FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:10 pm
seaflyguy

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
But for those threatening to take all of their business elsewhere exclusively because of this...well, let all of us know when you find the other airline offering an F companion certificate. AS's companion certificate post August 1 is matched by whom...US Air probably. WN...not at all (no AK, no HI, no Mexico in their route network...not to mention no place to upgrade to even if it were available.)
Your challenge implies that AS and other airlines are roughly equal in terms of benefits, except that AS used to have F companion certificates and no longer does, and since others don't, either, then there's no reason to leave AS. "Benefits" are in the eye of the beholder; for someone, say, who doesn't fly to AK, AS' route network there means nothing, whereas for someone, say, who doesn't fly internationally, AA's SWUs would mean nothing. In my particular case, what AS had going for it was, in no particular order, West Coast ubiquity, nonstops to HI, and the F companion fare. Now it's down to West Coast frequency and HI nonstops, and that's just not enough to keep me motivated to make MVP, much less retain my current MVPG status. In other words, flying AS wasn't all about the F companion fare; it's just that its loss was, for me, the straw that broke the camel's back.