Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bungeedude
Well yes and no... if you have 1pax alone doing a 1up bid to sky couch it means there needs to be 2 vacant seats next to them (which may mean moving 2 other pax to free these seats). If 2 pax are doing a sky couch bid together then there only needs to be 1 vacant seat (which may only mean moving 1 pax).
I don't get your logic - because anybody who has a Skycouch row will have already paid for it..Remembering that not all Skycouch capable seats are sold as Skycouch rows.

The idea of the OneUp is to sell existing unallocated Skycouch rows
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I don't get your logic - because anybody who has a Skycouch row will have already paid for it..Remembering that not all Skycouch capable seats are sold as Skycouch rows.

The idea of the OneUp is to sell existing unallocated Skycouch rows
Yes exactly. So a couple sharing a row would logically get preference over 1 person having a row to themselves. Say you have 3 rows with 7 pax (2 couple's and 3 singles). All the singles have done oneup bids of $300 and the couples have only done $200. You can either accept the 2 couples bids ($400 revenue) and make the singles sit in the last row together or you can accept 1 single with the higher bid ($300 revenue) and make the 2 singles share the rows with the 2 couples. Logically the $400 revenue win's.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Presumably gone to members with recognition upgrades
Are recognition upgrades always prioritised over one-up bids?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by chocfish
Are recognition upgrades always prioritised over one-up bids?
Yes. Along with APD upgrades.
chocfish likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Yes. Along with APD upgrades.
Does that mean oneup with APD ranks ahead of oneup paid with proper money? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but this is something I have been wondering iwth a couple of international flights coming up.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:44 pm

Those are the APD Elite upgrades. Where Elites can pay a fix APD amount for an upgrade. These are applied before the RUs and OneUps.

OneUps paid in APD and NZD are reviewed at the same time. Members with status get their OneUps upweighted e.g Silvers 10% extra. I'm not sure what happens if there are two equal bids and only one seat available, not sure on their selection process.

Last edited by nzkarit; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:28 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Thanks, that helps - I understood about the elite APD upgrades but wasn't sure of the situation for the rest of us, particularly if there was any hierachy for Oneup bids other than the various status tiers.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ottiehund
Does that mean oneup with APD ranks ahead of oneup paid with proper money? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but this is something I have been wondering iwth a couple of international flights coming up.
There is no reason for Air NZ to treat a OneUp differently whether you've paid with APD or cash. Both are one and the same.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Of course they are different. Cash means revenue against an upgraded seat: an op-up (from the no bidding system era) means upgrading a passenger without any revenue attached. Using APDs means NZ's and *A's liability for non-revenue award seats is reduced: rather than a seat being entirely non-revenue, you put a someone who's already on a revenue ticket into that class of service.

There is no reason for Air NZ to treat a OneUp differently whether you've paid with APD or cash. Both are one and the same.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:25 pm

I don't really understand your logic. From an accounting perspective APD is treated as cash by Air NZ.

It makes no difference to the airline in terms of accounting whether you pay cash or use APD.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:30 pm

I don't really understand your logic. From an accounting perspective APD is treated as cash by Air NZ.

It makes no difference to the airline in terms of accounting whether you pay cash or use APD.
Well every APD that expires is no longer a liability on the balance sheet. Or when they issue APD do they already factor in the APD expiring? Cash comes in and goes out and what is left is profit.

So their may be a small benefit in favouring Cash OneUps over APD OneUps, as it may mean the APD expires without being used. Though the only time it may factor is if there are two equal bids and only one seat left.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: united , air new zealand
Successful US$365 bid ( weak ) for solo traveller to get skycouch NZ8 AKL-SFO Nov 20th.
Happy but dont like the fact that NZ made me wait til 8 hours before departure to confirm when any other oneup gives you 72 hours notice.
This last minute thing gives you no chance to maybe change airline or use another option
Probly could have got Y to PE for same $$ but in my experience SC is far better value as I can lie down.
Truth be told as a single traveller would rather have AirNZ SC than the UAL business class I flew last trip when considering the quality, cost or upgrade cost.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:14 pm

OneUps are not always confirmed at T-72.

At T-72 you'll get an email saying one of 3 things - it's rejected, it's confirmed, or that it can't be confirmed at this time but may be confirmed right up until the gate.

As OneUp is about maximising revenue plenty are now clearing at the gate after RU and APD upgrades have been cleared when previously they would have been automatically rejected at T-72.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:03 am

I came across this airpoints oneup success guide which helped me burn up some credit card airpoints dollars for an unnecessary but rather nice AKL-SYD upgrade from Y to PE. Had a Koru voucher to redeem, so it was a premium experience all the way given I have no status with AirNz or star alliance. $150 well spent!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
NZ 191, AKL-ADL
Y > PE - 3/12/17
$100 (super weak, 10 dollars higher than lowest possible bid) - plus uplift (Gold)
Approved 7-9 hours out (as I was mid-flight from IAH)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.