Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jwright
So then what you really meant is that it is worthless to YOU.
No, it's pretty much worthless to any Alaska-based elite.

I offered a few suggestions for how to make Club 49 useful for elites to Joe Sprague last year, but either the wheels move slowly or they don't think they need to do anything. One of my suggestions was to give Club 49 members who are elites similar baggage policies as United and Delta elites get--3 bags at 70 pounds each--which would come in very useful for those who live in Alaska, since Alaskans tend to do things like go shopping Outside and bring lots of goods back.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOB W
The reality is that the "chip" is very real and is being discussed in other threads in this forum. Apparently you don't think they are real. Others do and will disagree with you completely.

You do not state what your status is, so I can't speak to that, but if you have been MVPG or 75K for several years, you would see how different this company is today than it was not so long ago AND how the treatment of the elite tiers has fallen off badly in the last 3-4 years.

The number of airlines flying into and out of Alaska has not changed much for several years. Yes, you can throw out the once per day JetBlue and Frontier flights, the once or twice a day US and DL flights, and whatever the H##L United may or may not be doing this week, but they have absolutely no impact on the travel experience or cost for the vast majority of travelers. Their fares closely match AS. None appears ready to increase service into or out of Alaska.
I agree that benefits have been reduced over the past 15 years. However, people can't talk about "value" and ignore the other half of the equation: cost of air travel.

If we demanded - and received - cheaper fares, how can we complain about reductions in benefits compared to the past when we paid - and received - more?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Isn't that characterization a little unfair? Do you really think that the airline wouldn't increase routes if they were sustainable?

The fact is that population of the state of Alaska is about equivalent to that of North Dakota, and they are spread out over a lot more land space. I'm guessing AK has a heck of a lot more jet service than ND does.
People in North Dakota can drive places.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sxf24
I agree that benefits have been reduced over the past 15 years. However, people can't talk about "value" and ignore the other half of the equation: cost of air travel.

If we demanded - and received - cheaper fares, how can we complain about reductions in benefits compared to the past when we paid - and received - more?
The "rock bottom" of the cheapest fares are over. Now that we are paying more (and I don't mean in long ago historical terms, but over the past handful of years), the benefits are being chopped. What appears is happening is another industry-wide "oh it isn't antitrust" version of antitrust with respect to these FFPs. I believe that there is a concerted effort to have an industry-wide reduction of the balance sheets for these programs. No black helicopters, thank you
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The one thing about Club 49 that I do think has value is the 30% off fare 4 days out. I say this from the perspective of a person who has several aging family members down south. When the final bells toll for them - as a Club 49 member I annually have the option of buying a ticket at the last minute for 30% off so I can attend the funeral.

I could also burn miles, presuming I have them at the time and want to use them for that purpose.

I equate this particular Club 49 benefit with the bereavement fare of old. Sounds macabre but this is how I feel.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The "rock bottom" of the cheapest fares are over. Now that we are paying more (and I don't mean in long ago historical terms, but over the past handful of years), the benefits are being chopped. What appears is happening is another industry-wide "oh it isn't antitrust" version of antitrust with respect to these FFPs. I believe that there is a concerted effort to have an industry-wide reduction of the balance sheets for these programs. No black helicopters, thank you
When was the rock bottom of cheapest fares and how far do you think we are - in same year dollars - above it?

What exactly do you think the airlines obligation is to passengers?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
1. There is nowhere to go
2. It takes forever to get there
3. They love them some DL barbiejets
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:24 pm

Sure, they introduced Club 49 (which basically is worthless),
My non-elite family and friends would disagree with the "worthless" designation, especially when it comes to the free bags.

Elites already had some of what Club 49 offers.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
One of my suggestions was to give Club 49 members who are elites similar baggage policies as United and Delta elites get--3 bags at 70 pounds each--which would come in very useful for those who live in Alaska, since Alaskans tend to do things like go shopping Outside and bring lots of goods back.
Yeah, those coolers travel in both directions
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jwright
So then what you really meant is that it is worthless to YOU.
No, it's pretty much worthless to any Alaska-based elite.

I offered a few suggestions for how to make Club 49 useful for elites to Joe Sprague last year, but either the wheels move slowly or they don't think they need to do anything. One of my suggestions was to give Club 49 members who are elites similar baggage policies as United and Delta elites get--3 bags at 70 pounds each--which would come in very useful for those who live in Alaska, since Alaskans tend to do things like go shopping Outside and bring lots of goods back.
Shoulda bugged Joe about this- would be nice to have a third bag free to/from AK as an AS Club 49 Elite...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BOB W
1. There is nowhere to go
2. It takes forever to get there
3. They love them some DL barbiejets
But there are roads

I think Alaskans fly more per capita then other states - like how we eat more ice cream
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by sxf24
When was the rock bottom of cheapest fares and how far do you think we are - in same year dollars - above it?

What exactly do you think the airlines obligation is to passengers?
Rock Bottom: Ryan Air was charging about $15 bucks to fly from X to Y and w/serious discussion about paying more for using the lavatory.
How far are we above "rock bottom"? Look at PDX-PSP March 24, 2013 returning March 31, 2013. Alaska is milking spring break for every buck it can make. This is capitalism and Alaska's primary mission is to maximize profits. I get it.
Yet, I looked to see how much it would cost to fly from Portland to Chicago next month-on a variety of dates- and was shocked. The prices are roughly 2-4x what the cheapest "rock bottom" prices of several years ago were-ie, $199 bucks all in round trip-and those are in constant dollars because their has been virtually no inflation in the last few years-which explains why my bank is paying me .002% interest but that's another story. The greater narrative is there are less seats available than there were a few years ago because carrier's have reduced their capacity and therefore carriers are doing a better job of filling every one of their available seats. Consequently, we are paying, in real dollars, appreciably more than we were a few years ago.
I think I understand where you are coming from. You believe that an airlines obligation to its passenger is to maximize profit and get them from point A to point B safely-and maybe even w/their luggage-no matter how miserable the experience. I want more than you. I understand that I will pay for it and it will have to be on another carrier.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This.

And you only need to look at the last handful of years, because that's the same time period we're talking about here with regard to removals of benefits.

Based on my ticket purchase history, here are my annual averages:

2010: 3.3 cpm
2011: 4.1 cpm
2012: 4.7 cpm

I think AS was at the top of their game at the beginning of 2010. It started sliding downhill after that, though, and really picked up steam in 2011. Now I'm paying 42% more for my flights and getting less for it.

No need to compare ticket prices in 1980 to today; compare fares in 2010 (when benefits were great) to 2012 (after 18 notable benefits had been removed).
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
This.

And you only need to look at the last handful of years, because that's the same time period we're talking about here with regard to removals of benefits.

Based on my ticket purchase history, here are my annual averages:

2010: 3.3 cpm
2011: 4.1 cpm
2012: 4.7 cpm

I think AS was at the top of their game at the beginning of 2010. It started sliding downhill after that, though, and really picked up steam in 2011. Now I'm paying 42% more for my flights and getting less for it.

No need to compare ticket prices in 1980 to today; compare fares in 2010 (when benefits were great) to 2012 (after 18 notable benefits had been removed).
Excellent post.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Since AS' fuel expense is >50% higher in 2012 than in 2010, I think you're getting a pretty good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.