Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Cancelling one of two cards

Yesterday, my wife and I both received letters confirming the benefits changes (we both have cards). At the end of the year, we are going to cancel my wife's card (it is scheduled to renew in January). We are going to keep my card, because once a year, we travel to Fresno. Given there is no first class on the aircraft serving SEA-FAT, this is a good use the companion fare for us.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Just in time for the dreaded automatic account closing "for my security."

I most likely will never use the companion cert in FC, but my parents have had to use it several times in the past when traveling back home after surgery when either one of them physically could not contort themselves in a coach seat. They'll most likely will need this benefit in the future again, but now it's gone...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:28 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jackal
As much as I despise this change,* I'm going to call you on this for being beyond unfair to the FAs. You can be angry at the company and even angry at the specific executives and managers who instituted this change, but you should not take your anger out on front-line employees. If they haven't heard yet--and it's very, very likely that most haven't--it's not their fault. Direct your anger at AS for not efficiently communicating this information to their employees.
I guess I could have re phrased or reworded things better. They may not knowingly be lying or saying fraudulent things but they still are, on behalf of AAG. They represent AAG on the flight and I agree there must be some lack of communication. A cutback of this magnitude should have been communicated to all staff at least an hour before the announcement went officially public
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:32 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by diamond_46
I called customer service today and asked about getting a new credit card and would I be credited with my first class eligible companion certificate before August 1. I was told it would take about one month so I would not get the first class certificate. I then asked it there had been many complaints about the change in companion tickets to coach only and was told no I was the first to complain.
thats why they gave such a short notice....3 weeks .....
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by diamond_46
I called customer service today and asked about getting a new credit card and would I be credited with my first class eligible companion certificate before August 1. I was told it would take about one month so I would not get the first class certificate. I then asked it there had been many complaints about the change in companion tickets to coach only and was told no I was the first to complain.
Was fortunate to get a card about a month ago. Did it on line and was approved within 60 seconds. The certificate was posted within a week or two. I would give it a shot. All you can lose is $75 and you still get the mileage and a coach certificate. .
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:03 pm

Bye bye Alaska

These certificates were the only reason that we flew Alaska - frankly first class is not that great and NOT worth full price. We will move to another airline that has decent economy and better flight options. We have 4 credit cards in the family and fly a combined total of about 50 flight segments. Hope the financials are working out for them.

Bad decision by both Alaska and BoA.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The application process still shows no mention of the new T&C, so either (1) they expect to approve everyone who applies AND have codes issued prior to 1 Aug, or (2) .....
Still no mention as of today via the link from AS' homepage:

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...1391412-163799

Nor is there any mention of the change on the link from the hompage to the "Companion Ticket Discount Code Q&A" page:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...companion-cert
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by finnster
decent economy
Who would that be?

AS Y is still pretty good compared to most.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by BOB W
Who would that be?

AS Y is still pretty good compared to most.
If you have even low-level elite status providing access to E+/EC/etc style seating, which is now available on or being implemented by most other US carriers, then AS Y comes up short.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by seaflyguy
If you have even low-level elite status providing access to E+/EC/etc style seating, which is now available on or being implemented by most other US carriers, then AS Y comes up short.
Precisely. E+ is a huge deal to me considering it is illegal for me to sit in the exit row. The ironic part, I am sure many people would prefer a deaf person in the exit row than an intoxicated person in the exit row [yes, airlines serve/sell booze to people sitting in the exit row].

Good riddance.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
But for those threatening to take all of their business elsewhere exclusively because of this...well, let all of us know when you find the other airline offering an F companion certificate. AS's companion certificate post August 1 is matched by whom...US Air probably. WN...not at all (no AK, no HI, no Mexico in their route network...not to mention no place to upgrade to even if it were available.)
Your challenge implies that AS and other airlines are roughly equal in terms of benefits, except that AS used to have F companion certificates and no longer does, and since others don't, either, then there's no reason to leave AS. "Benefits" are in the eye of the beholder; for someone, say, who doesn't fly to AK, AS' route network there means nothing, whereas for someone, say, who doesn't fly internationally, AA's SWUs would mean nothing. In my particular case, what AS had going for it was, in no particular order, West Coast ubiquity, nonstops to HI, and the F companion fare. Now it's down to West Coast frequency and HI nonstops, and that's just not enough to keep me motivated to make MVP, much less retain my current MVPG status. In other words, flying AS wasn't all about the F companion fare; it's just that its loss was, for me, the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by inthchips
Weird timing. Had been seriously considering cancelling AS visas (two personal and one business) for quite some time, but held on for companion fare in FC alone. Now will cancel all, as it serves no purpose for us to keep them.

And now comes the search for the best value on credit cards ... does anyone have a suggestion on where to start the search?
I plan on cancelling both of ours in the family as well now.

As for your question about a good card. I have been EXTREMELY happy with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Has a nice signup bonus, and can download points 1 for 1 into a carrier of each alliance so you can fly MANY MANY different airlines. In fact you could transfer your points into British Airways Avios, and then (on some routes) use less of them to fly on AS metal than using AS miles themselves.

I plan on moving most of my business and point gathering over to *Alliance once I burn the rest of my AS miles.

I really appreciated what someone said earlier... we stood by during the great recession, the high oil prices of recent and a few years ago and all these cutbacks... Truth be told, I've NEVER used the cert for First Class, but its just the principle and I feel like this was the straw that broke the camels back. I plan on using my one existing cert on perhaps for a Kona trip in F and then off you go AS. I just tallied up what I've spent with Alaska since 2006 = 820,000 miles. Maybe not a lot to many of you but my Wife and I had a lot of nice trips on Alaska and its partners... I think United or American will be happy to get our business in the future.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
More than a little disappointed with the letter I received from Alaska Airlines today. I'll be cancelling one of my two BofA AS MCs tomorrow. The other one will go before the annual fee comes up if they don't withdraw the changes to the companion certificate.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by finnster
These certificates were the only reason that we flew Alaska - frankly first class is not that great and NOT worth full price. We will move to another airline that has decent economy and better flight options. We have 4 credit cards in the family and fly a combined total of about 50 flight segments. Hope the financials are working out for them.

Bad decision by both Alaska and BoA.
Care to name the airlines and the routes.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by apodo77
Care to name the airlines and the routes.
Here is an example... I am scheduled to fly to Las Vegas from the east coast with a friend in August on United. The return we are flying via IAH and the last leg, which is three hours long, was swapped from a 737 to a CR7. The times did not change, just the equipment.

A quick call got us re-routed via IAD and gets us back an hour earlier, where we will also get to enjoy the LH SEN lounge. I just called with the flight numbers I want to be rebooked on and within 10 minutes our PNRs [separate] was good to go. Even if the last segment only had 5 seats left. Oh, no change fees or request to collect the fare difference.

With AS, that would never happen, even as an MVPG75K and AS comes no-where near offering the vast amount of routing options as UA.

Of course, we also have E+, which beats 90% of the Y seats on AS planes.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.