Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
If you are flying on AS on the 30th, let us know what the FA's say about First Class and the companion certs on that day, since it will be physically impossible to send an application and have it received by the deadline.
If you turn it in to the FA its considered received so actually it is possible.

If I'm flying AS its because DL didn't open up any award seats from Atl and I'm nonrevving after a 10 hour redeye and a 10 hour layover. If I'm coherent at that point I'll listen for the announcement
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly is the Chase Sapphire card? Is it an Amex, MC, Visa? I can't tell from looking at the website. I'm keeping my AS Visa (for now) because it is a Visa...for those places that don't take Amex. How does the Chase Sapphire fit in?

I cancelled my Starwood Amex because they raised the fee after my first year from $35 to $65. I now have a Hilton Amex. NO fee, for now.

I like to have cards that will be taken anywhere - my primary is my Hilton Amex, but if I'm to get rid of my AS Visa, what "Visa/and or MC" would you all recommend?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
[QUOTE=I Love to Travel;18948195
While I can still use them for FC, I hadn't expected to see any "changes" to my current certificates. They added the reference to the "coach class only" after 7/31/12. In other words, I expected the T&C's to be worded exactly the same as when first issued. I don't recall the loss of certificate being there before if one makes flight changes. If it was part of the T&C's when certificate was issued, then that was the rule for this certificate. But, if it wasn't indicated, then this tells me that they can change the T&Cs on these certificates after they have been issued anytime they want.[/QUOTE]

IMHO, this is probably due to their content management system not doing a great job of discerning between two categories (before and after) of terms and conditions and just replaces information from the old with new.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly is the Chase Sapphire card? Is it an Amex, MC, Visa? I can't tell from looking at the website. I'm keeping my AS Visa (for now) because it is a Visa...for those places that don't take Amex. How does the Chase Sapphire fit in?
It can be Visa or Mastercard, but the default is Visa.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
IMHO, this is probably due to their content management system not doing a great job of discerning between two categories (before and after) of terms and conditions and just replaces information from the old with new.
IMHO it has nothing to do with the content management system. They added that to clarify how the new rule applies.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

I cancelled my Starwood Amex because they raised the fee after my first year from $35 to $65. I now have a Hilton Amex. NO fee, for now.

I like to have cards that will be taken anywhere - my primary is my Hilton Amex, but if I'm to get rid of my AS Visa, what "Visa/and or MC" would you all recommend?
Mine is a Visa Signature and I recently combined it with the MileagePlus Explorer Card which is a Visa as well. I like the earning capabilities of the Sapphire Preferred coupled with the UA benefits I get with the Explorer (without paying for their more expensive cards). With the Sapphire you can transfer your points to a number of airline FF programs such as BA and UA. Combined with an AMEX card, bases are covered.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Applications received before August 1 will get the existing companion cert which is valid for F fares. So the FA's announcement was correct.
Will this be true for current cardholders who are renewing this month?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Still on vaca til July 30. Just came to check my haiku thread
No, you don't want to check on that at all. You've got a great entry already.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by SFore
Will this be true for current cardholders who are renewing this month?
If your new cert is issued before August 1, then yes. Your annual cert should be issued right around the same time of year as your last one.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
On AS 61 today, the FA gave the Signature Card sales pitch and added "the $110 companion ticket is good anywhere Alaska Airlines flies, and can even be redeemed for a first class ticket".

No - I'm not making this up.
Heard it too, exactly the same way, on Sunday on QX PDX-BIL.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Well, Alaska management has certainly created a PR nightmare with this one. Twenty-one pages of posts and still going. Do they ignore it and hope it goes away or do they attempt to rectify it? Stay tuned
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Well, Alaska management has certainly created a PR nightmare with this one. Twenty-one pages of posts and still going. Do they ignore it and hope it goes away or do they attempt to rectify it? Stay tuned
I am guessing IGNORE
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Bottom line is, as a MVPG married to a MVP, this whole thing sucks! I spend a ton of money flying around the west coast and choose Alaska for selfish reasons; Yeah a bit bigger first class seat and a few (yuck) "meals" along with drinks but reality is the seat isn't great, in fact a lot of times my back hurts afterwards , the food really sucks most of the time, and the drinks...well not really worth an upgraded (paid thank you) or first class price I often pay. I get the Visa card to accrue the miles AND use the companion pass to take a (reduced) first class flight to Hawaii when I can. You take this away and what's left? Really not a heck of a lot more than I get on Southwest...Except for now they don't fly to Hawaii. Come On Alaska... WAKE UP!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
I am guessing IGNORE
My guess is they don't give a rip. They have done their math and decided their upside far outweighs ticking off their FF pax.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

I think clarity is a great excuse, but the two certs have different rules as they are different beasts. Keep the t&c separate for pre v post aug 1 issuance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.