Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Menus and meals 2022-2023

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by taupo
Food ex YVR is much better, which never used to be the case.
I’ve often found the food from outstations much better than ex-AKL. In fact, one of the best fish dishes I’ve had (both on the ground and in the air) was in BP ex-HKG back in 2019.

Originally Posted by raznz
nice, those would be the two items I'd lean towards myself!
They both seemed like the lightest options considering the timing of the flight. Also, I don’t like cooked salmon which rules that out for dinner.

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
maybe it is a Meat thing? done quite few J flights long and short and really like the Vege options. Also loving the new foccacia garlic bread (was a complete addict to the old ones.. it was a problem!)
I think it’s not so much a meat thing but more of a wrong cut of meat thing. Eye fillet is very lean and probably doesn’t do well being cooked, chilled, then reheated. For meat cuts they should stick with shin, brisket, short rib etc. as these do hold up well in flight usually.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Flew from Auckland to Tokyo earlier this week in economy - we wanted the Skycouch for our baby to be able to crawl around in and have a more comfortable place to sleep. The helpful flight attendant also reserved a spare seat for us in the adjacent middle seating for us once boarding was complete, so it was actually quite a comfortable flight. I sat in the spare seat, and my wife and baby got to stretch out and sleep.

As far as meals go, I was honestly pleasantly surprised.

Meal one I had a smoky beef "brisket" (it was really just normal beef) with mac and cheese; the other option was teriyaki salmon with rice. We both had the brisket and enjoyed it. The The passenger next to me had the salmon and enjoyed it from what I could tell.

Meal two the options were beef penne pasta or karage fried chicken. My wife had the penne pasta (so she could give some of the pasta to the baby) and I tried some too. It wasn't bad at all, more than edible although some of the pasta had no sauce and was totally plain.

The karage chicken with rice was actually rather tasty, just the texture was off as the breading had gone soggy - no crispiness at all. The bean side salad was good too.

In both instances, considering it's economy class food the only real complaint is that portion sizes felt quite small and I was definitely hungry by the time the flight landed. For both meals I gladly would have eaten more, which I see as the ultimate measure of what is never going to be great food.

I'll send some photos from my phone and re-upload them here.

For the younger readers, the baby meals aren't the fanciest - but baby was served two lots of baby food pouches, and kindly given the spare ones when we disembarked (which meant we didn't need to rush out and buy more food when we got to the hotel).
mad_atta likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:28 pm

From my experience BP food has deteriorated so much, Economy food taste better.

There is more protein on BP but seems to be poorly planned and executed.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I struggle to see why the BP food is so bad. I agree with poop bunny. I got an economy breakfast recently in J, and it was really tasty!!
The actual menu item descriptions are ok.
All the ingredients are on the plate, they don't all appear to be cheap and nasty, but they still manage to make them taste like rubbish.
Is it a catering problem? Is it a recipe problem? Cheap cuts of meats can still be easily made into tasty food.
Poorly planned and executed describes it well.

Emirates F still remains cheaper than NZ/United J to London! No food quality problems there ! :-)
Thai-Kiwi and poopbunny like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I took the opportunity to provide some ‘unvarnished’ feedback. Pity I couldn’t upload a picture of my disaster beef fillet. The presentation was awful, but the steak was worse.

Hopefully others are also being honest in their views of the offerings - especially at current BP fare prices.

I also recall changing into the excellent QF pyjamas for a HKG-AKL flight (grey with a giant ‘roo on the chest), and being gently chided by the ISM as she walked the aisle - I replied politely that I’d be very happy to wear AirNZ pyjamas if only they were available - they weren’t….
poopbunny likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
TT apr - oct

BP1_BFST_MMEAL_APR-OCT_23-24

on NZ 124 now
amuse Bosch tasted like a rubber puck
fish rilette was rather strong on taste
salmon main was odd, steamed gai lan with a dry piece of salmon with creamy sauce

dessert instead of menu options I got offered chocolate mousse or cheese
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:22 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
TT apr - oct

BP1_BFST_MMEAL_APR-OCT_23-24

on NZ 124 now
amuse Bosch tasted like a rubber puck
fish rilette was rather strong on taste
salmon main was odd, steamed gai lan with a dry piece of salmon with creamy sauce

dessert instead of menu options I got offered chocolate mousse or cheese

amuse bouche

TT breakfast

Salmon Main

Smoked fish appetizer

TT main meal menu
Carfield likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold

After my awful meal experience AKL-NRT two weeks ago I thought I'd provide feedback on my return flight meal tonight TPE-AKL.

The good news, dinner was absolutely delicious. I ordered the mixed tasting platter to start and the halibut for my main. Both were really tasty.

It seems the food out of overseas ports is much better than out of AKL, hopefully we start to see an improved service.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Has anyone seen or experienced the recent J menu to New York?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
AKL-YVR NZ24 J 29 Apr

Amuse-bouche was paua saucisson

Tasting plate

I asked for the salmon with just a side salad, rather than the ‘superfood salad’

Below is scrambled eggs on rosti with pastrami. Not a winner for me

Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’ve found that catering ex-AKL has gone down considerably since pre-Covid times. Yes, there’s the odd nice meal here and there but overall it’s subpar.

However, catering from offshore destinations (especially Asia) does seem to be quite good lately.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:56 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Food wasn't that great heading over to MEL about two weeks ago.
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Carfield and poopbunny like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Is that a croissant, or did someone have a dog loose in the cabin? 😆😆😆
Old May 1, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Hahaha I thought the same thing when the FA brought it out to me lol!
Old May 1, 2023, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Your scrambled egg evolved into an omelette and the spinach appears to be long beans.

Reminded me of my last NZ meal on a 747 before it was retired.

My beef fillet (per menu) turned out to be an overcooked dry brisket. I could tell, because I got nearly the same meal on a flight to HKG. They tried their best to fool me by dressing it up like a fillet.

Not sure if the kitchen ran out of fillet and thought it wise to substitute it for brisket, or NZ had further cut their budget for meals.

Continued to make NZ my preferential airline thinking it could not get any worse.

Can't believe I was so stupid to think it was a one off and things would improve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.