Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Menus and meals 2022-2023

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Pretty sure I disposed of something like that in the plane toilets when changing the baby before her bedtime.
Old May 4, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
AKL-LAX May 2023 BP

Friend on AKL-ORD on 30 April in BP had same menu
Old May 4, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer

Friend on AKL-ORD on 30 April in BP had same menu
Same menu as my flight in Jan (just with a modified layout for the customizations)
Old May 4, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Is it just me or do others find that menu totally uninspiring?
sonyxperiageek likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
I’ve found that catering ex-AKL has gone down considerably since pre-Covid times. Yes, there’s the odd nice meal here and there but overall it’s subpar.

However, catering from offshore destinations (especially Asia) does seem to be quite good lately.
I only have one flight out of AKL to go by and I don't think this is isolated to NZ. I think it is a catering issue. I flew SQ two weeks ago in business. Both main meals were not great. The second was a bit better.

However, when I flew NZ from HKG a couple of days ago, the food was good.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Food ex-AKL is cr@p………
Old May 5, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Absolutely agree,
food was dire AKL-YVR in March but great SIN-AKL in April.
Crew all said food out of SIN was great cfed to AKL
Old May 6, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YVR-AKL Premium Economy early May

Food was better tasting that the outbound flight in BP. Indeed the PE experience (my first ever longhaul) was very good. The bed in BP remains the saving grace for overnight flights.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 6, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Flew back from Tokyo the other day, and the food in economy was decent once again.

Dinner was a choice between "slow cooked" beef and mash, or teriyaki chicken on rice. Wife and I both had the beef and it was tasty, although it was more guydon bowl beef (or bulgogi if you are familiar with Korean food) so very thin strips of meat.

Breakfast was a Western-style omelette, potato, mushrooms and sausage or a Japanese option (I didn't actually catch what it was).

The mushrooms were average, but the sausage was nice and the omelette was actually better than a few ones I've paid for in cafes recently, both in terms of flavour and portion size.

Happy customer overall, and probably in future I'll just look to do Skycouch again and eat the economy food as it seems that I won't be missing out on much.
Old May 6, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
All 3 dinner options sound disgusting. I would have asked for something from economy!

I wonder what elthe obsession with capers? Trying to make food super salty so it's appealing at altitude? They're utterly disgusting!
Old May 6, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All 3 dinner options sound disgusting. I would have asked for something from economy!

I wonder what elthe obsession with capers? Trying to make food super salty so it's appealing at altitude? They're utterly disgusting!
Tell us how you really feel
Old May 7, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by samjaynz

Happy customer overall, and probably in future I'll just look to do Skycouch again and eat the economy food as it seems that I won't be missing out on much.
I've always thought skycouch was the way to go as that is the closest you can get to a lie-flat bed without having to pay J prices. And in-flight food doesn't really appeal to me these days anyway so can load up in the lounge beforehand. Just a pity the extra Skycouch cost doesn't accrue any additional APD or SP!
Old May 7, 2023, 1:54 pm

Like putting coriander in/on most of the dishes in the lounges!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prp343
Like putting coriander in/on most of the dishes in the lounges!
OT-ish. There is a Thai idiom ผักชี โรยหน้า (pakchee roi na), which refers to decorating food with coriander to try and make something bad/unappetising look good.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:20 pm

I use to find excuses to fly NZ. I thought maybe being a small airline with limited routes, changing the menu frequently was too much to expect.

If an airline does it well, they could offer the same popular dishes for years. MH SQ satays, SQ Book the Cook, etc.

"Fear not the man who can cook 10,000 meals, but the man who cooked 1 meal, 10,000 times" (Bruce Lee analogy).

NZ have managed to continually mess up a fairly static menu, let alone anything new to come.

Customer feedback not getting through or simply ignored.

Just hopeless.
WLGNZ, bce1 and LyingFlat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.