Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maokh
Alaska has figured out quite a while ago that they can fill long haul first cabins (especially to hawaii) with paid first class.

I bet the award levels for first class will probably go up too.
Over what it costs to get into DL or AA's F cabins? I doubt it. If they all go up as a group, sure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
These changes make the Alaska BA cards in the state more like the USAirways BA cards. I have both since I'm based in Phoenix.

My wife and I use the companion tickets for one of three trips we make -- Victoria, Portland, or Kona. Typically we make two of these trips a year. I really liked the 1st class companion ticket -- didn't always use it as the only flight it was REALLY nice for was the flights to Kona (from either Oakland or Portland). This year we doubled up -- flying to Kona via Portland and using a pair of the companion tickets to visit with friends in Portland before and after our trip to Kona. Later this month we're going to Victoria (Phoenix/Seattle/Victoria) using the companion tickets.

We actually doubled up Business and Regular B of A cards for both of us -- mostly for the mileage promotion and the extra companion tickets.

So for us, the first thing we'll do is drop the Business card prior to renewal. We will still keep the regular cards since we are willing to fly plebian and the two companion fares are worth it.

Note that the no new 1st class useable coupons not only does not apply to existing coupons, but if you have those coupons you can buy tickets near the expiration date for flights up to 11 months later. We still have a coupon that doesn't expire until next March -- we'll use that for flights up to Victoria next summer I suspect.

At least I doubt they cancel use for the Hawaii flights -- those flights from any airline run close to $1K round trip and do make the credit card worth it as long as you can live with coach for the flight. That is a major reason for me to keep the card. That plus accumulating miles to get a major trip for 2014.
You're similarly situated as the wife and me. We have the regular and business card. Will you replace the business card with another or use the regular one for both purposes?

If you have status with AS, at least you have a decent shot at exit row seating in Y. That increases the tolerability if you can't score an F upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:50 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by johnp012001
What's the $50 in taxes?

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The $110 is the $99 plus tax. What's the extra $50 tax he added in?
PFCs, 9/11 security tax, segment tax [$3.80 per takeoff+landing], gateway tax [HI/AK], Customs tax [Mexico], etc.

The $110 only includes Excise tax based on $99. A simple DCA-SJC roundtrip search in October [which AS wants me to pay $833 for two people in Y] shows the companion total will be $106.43 then there is a separate line item for an additional $86.40 in taxes and fees for both passengers.
Code:
                        Fare Taxes & Fees Charges 
Airfare for Traveler 1:  $641.00 $43.20 $684.20 
Airfare for Companion:  $106.43 $43.20 $149.63 
Total Due Now:  $833.83
So the companion is $99+Excise tax [$106.43] then another $43.20 in taxes on top of the $106 for a total of $149.63.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Reply from AS to my email to Caroline Boren

Dear Mr. dave1013,

We appreciate that you took the time to contact Caroline Boren with regard to our upcoming changes to our Alaska Airlines Bank of America credit cards. Caroline has asked that I respond to you on her behalf.

The changes to the credit card program benefits were aimed at maintaining the program's viability while also protecting what we felt were the most important components of the value that it offers to cardholders like yourself.

It has been many years since we have made significant changes to our credit card benefits and we were finding it increasingly challenging to not modify the features and benefits in today’s economy, and with the growth of our airline into markets across the country and across the Pacific to Hawaii.

I know you mentioned canceling your Bank of America card. (Note: nowhere in my email did I mention canceling my card - which leads me to believe (1) this is a canned response and (2) unlike the baggage fee for upgraders reconsideration, there's no turning back on this change) I wanted to share with you that we still offer unsurpassed value among comparable airline and travel rewards cards, including: top mileage earn rates for everyday purchases and Alaska Airlines purchases; a companion certificate that can used everywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico; an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders; and the ability to redeem miles on Alaska Airlines and our 15 airline partners.

Mr. dave1013, thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your business and thank you for being a Mileage Plan and Gold member with us since 1987. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you on board an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Warm Regards,

"Jane Doe"
Customer Care Manager

Last edited by dave1013; Jul 10, 2012 at 9:58 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 am

Funny I was in the Factoria BofA branch yesterday, all the staff was wearing Alaska Visa Polo Shirts..."Sign-up for our (reduced) benefit Alaska Visa Card today!"...urgh

I am sure a deep and through ROI analysis was done by ASA/BA, but the perks for flying Alaska are now pretty thin. I have switched to UAL and will be dropping the Visa after using my current comp. certificate.

AS Perks Gone...
- Unrestricted AS50 award
- 2 Free BoardRoom Passes (Visa)
- Mileage Upgrade on Any fare class
- Ability to standby/confirm for true 24 hours (not same day only)
- Visa Companion fare on First Class
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Flew PDX-ANC last night and anxiously awaited the sales show. When it began I listened carefully. There was no mention of the 1000 mile booking bonus and when the $110 companion fare came up there was no mention of it being valid for F, nor did they state it was coach only. Just $110 plus taxes to wherever AS flies.

After cooling off a bit, my wife an I will probably keep ours, for now. But when they eliminate the companion earning miles and limit travel to the 48 contiguous states (a la DL Skymiles Amex card) we'll bail on them.

It just slays me how AS has (had) found a formula to profitability and rather than build upon that, they are stripping away, one by one, the very perks that make them unique and bring in business, my business anyway. When they become just another DL/AA/UA bland mass transit carrier then who cares what airline you fly. It will all come down to price.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Boiler plate email to all who've responded

Originally Posted by dave1013
Dear Mr. dave1013,

We appreciate that you took the time to contact Caroline Boren with regard to our upcoming changes to our Alaska Airlines Bank of America credit cards. Caroline has asked that I respond to you on her behalf.

The changes to the credit card program benefits were aimed at maintaining the program's viability while also protecting what we felt were the most important components of the value that it offers to cardholders like yourself.

It has been many years since we have made significant changes to our credit card benefits and we were finding it increasingly challenging to not modify the features and benefits in today’s economy, and with the growth of our airline into markets across the country and across the Pacific to Hawaii.

I know you mentioned canceling your Bank of America card. (Note: nowhere in my email did I mention canceling my card - which leads me to believe (1) this is a canned response and (2) unlike the baggage fee for upgraders reconsideration, there's no turning back on this change) I wanted to share with you that we still offer unsurpassed value among comparable airline and travel rewards cards, including: top mileage earn rates for everyday purchases and Alaska Airlines purchases; a companion certificate that can used everywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico; an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders; and the ability to redeem miles on Alaska Airlines and our 15 airline partners.

Mr. dave1013, thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your business and thank you for being a Mileage Plan and Gold member with us since 1987. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you on board an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Warm Regards,

"Jane Doe"
Customer Care Manager
I just received the exact same email. Word for word but for I've been w/them since 1986. I also received 2 letters from Caroline yesterday at my office w/regard to the changes to my two business cards. Alaska has spent a lot of $ in postage and in people hours to change this policy and I fear the only way they will reverse course is if they, like Netflix before it, discovers it was a dumb corporate move-which it is. I am going to close all 4 of our Alaska VISA accounts and Alaska can kiss my full fare first class payment for the privilege of buying a companion ticket good bye. That was worth $5,000 last month alone. That money will be going to another carrier. The SOLE reason I am doing this is the change to the companion certificate to coach only. The rest of the changes are bad but not deal busters.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
It just slays me how AS has (had) found a formula to profitability and rather than build upon that, they are stripping away, one by one, the very perks that make them unique and bring in business, my business anyway. When they become just another DL/AA/UA bland mass transit carrier then who cares what airline you fly. It will all come down to price.
I would disagree that the benefits being eliminated made AS unique to the vast majority of customers or were part of the formula for AS' profitability and success.

Loosing anybenefit sucks. However, the business and competitive environment is constantly changing. AS has to continually adapt in order to fulfill its long-term obligations to its shareholders and employees. If this means eliminating a benefit, I'd rather have them focus on changes that impact the smallest number of customers possible, even if it outrages the frequent and valuable customers on FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
"an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders;"

What is this in regards to existing cardholders (and what are premium cards?). I've got the Signature Visa and got the BR passes when I first signed up, but nothing on my renewal.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:11 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
"an enhanced lounge benefit for both new and existing premium cardholders;"

What is this in regards to existing cardholders (and what are premium cards?). I've got the Signature Visa and got the BR passes when I first signed up, but nothing on my renewal.
Curious to know what they're referring to here as well. There's no mention of any type of lounge benefit on the Visa signup page. The only thing I've ever gotten was 2 BR day passes when I first signed up, but this is not an annual benefit.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dave1013
Dear Mr. dave1013,

Warm Regards,

"Jane Doe"
Customer Care Manager
I got the same exact email word for word too
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
It just slays me how AS has (had) found a formula to profitability and rather than build upon that, they are stripping away, one by one, the very perks that make them unique and bring in business, my business anyway.
That's what you get when you have an accountant running the place....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ANC
just curious what sales pitch are FAs currently giving onboard? If they are still touting that you can get an annual companion fare good for any fare including first class ticket (just because if you get it from now until August thats what you get "once" the first time only) they are using deceit and possibly fraud to get people to sign up. They are about out of perks to promote that you cant find elsewhere
The way courts have been ruling these days, what a company advertises is irrelevant because the contract overrides everything else.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Flew PDX-ANC last night and anxiously awaited the sales show. When it began I listened carefully. There was no mention of the 1000 mile booking bonus and when the $110 companion fare came up there was no mention of it being valid for F, nor did they state it was coach only. Just $110 plus taxes to wherever AS flies...
And I'll bet they didn't even mention the annual fee, did they? I've never once heard them mention it. I want to ask them why they leave out that important piece of information but I don't because I realize they're just saying what their company tells them to say. I guess it's buyer beware.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

For those who have cancelled your card, are you getting a prorated refund of the annual fee? It would seem reasonable since they are pulling other benefits (1000 mile bonus) that the annual fee presumably pays for.

Edit: to answer my own question. I just called to cancel my business card and they refunded the full fee which I had paid in May. Be sure to ask for a refund of your fee if you cancel.

Last edited by HikerT; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.