Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes they did, and BofA probably forced AS to do it on their behalf since this was AS's decision.

Problem here is AS failed to meet (on behalf of BofA, where BOA is still accountable as the financial institution managing the terms/conditions of the card) the minimum notice requirement.
While the letter was "from" AS, the notice was produced and sent by BoA.

It is under the CARD law [Credit Card Act] that was passed into legislation in 2009 and began full enforcement in Feb 2010..

"Must notify a customer 45 days before making a major change to the terms of a credit card contract."
Are you attempting to argue that changing one aspect of an ancillary benefit is a major change in line with the card's APR, billing cycle, or other characteristic that impacts every transaction?

We all get the change sucks, but let's not stretch too far...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
from what I understand it's 98%.
I wonder if that's 98% of Cardholders, or 98% of cards issued, since the Cardholders that use the cert for F seem far more likely to hold multiple accounts!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:23 am

It is under the CARD law [Credit Card Act] that was passed into legislation in 2009 and began full enforcement in Feb 2010..

"Must notify a customer 45 days before making a major change to the terms of a credit card contract."

http://www.responsiblelending.org/cr...-Don-t-Do.html

However for the business card the banks still can:

"Arbitrarily change any or all terms for credit cards issued to small businesses."

I am busy moving into a new apartment to actually read the actual CARD legislation, but I can do that tomorrow night.

ETA: the Federal Reserve is better.

"When they plan to increase your rate or other fees. Your credit card company must send you a notice 45 days before they can

increase your interest rate;

change certain fees (such as annual fees, cash advance fees, and late fees) that apply to your account; or

make other significant changes to the terms of your card.

If your credit card company is going to make changes to the terms of your card, it must give you the option to cancel the card before certain fee increases take effect. If you take that option, however, your credit card company may close your account and increase your monthly payment, subject to certain limitations.

For example, they can require you to pay the balance off in five years, or they can double the percentage of your balance used to calculate your minimum payment (which will result in faster repayment than under the terms of your account).

The company does not have to send you a 45-day advance notice if

you have a variable interest rate tied to an index;

if the index goes up, the company does not have to provide notice before your rate goes up;

your introductory rate expires and reverts to the previously disclosed "go-to" rate;

your rate increases because you are in a workout agreement and you haven’t made your payments as agreed."

IMO, the change in this benefit is a significant change in the Credit Card terms.

ETA2: let me clarify my position here.

Do I want to attempt to start a lawsuit? No. It is not my thing and this is one thing I despite about our society. The way to go is to just cancel the card and move on. If someone is concerned about their credit score, the primary drivers are credit utilization and responsibility (do not let your balances balloon over 20% for more than 30 days, pay the bills on time, etc). So, sign up for a new credit card then cancel the AS card, your credit will take a slight hit, but you will get back within a few months.

My biggest irk about the whole thing is the hawking of the benefit while fully aware the benefit will go away in less than 45 days. It is just not how I think businesses should behave (I know they are trying to maximize any potential sign up leads), and I think the right thing to do is to either promote this benefit while informing the customers that they have until July 31st before the first class companion certificate changes to coach only and put that notice in the credit card applications. That way they can show reasonable diligence that they are ensuring customers are aware of the change before making a decision. Another way to do this is to send a notice to current cardholders in late May or early June about the change to give them reasonable time to decide before the annual fee is due and yank this benefit from all new applications on June 1st. That way the 45 days notice becomes a non issue and everybody has reasonable advance notice.

If someone wants to press this issue further, follow the link below:

https://appsec.helpwithmybank.gov/olcc_form/
The "make other significant changes to your account" is a sub-bullet under the bullet of "When they plan to increase your rate or other fees. Your credit card company must send you a notice 45 days before they can:", and the bolding is THEIRS not mine! While you clearly emphatically feel this is a significant change, it's not what the CARD act was designed to protect consumers from.

The CARD act was enacted to regulate the cost of credit, not the benefits that come with it. If you were litigious, I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find an attorney that would take this case on a contingent basis!

Last edited by johnp012001; Jul 29, 2012 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jackal
I and another FTer just did a check of our activity and it seems the companion certs are deposited 2-4 days after the annual fee posts. With luck you'll get it before the cut-off.
You were correct --- his companion cert posted this morning.

His cancellation of the card will be deferred by one year.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:33 pm

Actually, there is no reason to defer cancellation unless you want the other card benefits. You keep the certificate even if you cancel and get the annual fee refunded. BTW, my cert just posted today. Time to cancel. ^
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Applications received before August 1 will get the existing companion cert which is valid for F fares. So the FA's announcement was correct.
Our Lady In Buenos Aires was correct, too.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yipee. Posted today.

My coupon also posted today giving me until July 30 2013 to use w/ FC fares.

The CC rep I spoke to last week told me it would come after August 1st....
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I just got my cert today -- talk about under the wire. So I have two of these to work with -- one which expires in March -- think we'll use that for a trip in December 2013 to Hawaii and one which expires next July -- not sure what we'll do for that -- but I'm sure we'll think of something.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by johnp012001
I wonder if that's 98% of Cardholders, or 98% of cards issued, since the Cardholders that use the cert for F seem far more likely to hold multiple accounts!
I have to imagine it's cards issued, in which case it would make the number of individuals affected even smaller since, as you said, a number of cardholders that to do use the cert for F hold multiple cards.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have to imagine it's cards issued, in which case it would make the number of individuals affected even smaller since, as you said, a number of cardholders that to do use the cert for F hold multiple cards.
I had two cards, not for multiple certs (occasionally I wasn't able to use both in a year), but to separate kinds of spending. I've decided to keep one until I closer to the renewal date to see if anything improves in BofA customer service.

I canceled the other one yesterday. BofA didn't even ask for a reason.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
from what I understand it's 98%.
if 98% (and I think this is about right) were using the companion certificates to fly in coach, why did Alaska destroy its relationship with the 2% who were the most dedicated, loyal customers-who willingly paid at least one full fare first class seat every time they used a companion certificate-and who often had 2 or more VISA cards through B of A. This is the very worst kind of corporate decision. Bad for the consumer, the airline and the bank. I'm done. Canceling my 4 B of A cards this week and shifting all of my credit card business, consumer and business to Starwood Preferred AMEX where for 20k in spending, I could realize 25k Alaska miles (or a bunch of other carriers) and save $ w/its lower annual fee. This is a real pity. Alaska needs to reverse this decision.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
if 98% (and I think this is about right) were using the companion certificates to fly in coach, why did Alaska destroy its relationship with the 2% who were the most dedicated, loyal customers-who willingly paid at least one full fare first class seat every time they used a companion certificate-and who often had 2 or more VISA cards through B of A. This is the very worst kind of corporate decision. Bad for the consumer, the airline and the bank. I'm done. Canceling my 4 B of A cards this week and shifting all of my credit card business, consumer and business to Starwood Preferred AMEX where for 20k in spending, I could realize 25k Alaska miles (or a bunch of other carriers) and save $ w/its lower annual fee. This is a real pity. Alaska needs to reverse this decision.
If they are losing money due to that 2% it seems perfectly reasonable that they would want to put an end to it. While its too bad that it's gone, it was an amazing benefit. Even now there are no companion tickets that are even close to matching what they still can do.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
Dedicated, loyal customers, who willingly manipulated the system by applying for multiple cards so they could fly in full fare F for 45% off? Depriving AS of the ability to sell those seats at full fare, or utilize them to reward their best flyers who fly regularly paying market fares? Customers with multiple cards may be dedicated and loyal, since they were getting an incredible value, but are NOT their best customers.

I find it interesting that pages back I asked if anyone would be ok if they limited the companion fare to 2000 miles or less, to match the original value of the certificate before AS expanded it's route network, and only ONE person replied. Seems no one is interested in using these on the shorter routes they used to be valid on, but only on the long hauls that have been introduced since the certs inception. Seems AS would have done better to limit them when they started flying long haul routes, then we wouldn't be having this discussion!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Dedicated, loyal customers, who willingly manipulated the system by applying for multiple cards so they could fly in full fare F for 45% off? Depriving AS of the ability to sell those seats at full fare, or utilize them to reward their best flyers who fly regularly paying market fares? Customers with multiple cards may be dedicated and loyal, since they were getting an incredible value, but are NOT their best customers.

I find it interesting that pages back I asked if anyone would be ok if they limited the companion fare to 2000 miles or less, to match the original value of the certificate before AS expanded it's route network, and only ONE person replied. Seems no one is interested in using these on the shorter routes they used to be valid on, but only on the long hauls that have been introduced since the certs inception. Seems AS would have done better to limit them when they started flying long haul routes, then we wouldn't be having this discussion!
Using the 2000 mile or less proposal would allow my wife and I to use the companion for a round-trip from Anchorage to SE Alaska. Since Seattle is the hub for many AS flights to and from Anchorage and it's a distance of around 1400 miles each way, you can see why the response wasn't very positive. Couldn't go to PDX either since its even further

I wouldn't mind paying a higher fee to use the companion for seats in F. If it is $110.00 in coach, charge a higher rate for a first class companion seat but at least make the option available.

Last edited by ChugiakAk; Aug 1, 2012 at 1:46 am
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
I wouldn't mind paying a higher fee to use the companion for seats in F. If it is $110.00 in coach, charge a higher rate for a first class companion seat but at least make the option available.
That is my thought too. If AS allowed a booking in F and only gave the value of the coach fare off they would have kept my card and $200K annual spend and my business. As it is, I have cancelled my card and have to burn thru my 350000 miles and then I am done. Still looking forward to my annual maui trip in Jan

Last edited by pdm134; Aug 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.