Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by david4455
Flew yesterday twice.... and on both flights the FA promoting the card offered the comp. cert for ANY fare on AS....mentioning " even first class"

This was yesterday August 1st.
The "powers that be" need to change the script, or remind "the non-powers that read" that the script has changed.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Flew yesterday twice.... and on both flights the FA promoting the card offered the comp. cert for ANY fare on AS....mentioning " even first class"

Can you, or anyone else that this happens to, please forward your flight numbers?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The "powers that be" need to change the script, or remind "the non-powers that read" that the script has changed.
The actual script never mentioned First Class. So anyone who added it on their own is probably just so used to saying it that old habits die hard.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

Well, I guess you COULD still use the Alaska Airlines VISA card for First Class ... if you purchase the entire ticket with it.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:41 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

yeah go figure
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Maybe it was reversed

Sadly I don't think it was...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
With all the discussion of changes in companion tickets, frequent flyer miles, and other aspects of the current state of the aviation industry, there's a new book out titled "Attention All Passengers" by William McGee that I just received in the mail (online book sellers have it). Plenty of discussion on current controversial business practices followed by the airlines. From just a cursory glance, it's not exactly complimentary to the airline industry including Alaska Airlines. Worth picking up for an interesting read that's bound to raise some eyebrows one way or the other.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
duly noted and apologize for the misinterpretation. I'm confused by the comment about "what you will be served in First Class". In fact, I went back to look at that thread and I don't even see it - was it removed?
Thank you for your very kind acknowledgment w/regard to the misinterpretation. I appreciate it.
The "what will be served in First Class" stream (now towards the bottom of page 2) will soon be overtaken by this thread in terms of comments and views, as will the thread on "soup" leaving very few streams w/this level of ongoing dialogue.
I think the reason for this kind of interest on this topic is the fact that Alaska has finally crossed the line and created a true deal buster for its customers-many of which are its high dollar customers.
Frequentflyer.com stated yesterday in its weekly email that this change had so diminished the value of the Alaska VISA card that only a huge and persistent outcry might cause Alaska to reverse its decision-and it doubted any reversal no matter what. I still hold out hope that the moderators and the Alaska representatives who monitor this site will report back to the powers that be that its customers-mediocre/good/the very best are uniformly furious and that Alaska should reverse course now, and with apologies before we all fly the coop. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
On my OAK-SEA flight today, when it came time to do the announcement about a really incredible credit card offer for free travel, they also said they would be giving gifts to current AS Visa cardholders. I believe they said they had someone on board from "Visa" and if you showed your AS Visa card you would get a special gift.

I didn't have my Visa card with me but the gift was a $5 Starbucks card. Everybody got excited about the giveaway.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Jeeves
On my OAK-SEA flight today, when it came time to do the announcement about a really incredible credit card offer for free travel, they also said they would be giving gifts to current AS Visa cardholders. I believe they said they had someone on board from "Visa" and if you showed your AS Visa card you would get a special gift.

I didn't have my Visa card with me but the gift was a $5 Starbucks card. Everybody got excited about the giveaway.
This seems to happen occasionally as a way of sparking interest in the card. I have seen BoA reps trolling through the C concourse in SEA offering $5 Starbucks cards to anyone who could produce an AS Visa, and once or twice in the SEA BR.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Jeeves

Originally Posted by baliktad
This seems to happen occasionally as a way of sparking interest in the card. I have seen BoA reps trolling through the C concourse in SEA offering $5 Starbucks cards to anyone who could produce an AS Visa, and once or twice in the SEA BR.
WOO and HOO What would that buy.................
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
1/2 a drink. Drip coffee refill was over 2.50 at *$... good grief!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
as the old Joni Mitchell song went "you don't know what you've got 'til its gone"

I called MVP today and suggested that AS should announce periodic promotions when, after registering, for a period( a month, a quarter, or whatever) you could get a 1 K bonus for each flight you book using your AS Visa.

I suggested they look at how many flights were booked online since they announced the end to the 1 K bonus as I suspected it started a flurry of "buy and get the bonus while you can" There is nothing like announcing something is going away to start people "hoarding"

Similarly I repeated my suggestion that they allow MVPGs to get F companion tickets and perhaps as it is another incentive to try to maintain MVPG (similar to the Hyatt cc deal which differs between Platinums and Diamonds)

I suggested that the ending of these two perks could do two things 1) drive the best customers away or 2) if handled right, encourage even better loyalty once people value the perk more having experienced the anxiety of have the perk/perks go away

She said they were good ideas , there is a mechanism in place for her to pass them, and that she would
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
Then don't take it. It's free for god sakes.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by thumbelina
I called MVP today and suggested that AS should announce periodic promotions when, after registering, for a period( a month, a quarter, or whatever) you could get a 1 K bonus for each flight you book using your AS Visa.

I suggested they look at how many flights were booked online since they announced the end to the 1 K bonus as I suspected it started a flurry of "buy and get the bonus while you can" There is nothing like announcing something is going away to start people "hoarding"

Similarly I repeated my suggestion that they allow MVPGs to get F companion tickets and perhaps as it is another incentive to try to maintain MVPG (similar to the Hyatt cc deal which differs between Platinums and Diamonds)

I suggested that the ending of these two perks could do two things 1) drive the best customers away or 2) if handled right, encourage even better loyalty once people value the perk more having experienced the anxiety of have the perk/perks go away

She said they were good ideas , there is a mechanism in place for her to pass them, and that she would
Alaska strips its card of all benefits and some are looking for crumbs as a negotiating tool. Alaska ran the table and it should reverse its new policies in their entirety.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
The problem that Alaska may find is that loyalty bought over years can be destroyed very quickly. Furthermore, when consumers gt angry with a company, they tend to patronize a different company even if all other factors are equal. So gutting your loyalty program to bring it in-line with other vendors can simply drive people to those other vendors even if they don't offer anything better.

Of course, if Alaska simply wants to compete on the lowest price and not worry about loyalty, it could just cut the loyalty program completely and join the ranks of Ryan and Spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.