Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks jackal, more good info. The company he consults for tells him to fly F, he just thought he'd be a nice guy and save them some money, but with the restrictions it doesn't make sense for him.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
An MVP can book a ticket in the Y, S, or H class (Full Flex or the top couple fare classes in the Value category) and--if U is available--instantly confirm to First Class.
There are a lot of fare classes and it does get confusing. The MVP instant-upgrade classes are actually Y/S/B.

If you're buying your own ticket on alaskaair.com, they do make it relatively easy to choose your upgrade instrument/method and identify qualifying fares without having to deal with specific fare classes. You only really need to know fare class details if you are booking elsewhere.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
There are a lot of fare classes and it does get confusing. The MVP instant-upgrade classes are actually Y/S/B.
Thanks for catching that.

Originally Posted by baliktad
If you're buying your own ticket on alaskaair.com, they do make it relatively easy to choose your upgrade instrument/method and identify qualifying fares without having to deal with specific fare classes. You only really need to know fare class details if you are booking elsewhere.
Indeed. Just select which upgrade classification you want to look for on the main search screen and it does the work for you. I have, however, started paying more attention to fare classes now that I fly UA, where fare classes matter.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
I left out the bit about MVP intentionally in the above post, but for an MVP traveler flying alone, there is a way to confirm an upgrade up front without paying the full F fare. An MVP can book a ticket in the Y, S, or B class (Full Flex or the top couple fare classes in the Value category)<snip>

The downsides of booking these versus the full First Class fare:
-No class-of-service mileage bonus (paid First Class comes with a 50% bonus on RDMs and EQMs)
This is breaking away from the topic at hand but one does earn a 25% bonus for Full Flex tickets now... not as good as 50% but better then nothing.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...nus-miles.aspx

Full Flex Economy Fares
Earn Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles on tickets purchased for travel in Full Flex (Y) class on flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines*. 25% Bonus on actual flight miles
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
This is breaking away from the topic at hand but one does earn a 25% bonus for Full Flex tickets now... not as good as 50% but better then nothing.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...nus-miles.aspx
Yes you do, but you may not on Y segments (booked in Y on 1 cabin planes) when you are on an F ticket. Hopefully they have fixed this issue.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:21 pm

I have a companion cert that is due to be issued July 27. What do you think the odds are issuance will be delayed to Aug 1?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

After reading through most, not all, my opinion is those who use the cc once a year to book a discounted first class flight don't have a leg to stand on. Those of us that fly regularly or often enough to attain at minimum VIP status gave a little more clout and gold or better can legitimately gripe about losing the benefit. It appears that the more frequent flyers subsidize the once a year first class and that my friends, sucks.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by HikerT
I have a companion cert that is due to be issued July 27. What do you think the odds are issuance will be delayed to Aug 1?
My other half has one due to be issued today. I'm keeping an eye on his account.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
After reading through most, not all, my opinion is those who use the cc once a year to book a discounted first class flight don't have a leg to stand on.
Why? Many of those people will be spending nearly $2K on their "once a year" flight, while some of us here will get MVPG status on a lot less than that (yet costing AS to fly said passengers on many flights).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
After reading through most, not all, my opinion is those who use the cc once a year to book a discounted first class flight don't have a leg to stand on. Those of us that fly regularly or often enough to attain at minimum VIP status gave a little more clout and gold or better can legitimately gripe about losing the benefit. It appears that the more frequent flyers subsidize the once a year first class and that my friends, sucks.
I understand that's the case: AS actually loses money on anyone who just gets the card to use the companion certificate in First (and, I would suspect, on some coach routes) and doesn't use it to charge purchases.

While the FlyerTalk membership is hardly likely to be representative of the flying public at large, it seems that kind of use isn't rare.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I understand that's the case: AS actually loses money on anyone who just gets the card to use the companion certificate in First (and, I would suspect, on some coach routes) and doesn't use it to charge purchases.

While the FlyerTalk membership is hardly likely to be representative of the flying public at large, it seems that kind of use isn't rare.
I agree FlyerTalk members are not representative but I doubt that kind of use is anything but rare. I have used my four B of A cards for the companion certificate and since I pay $300 in annual fees for them, I also charge everything in the world I can-both as a consumer and for my business-on these cards. B of A at 2.5 cents in "processing fees" for every dollar it charges (HEY! I want to have that business model as my own) it skims from sellers, is about to lose roughly $5,000 in VISA income when I close my accounts. I presume that B of A will be wiling to pay Alaska less $ for its purchase of Alaska's miles when the impact of this decision runs its course.

For a $65 annual fee, the Starwood Preferred AMEX gives me 25,000 Alaska airline miles for every 20,000 miles transferred out of it so that's where I'm going...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why? Many of those people will be spending nearly $2K on their "once a year" flight, while some of us here will get MVPG status on a lot less than that (yet costing AS to fly said passengers on many flights).
Exactly - the wife and I have forked out over $2,000 for a trip from Anchorage to Boston in October. Not exactly chump change. Could have gone coach for a cheaper rate but the extra spent avoids expensive bills at the chiropractor

On a regular basis, we both fly Alaska at least five times a year from Anchorage (usually on individual trips) so we truly appreciate the companion ticket perk when we have to go east to visit relative. We've also used on to upgrade my in-laws (in their 70s) on the reverse route. Makes things easier for them too.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dgreen12
My other half has one due to be issued today. I'm keeping an eye on his account.
Nothing was added to the account as of 5 pm today, we'll check again tomorrow.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm not sure how you think you all know "when" your certificates are supposed to post.

We first applied for and got our card at the end of last May. Got the certificate it seemed right away (never thought it would be something I needed to remember so didn't pay a lot of attention). Edited to say I now remember applying on board, and it was around May 17, and got an answer very quickly. So I thought my renewal this year would also be at the mid-end of May. No. Then I thought it would be when my statement closed in June. No. My certificate came just a couple of weeks ago, on or about July 13 (it expires July 13 of next year), a full year and almost 2 months from the time of the one last year.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not sure how you think you all know "when" your certificates are supposed to post.
They post the same time each year (give or take a week) for most of us- perhaps its different with your first one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.