Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:43 pm

Right, so this doesn't seem as bad a change for elites as it will be for non-elites. High level elites can effectively book in first class assuming U space is available and save some coin, albeit lose some qualifying miles due to booking in economy.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
Right, so this doesn't seem as bad a change for elites as it will be for non-elites. High level elites can effectively book in first class assuming U space is available and save some coin, albeit lose some qualifying miles due to booking in economy.
The bolded part above - that's the kicker. On the desirable routes, the instant-upgrade-post-purchase for elites is not always available.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HikerT
assuming U space is available
...and that's the key. Based on my buying history, this renders it useless for transcons but still leaves Hawaii possible if you're flexible or willing to connect. So still worth a few hundred if you can make it work in F...or potentially even more if you're starting or ending in Alaska.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:58 pm

I agree that requiring U space makes the companion ticket less useful for elites but wouldn't say it makes it useless. As far as transcons, my experience is transcon FC fares are usually too high to justify using companion tickets, so not much of a loss there. I'd burn 2x45K US miles to fly SEA-PHL in FC before I'd use a companion ticket which would require ~$1700 if booked in FC. Hawaii and Mexico are the more compelling options because the FC fares are less and the awards are more expensive.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:11 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My wife has been urging me for years to cut this last remaining tether to the B of A, but I've repeatedly held out our annual FC trip to New York as the carrot. As for getting upgrade space on AS to the east coast, har de har har, as my dead old mother used to say. So another credit card bites the dust, selah.

ETA - has anyone phoned B of A and asked to have their certificate date accelerated to July (mine is in December) in order to grandfather in one last trip? Outcome? I plan to do so tomorrow, under threat of immediate cancellation. Not sure if B of A can even do it, but asking is free.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
What a shame. Used the First class ticket option to Hawaii a number of times and enjoyed the service. It would have been better to offer something in between maybe a tier companion ticket option of $250 to $500 for the first class ticket companion.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question

Can you use miles to upgrade a companion fare in coach?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Missy goes on vaca....

And while she's gone, all heck breaks loose.

No more vacations!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Still a top notch card for cheap companion

I'm a flyer that splits my 200k miles between AS and DL. This card IMO is still a great card to fly to mid or transcon flights that tend to be $300+. It's still much better than the DL Gold AMEX as well because only the primary flier gets mileage credit. Secondly, reading all the posts and finding out how many people were using this for outright F seats has made me excited to have more space available in F as an upgraded 75k.

Also, any people looking to rid themselves of their companion pass?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Smeadcw
I'm a flyer that splits my 200k miles between AS and DL. This card IMO is still a great card to fly to mid or transcon flights that tend to be $300+. It's still much better than the DL Gold AMEX as well because only the primary flier gets mileage credit. Secondly, reading all the posts and finding out how many people were using this for outright F seats has made me excited to have more space available in F as an upgraded 75k.

Also, any people looking to rid themselves of their companion pass?
Yes this may increase upgrades for AS elites as its freeing up F space- however I doubt more F will be purchased as a result decreasing revenue for AS. I have been very close to booking F before and have helped other members book F too (convinced based on value etc) but no longer... And I'll probably keep my card for now but might not use it at all except for companion cert- (already switched non AS spending to SPG AMEX a year ago) but that's another thread.

Sad to see this devaluation- the slippery slope has turned into a waterslide
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Itan2Much
This is strictly an Alaska Airlines decision and not BofA. I'm sure BofA is going to be "upset" at the number of cancelled cards they will be receiving. Alaska certainly hasn't thought this out. My wife and I are MVPs and fly at least 3-4 R/Ts from Hawaii each year. Even with the companion fare First Class option, we spend at least $6-8,000/year on Alaska Airlines. We switched our loyalty from Hawaiian Airlines to Alaska because of the companion fare and will most likely go back to Hawaiian. Hawaiians First Class experience is so much better than Alaska's . . . and, now that the price of a FC ticket on Hawaiian has come down to around Alaska's, it's a moot point.

If you would like to express your concerns to Alaska Airlines, you can email Caroline Boren, Managing Director, Loyalty Marketing and Cusomer Advocacy, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan.

[Moderator note: email address removed for spam prevention, but Alaska Airlines email addresses are in the format of [email protected]]

I suggested they keep the option, but raise the price of the First Class companion fare option to maybe $199 (or, even $299. It would still be a great deal). The more opposition and emails the she gets and her committee, the better chance we as "riders" have of them changing their minds. The power of many can be significant. Don't do nothing . . . email her today!
Already had, along with Rick Rasmussen and Ray Prentice (who are good folk, as is Caroline, but the more ammo these folks have to forward to others, the better -- as long as it's polite and specific). Great suggestion for those who don't know the players.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
San Juan, Puerto Rico? Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can't use the discount to fly to San Juan.
I was using it as a price comparison... I am getting 4440 EQMs each way on Delta though ^_^
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Again...I agree that the changes are negative.

My point is this - I don't know where your travel is based from or if you always buy first class...or really what your travel patterns are.

But...for ANYONE who will even once per year fly with anyone else on AS metal on an itinerary that costs, say $250+, they would come out ahead by keeping this card and using it even if only for that purchase.
You're exactly right and AS knows it, which is why I will not drop the card despite all the recent changes. Companion fares in coach are not just an excellent deal from Alaska...have you seen fares from PDX? I just used a companion fare PDX-PHL for coach, where the first ticket was $701, meaning the companion ticket saved me roughly $550. Of course, AS's fares were about $150 more than the competition, but that's still $250 ahead, less the $75 annual fee...no other card would get me that kind of value off of one single purchase.

An upcoming trip to LIH next winter will net me about $600. In that case, AS's fares are more competitive, meaning I'm really getting the full value since there isn't any cheaper competition.

I think they've done their homework and know that they're leaving enough on the table to keep the card a positive value for most consumers.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by czpdx
You're exactly right and AS knows it, which is why I will not drop the card despite all the recent changes. Companion fares in coach are not just an excellent deal from Alaska...have you seen fares from PDX? I just used a companion fare PDX-PHL for coach, where the first ticket was $701, meaning the companion ticket saved me roughly $550. Of course, AS's fares were about $150 more than the competition, but that's still $250 ahead, less the $75 annual fee...no other card would get me that kind of value off of one single purchase.

An upcoming trip to LIH next winter will net me about $600. In that case, AS's fares are more competitive, meaning I'm really getting the full value since there isn't any cheaper competition.

I think they've done their homework and know that they're leaving enough on the table to keep the card a positive value for most consumers.
Another possibility is that they are preparing to release a higher end card than the current AS Signature Visa. DL only allows Coach on its companion ticket for their Gold Amex (75 USD per year) , Coach and First for the DL Reserve Card (450 USD per year). They do have fare restrictions on both (basically only the cheapest fares on Coach and only Expensive fares in First).
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Smeadcw
Secondly, reading all the posts and finding out how many people were using this for outright F seats has made me excited to have more space available in F as an upgraded 75k.

Lack of First Class seats is a problem for Elite members.

Of course, that is my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.