choice of many people I know is going to be cancelling the card. This was a huge benefit for the card and with it gone - its other cards for me!
Agreed. Moreover, this will be revenue loss for B of A (I'm cancelling my 4 VISA cards) which I used to spend heavily on -so bye bye $75 annual fee and the 2%-2.5% skim + AK as I'm switching carriers as a consequence of the companion certificate fiasco so no more full fare first from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.