Menus and meals 2022-2023

Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
If anyone has it could someone post the current AKL breakfast out / lunch back TT J menu please.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bce1
If anyone has it could someone post the current AKL breakfast out / lunch back TT J menu please.
Not recent - AKL-SYD 30 Jun 2022:

Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I recently tried flying vegan for a return trip.

I do not recommend it taste wise... Or even perhaps vegan wise? For reference, I flew PE over, BP coming home.

In BP they bizarrely gave me nuts with milk chocolate cubes in them instead of the tuna taster, which was the vegetarian alternative - except they just didn't remove the chocolate, and so if you were a strict vegan (which I am not, if served I will eat animal products, but I just don't choose it) you just would have to pick around it and get no replacement for the food? And be served something that you ethically find upsetting?

Then for each meal in BP, they would place down butter. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it is thoughtful if they ask first because obviously, for some people, they are not strictly vegan (like me) and more of a plant based eater. However, many are strictly vegan and its somewhat upsetting for them to have butter placed at their table, unrequested, for ethical reasons. While I will still eat non plant based food when served, I do for ethical reasons usually make the choice to not have it, so I would have declined it.

And it was even more strange because they would hesitate with the bread service. The staff would say, "we don't have any vegan bread - do you still want any?" Where chances are, the non garlic bread was vegan anyway. But I was never asked about butter?

Then, when they served hot drinks, they never offered soy milk or plant milk. Perhaps they have it, but they never offered it. I should have asked, I was too shy. They never hesitated to offer me milk either, which I found so strange in comparison to the hesitation over the bread. On my flight over in PE they served me as part of dinner a tiny tub of Unsweetened Soy Milk, so I assumed that it wasn't on their drink cart because of that. I used that instead of milk throughout that flight.

And then, when the flight attendant (kindly) made my bed up when I was in the bathroom, they (again, kindly and thoughtfully) left a milk chocolate on my pillow. I thought it was really kind and I appreciated it but again... Its not vegan. Having some dark chocolate options could be a good idea.
​​​​​
Now taste wise, the food was honestly... Dreadful.

One in my travel party is vegetarian. I noticed a lot of the food was the same as theirs, except it had no cheese. With no replacement for it. It made the food extremely dry and tasteless. And even the base vegetarian food was mostly lacking in any sort of flavour. For example, BP dinner for both of us was a wad of poorly cooked plain rice, with a bowl of breans sitting in a tomato based sauce. It truly tasted like a slightly upmarket tin of tomato beans. While the standard food looked exquisite with lots of interesting herbs, flavours and touches. Even the vegetables on the side of our meals were just boiled with salt. Why can't the vegan and vegetarian food be cooked with as the normal dishes? Even their vegetables taste and cooked more interesting than ours. It's as though someone thought that vegetarians and vegans want bland, boiled food?

What's interesting is my vegan starter was an avocado dish that was actually quite delicious. I wish I had 3 of those plus bread service honestly. So clearly, someone in the menu team can come up with nice tasting plant based food.

The BP vegan breakfast was drastically different from the vegetarian option. The vegetarian option was eggs. For vegans, we got pancakes! Now I have no problem with pancakes being an option. But when they are your ONLY option, they are, in my personal opinion, a rather odd choice. New Zealand is not a country that tends to eat sweet things for breakfast. Some people choose to but on the whole, we choose more savory dishes which is why they make up the bulk of brunch menus. The tiny pancakes were not filling in the slightest and the dish had zero protein, making it extremely unbalanced. What about replacing the eggs with a tofu scramble? With herbs and spices added to it? Eating something so sweet with no nutritional value just made me feel sick, honestly.

It truly, truly felt like the entire vegan experience (except for the starter) was created by someone who didn't understand vegan or vegetarian food, and who had the idea that if the dish can't have animal products that it has to therefore be bland, so why try. Vegans can still enjoy herbs, spices, sauces and oils! And vegans still have access to a wise range of plant based protein sources too to enjoy!
​​​​
I am sort of tempted next time to perhaps try the vegetarian Oriental meal as I suspect it will have a lot less dairy and eggs in it, but not be bland or make me sick.

I am also surprised a bit about the staff at giving out so many animal products to a customer they know is vegan. It makes me guess that people don't know. Animal products are commonly around and so it's easy to not think of chocolate as having milk in it, for example. Perhaps some more training for staff on the differences between vegans/vegetarians? If veganism was strange and rarely practiced I would not suggest that, however its pretty common now and so having training over what is likely to be vegan (bread) versus what is not (chocolate) could go a long way.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I recently tried flying vegan for a return trip.

I do not recommend it taste wise... Or even perhaps vegan wise? For reference, I flew PE over, BP coming home.
{snip text}
If veganism was strange and rarely practiced I would not suggest that, however its pretty common now and so having training over what is likely to be vegan (bread) versus what is not (chocolate) could go a long way.
I can only assume that AirNZ holds extensive data on the various 'special' meals actually requested and have their business model tuned to meet that level of requirement. Of course, I'd agree that meal quality should be broadly consistent for each cabin - be it 1 vegan meal or 280 meals with no dietary restrictions.

As to whether or not veganism is 'pretty common' I am not aware of the stats; perhaps it's a pity the recent census didn't gather that information...

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 20, 2023 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:02 pm

My guess is statistically, they will more often than not have at least 1 vegan special meal onboard, most likely more. Enough to have a bit of training on what vegans can and can't eat - or potentially a list of safe foods for the attendants to refer to, like an allergy list.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is statistically, they will more often than not have at least 1 vegan special meal onboard, most likely more. Enough to have a bit of training on what vegans can and can't eat - or potentially a list of safe foods for the attendants to refer to, like an allergy list.

Even if nothing has been booked? Applying that logic would see every kind of special meal loaded - clearly wasteful, expensive and inefficient.

A quick search indicated around 10% of the pop is vege/vegan. So likely each longhaul flight will have plenty in Y (at least).

Iíd assume there is an allergy reference guide crew can access.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 21, 2023 at 12:02 am
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Even if nothing has been booked? Applying that logic would see every kind of special meal loaded - clearly wasteful, expensive and inefficient.

A quick search indicated around 10% of the pop is vege/vegan. So likely each longhaul flight will have plenty in Y (at least).

Iíd assume there is an allergy reference guide crew can access.
But you do have to book the meal. The meal is booked in advance, otherwise you can't have it. You have to book it 48 hours in advance to be loaded, it isn't just onboard. The staff also are made aware that you are vegan, and introduce themselves to you. I don't see how it is wasteful for them to choose to not give you butter or chocolate, or wasteful for their chefs to organize better vegan substitutes in meals, unless I misunderstand this post?

There might also be an allergy guide onboard: I think it is poor training that they don't use it, is my point. For many people, being vegan is an ethical choice. It would be like if you served pork to someone who follows a Kosher diet, after they requested the meal to be Kosher, and you advertised it as a Kosher meal. I think the staff probably offered great service based on their training, but the training clearly isn't sufficient to be advertising your meals as vegan.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Mar 21, 2023 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
It does seem hit and miss with both food and service flow recently. The new flow for breakfast in BP is frustrating if you just want the lighter options and no hot meal. In BP to SFO the other week, was served the worst piece of beef I think Iíve ever had on a plane, in any cabin - you needed a chainsaw. Itís tempting to speculate that the drive to Ďimproveí or evolve food service is leading to several significant steps back amongst the overall changes. All Air NZ would have to do is plant a few Ďmystery paxí into premium cabins for a few weeks, and the issues would soon be obvious.
Thai-Kiwi and samjnz like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayKiwi
In BP to SFO the other week, was served the worst piece of beef I think Iíve ever had on a plane, in any cabin - you needed a chainsaw.
Worse than this overcooked, solid shocker?
AKL-SIN late DecÖ

poopbunny and JayKiwi like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:12 am

What would be interesting would be to see if the food in PE/Economy might ironically be better. My hot meal in PE was nicer than than the beans I had in BP (even if still not amazing). The beef in PE/Economy might be more tender right now than BP!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
What would be interesting would be to see if the food in PE/Economy might ironically be better. My hot meal in PE was nicer than than the beans I had in BP (even if still not amazing). The beef in PE/Economy might be more tender right now than BP!
The last PE meal I had (this year) was the best Iíve ever had over all three courses.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:40 am

I had the super food salad with chicken in BP last month and the protein was just bigger than a McNugget lol
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: NZ *E
Agreed that the new meal rollout wasn't too great -- it also felt that they tailored it towards one "full" meal choice and two "light" options (at least on AKL/LAX).

Given the crazy high fares right now it felt a little stingy to me. This is also in the backdrop of generally blah customer service and an increasingly outdated product that will be in the sky for years to come.

Just a few years ago I was a big AirNZ fan (telling my friends "you have to fly them, they're the best!") and now I feel they are decidedly average (and maybe even sub-par a US carrier like Delta in some respects, which is something I never thought I would say!)
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Menu JFK-AKL 20 March 2023

Menu for the JFK to AKL flight departing JFK 20 March arrival 22 March 2023
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
22032300.PDF (192.0 KB, 282 views)
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by bce1
Sorry I didnít actually get the AKL breakfast out part
bce1 and raznz like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.