Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AKSteveB
Another possibility is that they are preparing to release a higher end card than the current AS Signature Visa. DL only allows Coach on its companion ticket for their Gold Amex (75 USD per year) , Coach and First for the DL Reserve Card (450 USD per year). They do have fare restrictions on both (basically only the cheapest fares on Coach and only Expensive fares in First).
And the DL cards give no mileage credit to the companion. It's a cheap flight much like AS, but no hopes of the companion making elite status with it.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes this may increase upgrades for AS elites as its freeing up F space
The change to the MVPG upgrade certificates was supposed to increase complimentary upgrades for AS elites by preventing many of the certs from being used, but I haven't heard anyone say their upgrade percentage has gone up since that happened. I think the number of people using their companion certs for full F is so small as to be a non-issue...which means that AS's use of it as the reason for the change is .

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Already had, along with Rick Rasmussen and Ray Prentice (who are good folk, as is Caroline, but the more ammo these folks have to forward to others, the better -- as long as it's polite and specific). Great suggestion for those who don't know the players.
Good to know Caroline is only the messenger. Folks should be sure not to direct their anger at her personally but rather at AS. Make the letters fit to forward on to the C-levels who are responsible for making these policy changes.

I have put out the idea that these changes are coming from the top down--the fruits of having an accountant take over the company and ruin what the former CEOs who came from marketing backgrounds had built up into one of the best and most-loved carriers in the market. I've even floated the idea among a few with inside knowledge, and while lips are pretty tight, the assertion has not been challenged by anyone legitimate, so I can only assume I'm hitting pretty close to home.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
I have put out the idea that these changes are coming from the top down--the fruits of having an accountant take over the company and ruin what the former CEOs who came from marketing backgrounds had built up into one of the best and most-loved carriers in the market. I've even floated the idea among a few with inside knowledge, and while lips are pretty tight, the assertion has not been challenged by anyone legitimate, so I can only assume I'm hitting pretty close to home.
I don't know who you're talking to, but I've consistently heard that the change in leadership has not changed the culture.

The focus on sustainable financial results has been in place for many years. We're just seeing it manifested in areas that are more visible to consumers.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jackal
I have put out the idea that these changes are coming from the top down--the fruits of having an accountant take over the company and ruin what the former CEOs who came from marketing backgrounds had built up into one of the best and most-loved carriers in the market.
Exactly what happened 10 years ago to DL when they made a bean counter their CEO.

Leo practically destroyed the SkyMiles program and nearly took the rest of the airline down with him until the Board of Director's mercifully replaced him with someone who focused on customers and employees.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
our 2 certs will be expires on 7/11. I am trying to book something refundable to extend them. I assume that the new certs would be issued on 7/12 (?). How about I will book that two new ones and cancel both card at the end of the monthly cycle to prevent the $75 fee. Can I do that? Anyone with experience can shed me some light. Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:51 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
our 2 certs will be expires on 7/11. I am trying to book something refundable to extend them. I assume that the new certs would be issued on 7/12 (?). How about I will book that two new ones and cancel both card at the end of the monthly cycle to prevent the $75 fee. Can I do that? Anyone with experience can shed me some light. Thanks
IME, the certs will be deposited in your account shortly after Bofa collects your annual fee. I have never seen any of my discounts/certs posted into my account on the day or a few days before the annual fee is due.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:05 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Clearly this decision was made some time ago. BofA is probably going to be shocked about the number of cards that get cancelled in the next several months.

?
I wont be keeping my card around anymore. A coach companion fare will bsically cost you not 110 but $185 annually. Not worth it. I can see where this is going too. Next the fee will be raised to $95 a year. Yeah we all now know the previous so called errors or typos were not typos. They just published it prematurely.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:09 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
From AS FB page...

Ongoing cost pressures and growing demand for limited space in First Class (particularly on flights to Hawaii and the East Coast) prompted the changes.What a bunch of bull
on going costs to retain a worthless card is whats going to prompt me to get rid of it and make changes
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just got my annual renewal and companion cert so it can still be used for F. It expires July 3, 2013. That does not mean I have to fly by July 3, 2013, correct? It just means I have to book by next July, so I can book something for, say, May 2014 still using this F-able cert, yes?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got my annual renewal and companion cert so it can still be used for F. It expires July 3, 2013. That does not mean I have to fly by July 3, 2013, correct? It just means I have to book by next July, so I can book something for, say, May 2014 still using this F-able cert, yes?
Yes, you just need to book by the expiration date.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Smeadcw
I'm a flyer that splits my 200k miles between AS and DL. This card IMO is still a great card to fly to mid or transcon flights that tend to be $300+.
Let's say the fare is $400... Your companion will cost you:

$75 annual fee
$110 companion fee
$50 in taxes

Total: $235

Total price for two tickets will be $635, which will only effectively save you $165. Does not really sound like a great deal to me... YMMV, of course.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'd like someone to hand me $165 today.

I agree the change sucks but I'm not sure I'm going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I live in Eugene and AS is our only viable choice for the places we fly most.

I really don't put much on my AS Visa, preferring to use my Hilton Amex, but I use the Visa for transactions that don't take Amex.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Total price for two tickets will be $635, which will only effectively saves you $165. Does not really sound like a great deal to me... YMMV, of course.
How is saving $165 not a good deal? Would you rather pay AS $165 more than you would otherwise?

When the competitor's flights are $83 cheaper (x2), then it's a wash (which I see a lot and which dilutes the value further), but all else being equal, I'll take $165 in my pocket all day long.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'd like someone to hand me $165 today.

I agree the change sucks but I'm not sure I'm going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I live in Eugene and AS is our only viable choice for the places we fly most.

I really don't put much on my AS Visa, preferring to use my Hilton Amex, but I use the Visa for transactions that don't take Amex.
Originally Posted by czpdx
How is saving $165 not a good deal? Would you rather pay AS $165 more than you would otherwise?

When the competitor's flights are $83 cheaper (x2), then it's a wash (which I see a lot and which dilutes the value further), but all else being equal, I'll take $165 in my pocket all day long.
1. Often from the east coast going to somewhere other than PNW, to get a decent connection the times usually suck if you want the lowest fare. Often requiring an overnight.

2. Often AS's fares are higher than UA/DL/AA on many east coast to west coast routes, which eats into the potential savings and often exceeds the savings.

I never meant to imply that it is worthless, I am just disagreeing on the notion that it is a "GREAT deal". I am not sure if it is worthwhile to suffer with a rather restrictive east coast to west coast schedule along with 4+ hours connections just to save $165 for two people.

If the flights you normally take and the companion discount works for you, then great, but it is not the great deal it once was for me.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Let's say the fare is $400... Your companion will cost you:

$75 annual fee
$110 companion fee
$50 in taxes
Total: $235

Total price for two tickets will be $635, which will only effectively save you $165. Does not really sound like a great deal to me... YMMV, of course.
What's the $50 in taxes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.