Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Wake up folks: You can't expect to get anything other than a canned response if everyone is voicing the same complaint. Front-line staff at any business will state a FAQ-like response if the complaint is similar. That's how first-line customer service works, and there are many good reasons for it.

While it makes me cranky that the 1K online booking bonus is gone, it makes sense if I take a step back. It's a relic. It was created in a time when it was unusual to book on the web. Now, you're penalized if you don't. So while I benefited from the bonus, I can't argue with the fact that the original reason for the incentive no longer exists.

I don't like the loss of the first class use of the companion certificate, but I only used mine once that way.

So in the grand scheme of things, the reduction in benefits is not huge. It's annoying. But it's not huge.

What's more significant to me is the crappy BofA customer service, and that's a BofA problem, not an AS problem. And it's why I still plan to cancel my cards as soon as I can can get replacements in place at BECU. I simply don't believe any BofA promises, if there are any, to make that part of the experience better.
I do not mean to come off as defensive but feel the need to provide some feedback to the bolded comments above.

You offer up a unique insight on the 1,000 mile online booking bonus. But while you're taking a step back on that, consider all the changes that have happened in the past few years (AS has truly transformed itself). I refer back to my boiled-frog parable. I imagine AS felt they had to all the cuts and changes to survive. In any event, they are a completely different airline now and I would argue that, considered in their totality, the scope of changes in benefits is huge. Reality sucks.

When you say that the loss of the companion F ticket is not a big deal, you project your values over the rest of us. That one change will preclude me, as a person who doesn't fly quite as much as I used to, from accruing a 50% EQM bonus. The answer to that might be, "use the companion code to buy a Y ticket and you'll still get a 25% bonus." Point taken. It's left to me to decide if it's worth buying Y with the companion code. The 50% windfall was what I valued most about the companion code and it's doubtful I'm the only one who feels that way.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What you say is partially correct. The 1K for any online purchase is a relic. The 1K for using the branded credit card is a an additional $ incentive for AS.
How do you figure it is and additional cash incentive for AS? If that were the case, why would they get rid of it?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by johnp012001
How do you figure it is and additional cash incentive for AS? If that were the case, why would they get rid of it?
It makes us more likely to use our AS Visa for AS flight purchases. That is the cash incentive. If we use the Podunk Visa, AS doesn't make any $, and it has a transaction fee.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave1013
The 50% windfall was what I valued most about the companion code and it's doubtful I'm the only one who feels that way.
That is a big deal to me.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
Another new restriction from the AS website:

"Valid for round-trip or one-way travel. Multiple stopovers not allowed."

and when shopping for a two city stopover I got:

"The Discount Code entered is valid for round-trip or one-way travel, however the itinerary selected exceeds the maximum stopovers. Clear all selections to choose other flight options."

Shuts down a lot of options
I believe that is going to be a material stab for at least a few posters here. On the other hand, they might as well just stick the knife in hard and twist it around, all at once.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Just so I'm clear on this: does it mean no more open-jaw itineraries for a companion code ticket?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just so I'm clear on this: does it mean no more open-jaw itineraries for a companion code ticket?
Well this is all interesting because if it isn't a "computer glitch or typo" (the excuse for changes that aren't spelled out on a cave wall) it means there has been a material change to the T&C / validity of the discount codes that were already issued, during the period of their validity.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Apparently not. I just did a dummy booking ANC-SAT and MCO-ANC and it priced it out all the wat to the payment screen, so open jaws are still available.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
Apparently not. I just did a dummy booking ANC-SAT and MCO-ANC and it priced it out all the wat to the payment screen, so open jaws are still available.
But two city stopovers that used to be allowed, are no longer allowed?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
But two city stopovers that used to be allowed, are no longer allowed?
Nope
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I do not mean to come off as defensive but feel the need to provide some feedback to the bolded comments above.

When you say that the loss of the companion F ticket is not a big deal, you project your values over the rest of us.
I didn't say it was "not a big deal." I said, "I don't like the loss of the first class use of the companion certificate, but I only used mine once that way."

Any comments I made about reduction in benefits was limited to my perception of the credit card benefit changes alone. I don't claim to speak for anyone else and this is, after all, a discussion forum in which perspectives are freely shared.

I suspect you may be projecting your disappointment, which is - considering how you used the card - understandable.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Jul 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm Reason: it IS a discussion forum, after all
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:36 pm
Suspended

It makes us more likely to use our AS Visa for AS flight purchases. That is the cash incentive. If we use the Podunk Visa, AS doesn't make any $, and it has a transaction fee.
Why would AS get a cash incentive for ticket purchases with AS Visa over other cards? Are you talking about the additional miles BoA awards?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I didn't say it was "not a big deal." I said, "I don't like the loss of the first class use of the companion certificate, but I only used mine once that way."

Any comments I made about reduction in benefits was limited to my perception of the credit card benefit changes alone. I don't claim to speak for anyone else and this is, after all, a discussion forum in which perspectives are freely shared.

I suspect you may be projecting your disappointment, which is - considering how you used the card - understandable.
You are right, I am disappointed. That said, I am choosing not to give up the card (at this time). I still think there is value in the companion fare program. But that is subject to change if and when future cuts come along.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sxf24
Why would AS get a cash incentive for ticket purchases with AS Visa over other cards? Are you talking about the additional miles BoA awards?
BoA has to buy the miles from somewhere. AFAIK, the only source is AS.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dgreen12
BoA has to buy the miles from somewhere. AFAIK, the only source is AS.
I would be surprised if the additional sale of miles exceeded the cost of providing the bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.