Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have no idea. I do know my dates are pretty accurate (applied and approved in May of last year). In June I started a new thread (I don't know how to link a whole thread, I can just cut & paste the question I asked) because I was concerned it was the middle of June and the code had not shown up yet. It did finally show up in July. Whether that means my anniversary for the certificate will be July again next year I have no idea. That's why I was suprised that everyone had an idea when theirs would post.

Here is that thread I started last month, before all this drama happened:

Jun 13, 12, 11:05 am #1
Eujeanie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me it's now, and I haven't seen anything either in my AS account or by mail. Last year, when I first got the card, I got a certificate in the mail with a code number.

Should I expect the same or will it just come electronically - and when? I have my old tickets and they'd already been book by this date a year ago, so I know I had the cert for several days already.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Why? Many of those people spending nearly $2K on their "once a year" flight, while some of us here will get MVPG status on a lot less than that (yet costing AS to fly said passengers on many flights).[/QUOTE]
I have a hard time with those figures. Fly 40k miles for less than 2k? Really? That is some creative flying and despite your disagreeing with my statement, I still believe mvpg deserves has more reason to be peeved, especially if they are using that card as a primary cc.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
[QUOTE

Exactly - the wife and I have forked out over $2,000 for a trip from Anchorage to Boston in October. Not exactly chump change. Could have gone coach for a cheaper rate but the extra spent avoids expensive bills at the chiropractor

On a regular basis, we both fly Alaska at least five times a year from Anchorage (usually on individual trips) so we truly appreciate the companion ticket perk when we have to go east to visit relative. We've also used on to upgrade my in-laws (in their 70s) on the reverse route. Makes things easier for them too.
2k for 2 people first class from Anchorage to Boston is a pretty good price! Plus I don't understand your observation because you are also flying at least 5 times a year so in essence I think you are making my argument for me. I have used companion tickets to go first class to Hawaii 2x a year since Alaska started their service from Seattle. I also fly a good 50k miles, have a husband who flies at least 20k and use 2 of the visas on a regular basis. I feel that i am more than justified in being perturbed.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
2k for 2 people first class from Anchorage to Boston is a pretty good price! Plus I don't understand your observation because you are also flying at least 5 times a year so in essence I think you are making my argument for me. I have used companion tickets to go first class to Hawaii 2x a year since Alaska started their service from Seattle. I also fly a good 50k miles, have a husband who flies at least 20k and use 2 of the visas on a regular basis. I feel that i am more than justified in being perturbed.
I see where you are coming from. However, as a continued customer of
Alaska Airlines since 1972 and one of the first members of the Mileage Plan program, watching the erosion of member benefits over the years is disheartening. Times are changing and the consumer is often no longer the top priority to those who make the decisions. Thank goodness the staff of Alaska Airlines who deal with the public continue to represent the airline well.

Bottom line - a decision was made by management and it's time to move on. While not impressed with recent management decisions, I remain impressed with the wonderful front line employees who continue to represent Alaska Airlines and carry the name of the 49th state.

Interesting how much controversy this has created; twenty-nine pages so far and counting.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:23 am

jackal & baliktad, et al Assuming the proper U is available, will the AS booking engine handle a companion certificate and mileage of 30,000 (60,00 total) from each of two different accounts? Thanks for your previous help.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
I see where you are coming from. However, as a continued customer of
Alaska Airlines since 1972 and one of the first members of the Mileage Plan program, watching the erosion of member benefits over the years is disheartening. Times are changing and the consumer is often no longer the top priority to those who make the decisions. Thank goodness the staff of Alaska Airlines who deal with the public continue to represent the airline well.

Bottom line - a decision was made by management and it's time to move on. While not impressed with recent management decisions, I remain impressed with the wonderful front line employees who continue to represent Alaska Airlines and carry the name of the 49th state.

Interesting how much controversy this has created; twenty-nine pages so far and counting.
and your point is well taken. And while I agree with you still having a hard time understanding how this will save BA/As money. It does make it easier for me to cancel one of my AS/BA branded cards for something else. Of note I average 50K a year on one and 30K on the other, does seem right.

Still a loyal AS flyer pounding down a lot of miles every year
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

a plot?

Our anniversary is July 4th. No cert has posted yet to my account. I called CC at AS and they said that the posting of the cert don't always jive with the yearly renewal date of the card. She said most of the time it is about a month after that date...she looked and said we could expect the cert to post to my AS account August 4th....come on.....

One more card canceled.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
jackal & baliktad, et al Assuming the proper U is available, will the AS booking engine handle a companion certificate and mileage of 30,000 (60,00 total) from each of two different accounts? Thanks for your previous help.
Wow. Good question. I'm not sure.

You need to call AS to process the upgrade (it can't be done online for mileage upgrades), so it's possible that a phone agent can do that, but I really don't know.

Best bet is to wait here for an answer from someone more knowledgeable or call AS and ask.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:08 pm

UH! OH! Just did a bunch of dummy searches looking at how available mileage upgrades are. (from PHL) Lots for ONE passenger. NONE for two passengers.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Originally Posted by david4455
Our anniversary is July 4th. No cert has posted yet to my account. I called CC at AS and they said that the posting of the cert don't always jive with the yearly renewal date of the card. She said most of the time it is about a month after that date...she looked and said we could expect the cert to post to my AS account August 4th....come on.....

I had a similar conversation with BOA today... called because both my husband and I have cards that have an anniversary date in July. BOA checked the accounts and told me that our certficiates for both accounts are scheduled to be issued on August 1 and that it's not possible to push the date forward one day.

I actually came over to this thread hoping that someone in a similar situation had found some way to get theirs posted earlier...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs
I had a similar conversation with BOA today... called because both my husband and I have cards that have an anniversary date in July. BOA checked the accounts and told me that our certficiates for both accounts are scheduled to be issued on August 1 and that it's not possible to push the date forward one day.

I actually came over to this thread hoping that someone in a similar situation had found some way to get theirs posted earlier...
That really is ridiculous and even more frustrating then my August 4th potential cert posting.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:36 pm

Well my annual fee just posted to my BoA account (1 day earlier than it posted last year). In the past my companion cert always posted before the annual fee posted to my BoA account. No companion cert so far.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

IME, with the companion cert [as well as the $50 discount for the Plat card], it posts when the billing cycle for the anniversary month closes and the miles posts into my account.

I.E. If my anniversary is in December, the miles for December purchases along with the companion cert will post in Jan.

Nonetheless, I think the companion cert should post within a few days of the anniversary date, not a month later.

Did more research, what I posted was true for the Platinum $50 discount, but not true for the companion cert. Mine posted four days after the anniversary date or the day I was charged the annual fee last year.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
IME, with the companion cert [as well as the $50 discount for the Plat card], it posts when the billing cycle for the anniversary month closes and the miles posts into my account.

I.E. If my anniversary is in December, the miles for December purchases along with the companion cert will post in Jan.

Nonetheless, I think the companion cert should post within a few days of the anniversary date, not a month later.
Food for thought - it has been argued ad infinitum about the cost benefits for Alaska Airlines and BofA for the changes in the companion fare but what are the costs in public relations with their customer base? Guess this intangible can't be put into a spread sheet full of numbers but it is a critical component for any well run company to consider.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If the certs are posting at least a month after your anniversary date (and mine was almost 2 months after, but I got lucky and it was still in July), how in the world are they going to process the certificates for new applications they are selling on board right now that are supposedly going to fall within the F-eligible parameters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.