Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Your odds are in the range of 0% to 100%

I'm not sure what's annoying about not knowing about an upgrade until the day. The vast majority of upgrades don't clear until somewhere between check-in and the gate.
It’s annoying if you need the extra baggage allowance and so due to it not clearing prepurchase an extra bag or two then can’t get this refunded if you then end up paying for the upgrade. I appreciate this may only be a problem TT as I have heard NZ may allow you the anticipated upgraded allowance long haul.
Bub001 and Shelleybgood like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

NZ7 SFO-AKL, 370 to PE accepted at 9hr
Old May 26, 2018, 11:11 am

Nz1 lax-akl

NZ1 LAX - AKL
BID ACCEPTED 3 days out. PE to J for $520
trooper likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Vaab
NZ1 LAX - AKL
Great upgrade. What day of the week was this?
Old May 26, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Vaab
NZ1 LAX - AKL
I assume this is US$ since it's below the the minimum bid in NZ$?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: DL FO, SPG Gold
03/06/2018 (DD/MM/YYYY format)
NZ7 SFO-AKL
PE --> BP
Offered $535 US (middle of "weak" range)
Accepted 5 days out

EDIT: I am a Premier Silver on United, so I do have Star Alliance Silver status. Maybe an uplift?

I feel fortunate as I have a few 4+ hour layovers in the US to get to SFO, so now at least I'll have lounge access for those layovers.

I have three more bids outstanding. We'll see...

Last edited by OllieGator; May 30, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: Adding Star Alliance status
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:55 pm

Hello..we are flying in April 2019 SFO-AUCK and reserved PE for now. Want to OneUp to Business but this process is very new to me. 1) Should we join ANZ Miles program? 2) When should I put in the bid(s)? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by renaw
Hello..we are flying in April 2019 SFO-AUCK and reserved PE for now. Want to OneUp to Business but this process is very new to me. 1) Should we join ANZ Miles program? 2) When should I put in the bid(s)? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Congrats on choosing to go to NZ and on NZ. Joining NZ AirPoints will be of no benefit to you in bidding for OneUp. If you were already an NZ AP member and had earned status with them, then it would be of benefit.
When bidding for OneUps I have always used this mindset. I am comfortable paying $X per hour to sit in a more comfortable seat for 14 hours. If I secure the upgrade, I will feel I got good value. If I miss out as I did not bid enough, I will then sit in my PE seat for 14 hours and be happy about it.
You need to choose what your number is.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: NZ*E
23/05/2018
NZ282 AKL-SIN
Y -> Skycouch
Offered $400 APD (Jade Status, so no uplift - was on the upper end of weak, plane was quite full)
Accepted at check in
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:16 am

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Airpoints
AKL-EZE Oneup

Havent bid yet but it’s sitting at $350 min Y to PE. August 17.
It was a grabaseat deal, 7 nights hotel plus fares, $1399 so pretty good. I wasn’t quick enough to get the PE deal for $1799 which is a real steal. Unfortunately looks like RU ineligible (I’m Gold, partner silver) but is it worth trying at checkin anyone think?
Aircraft now 772 (Trent issue) so I guess more premium seats available.
Can anyone explain how ExpertFlyer works?
Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

ExpertFlyer is a subscription service that allows many different types of queries (fare class availability, seat map, award availability, alerts for various things). I have been a subscriber for many years.

I think there is a trial, or limited access version. Go have a play....
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by markthefree
Havent bid yet but it’s sitting at $350 min Y to PE. August 17.
It was a grabaseat deal, 7 nights hotel plus fares, $1399 so pretty good. I wasn’t quick enough to get the PE deal for $1799 which is a real steal. Unfortunately looks like RU ineligible (I’m Gold, partner silver) but is it worth trying at checkin anyone think?
Aircraft now 772 (Trent issue) so I guess more premium seats available.
Can anyone explain how ExpertFlyer works?
Thanks
Those packages were all F class when I looked so you can't use a RU to upgrade.

If you want to lodge a OneUp you'll just have to bid whatever you thing is fair, ExpertFlyer isn't really of any help in this situation.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Those packages were all F class when I looked so you can't use a RU to upgrade.

If you want to lodge a OneUp you'll just have to bid whatever you thing is fair, ExpertFlyer isn't really of any help in this situation.
Thanks.
One would think a pretty low cost RU upgrade for ANZ on this though (for us) to get it out of their liabilities - no extra lounge or baggage costs. It was pretty well hidden fine print that not upgradeable too, I'll look harder next time. Still happy with the deal. In saying that Fares seem to have dropped a fair bit since I looked a week ago - the complexities of yield management I imagine.
Might just try for some Exit row seats instead, although no seat select showing yet.
Flew back from Tokyo last year on ANZ 789, aircraft was full of very polite Japanese schoolchildren - except all the port side Skycouch rows which were empty. Happily we grabbed one each for a very relaxing trip home.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by freemark
Thanks.
One would think a pretty low cost RU upgrade for ANZ on this though (for us) to get it out of their liabilities - no extra lounge or baggage costs. It was pretty well hidden fine print that not upgradeable too, I'll look harder next time. .
I guess if you don't know the ins and outs of Airpoints it's something to be aware of. It is made mentioned quite prominently on the Recognition Upgrade page on the Air NZ website through.

You also typically can't lodge an RU at the airport, these have to be lodged in advance. I have seen a few comments on here historically from people who have somehow managed to lodge and have one clear at the airport, but this is not the norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.