Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Using the 2000 mile or less proposal would allow my wife and I to use the companion for a round-trip from Anchorage to SE Alaska. Since Seattle is the hub for many AS flights to and from Anchorage and it's a distance of around 1400 miles each way, you can see why the response wasn't very positive. Couldn't go to PDX either since its even further

I wouldn't mind paying a higher fee to use the companion for seats in F. If it is $110.00 in coach, charge a higher rate for a first class companion seat but at least make the option available.
Fair enough. So, how about some other number or restriction that limited it to the pre-transcon and Hawaii network.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Fair enough. So, how about some other number or restriction that limited it to the pre-transcon and Hawaii network.
Alaska sets up a program and piece by piece dismantles it, making it worthless to many. You want to negotiate how bad they screw you. Those who got multiple cards did not "manipulate" anything. I played by the rules Alaska established and of the 17 companion certificates I used, only one was transcontinental and only one was to Hawaii, so 15 of my usages were for trips that were less than 2,000 nautical miles. But that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that I paid: for 17 full fare first class seats, the $75 annual fee x 4, and between consumer and business purchases, my spend was about $200k annually. 17 first class seats and $5300 in annual VISA fees and commissions, makes B of A and Alaska a lot of money, and made me a contented customer. This is a lose-lose-lose change and as soon as my new cards show up, I'm out of here.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I think that could be a solution. Make the transcons and/or Hawaii available for companions but at a higher rate. They have two levels for the AS50 Money and Miles program when you can use fewer miles (10,000 vs 20,000) and get a different discount so why not apply a similar arrangement to the companion fare? Not sure what it could be but it's certainly better than all the controversy that the current change has caused.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by david4455
My coupon also posted today giving me until July 30 2013 to use w/ FC fares.

The CC rep I spoke to last week told me it would come after August 1st....
Me too! Thank goodness, I was checking daily for the last week and forgot to check yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised to find mine issued with the expiration of 7/31/2013. Well at least I'll have the card one more year...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Dedicated, loyal customers, who willingly manipulated the system by applying for multiple cards so they could fly in full fare F for 45% off? Depriving AS of the ability to sell those seats at full fare, or utilize them to reward their best flyers who fly regularly paying market fares? Customers with multiple cards may be dedicated and loyal, since they were getting an incredible value, but are NOT their best customers.

I find it interesting that pages back I asked if anyone would be ok if they limited the companion fare to 2000 miles or less, to match the original value of the certificate before AS expanded it's route network, and only ONE person replied. Seems no one is interested in using these on the shorter routes they used to be valid on, but only on the long hauls that have been introduced since the certs inception. Seems AS would have done better to limit them when they started flying long haul routes, then we wouldn't be having this discussion!
Cry me a mudflat! There was no system manipulation. AS knew for years that people were taking out multiple cards. There were no deprivations of the company being able to sell the seats at full fare. There was a use of a product sold to us on the T&C that were offered. Rewarding their best flyers who fly regularly paying regular market fares? Oh yes, this goes to those paying $300 and getting an upgrade to that "deprived" F seat.

How is someone with a pair of those companion tickets, giving AS $4K in a year just on those two fares a lesser customer than a customer who spends the same amount on 13 trips, needing to serve/upgrade/handle baggage/reservations/provide more miles for awards?

As far as a 2000 mile (or similar) limitation - we also all know that distance and airfares have no rational relation to each other.

People using the companion fares for F were getting a very good value, but it isn't like any sort of "incredible" value. Look at the product provided.

This, or any other airline, is never a victim. Their decision to keep the offer for years was as calculated as their decision to get rid of it. They pushed these cards, with its benefits like a dealer passing out filled syringes and booze at the halfway house.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
There was always a link to refer friends and FAMILY for a card, not sure how that was manipulating the system if they encouraged it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Cry me a mudflat! There was no system manipulation. AS knew for years that people were taking out multiple cards. There were no deprivations of the company being able to sell the seats at full fare. There was a use of a product sold to us on the T&C that were offered. Rewarding their best flyers who fly regularly paying regular market fares? Oh yes, this goes to those paying $300 and getting an upgrade to that "deprived" F seat.

How is someone with a pair of those companion tickets, giving AS $4K in a year just on those two fares a lesser customer than a customer who spends the same amount on 13 trips, needing to serve/upgrade/handle baggage/reservations/provide more miles for awards?

As far as a 2000 mile (or similar) limitation - we also all know that distance and airfares have no rational relation to each other.

People using the companion fares for F were getting a very good value, but it isn't like any sort of "incredible" value. Look at the product provided.

This, or any other airline, is never a victim. Their decision to keep the offer for years was as calculated as their decision to get rid of it. They pushed these cards, with its benefits like a dealer passing out filled syringes and booze at the halfway house.
Eastbay has it EXACTLY right. Alaska and B of A used to push the hell out of these cards. I have had both Alaska and B of A representatives tell me, wink wink, that I could and should have multiple cards for either me as an individual or for my business. They did it because it made them money! "Manipulation!" Yup; theirs for their business purposes.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Called B of A today and canceled my Signature card. I was asked if there was a reason, my reply was "the loss of benefits made the card unsustainable for me to keep."

My renewal would have been September, so no companion certificates that can be used in F would be issued.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by Alaska14k
Called B of A today and canceled my Signature card. I was asked if there was a reason, my reply was "the loss of benefits made the card unsustainable for me to keep."

My renewal would have been September, so no companion certificates that can be used in F would be issued.
Exactly correct, if you are not prepared to travel in coach you lose 100% of the benefit of the cc. Many of the heavy spenders fall in this category. Would be great if there were something for this group except a kick in the pants. Guess the million dollar spend I made in last 4 years means nothing to AS.

I hope they come to their senses, too late for me tho I have already left.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by pdm134
Exactly correct, if you are not prepared to travel in coach you lose 100% of the benefit of the cc. Many of the heavy spenders fall in this category. Would be great if there were something for this group except a kick in the pants. Guess the million dollar spend I made in last 4 years means nothing to AS.

I hope they come to their senses, too late for me tho I have already left.
what's 2.5% of million bucks to world beating companies like Alaska Airlines and B of A....
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Originally Posted by HikerT
Actually, there is no reason to defer cancellation unless you want the other card benefits. You keep the certificate even if you cancel and get the annual fee refunded. BTW, my cert just posted today. Time to cancel. ^
I did not know I could cancel and keep the certificate? Mine just posted and expect annual fee to post in next statement. So that's two of us cancelling!

The biggest reason - sure the changes to companion cert stink.....but really it's because I have never owned a cc that has had so many security breaches and cancellations by the bank (at least 6x) ...often without any notification. Many times I discovered my card was cancelled when I tried to us it on an AS flight! And this from a card I use maybe 1 or 2 x max a month and only held card for 4yrs.

I've had my Starwood AMEX since it's inception, ias my primary card I charge everything I can each month. During all those years, I've had only 1 breach, just a few months ago. I was proactively called and emailed. Immediately received replacement via fedex (not mail like BoA) card and AMEX even rolled my standing charges over to the new card without me even having to call the various companies. AMEX displayed customer service that I don't think BoA could even dream of.

Thank you BoA for making me realize how much I like AMEX and my starwood card!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
what's 2.5% of million bucks to world beating companies like Alaska Airlines and B of A....
oh for god sakes. "world beating companies?" Being a bit dramatic, no? I hardly think Alaska is a "world beating company". In the same way that you exercised your right to open several card accounts to use them all to purchase multiple First Class tickets, Alaska exercised their right to change the benefits of the card. It clearly was a move that didn't work for you - just as offering the F class benefit no longer worked for them. "world beating company"?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
oh for god sakes. "world beating companies?" Being a bit dramatic, no? I hardly think Alaska is a "world beating company". In the same way that you exercised your right to open several card accounts to use them all to purchase multiple First Class tickets, Alaska exercised their right to change the benefits of the card. It clearly was a move that didn't work for you - just as offering the F class benefit no longer worked for them. "world beating company"?
AS Flyer: as you pointed out before moving onto the discussion about "what you will be served in First Class", only 2% or less of those who used the B of A companion certificates used them for the F class benefit. Given that Alaska is about the 10th largest Airline in the Country and B of A missed out on bankruptcy by a hair and sells for about $7 a share, please understand the context of my characterizing them as "world beating companies". I appreciate that email/internet lacks tone and nuance. However, if you want to accuse me of something, go w/sarcasm as I was being sarcastic. These companies don't "beat" anybody. Just ask Jamie Dimon.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
AS Flyer: as you pointed out before moving onto the discussion about "what you will be served in First Class", only 2% or less of those who used the B of A companion certificates used them for the F class benefit. Given that Alaska is about the 10th largest Airline in the Country and B of A missed out on bankruptcy by a hair and sells for about $7 a share, please understand the context of my characterizing them as "world beating companies". I appreciate that email/internet lacks tone and nuance. However, if you want to accuse me of something, go w/sarcasm as I was being sarcastic. These companies don't "beat" anybody. Just ask Jamie Dimon.
duly noted and apologize for the misinterpretation. I'm confused by the comment about "what you will be served in First Class". In fact, I went back to look at that thread and I don't even see it - was it removed?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Still touting 1st class on flights

Flew yesterday twice.... and on both flights the FA promoting the card offered the comp. cert for ANY fare on AS....mentioning " even first class"

This was yesterday August 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.