FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1369120-successful-unsuccessful-oneup-bids.html)

mckma8 Jul 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Thought I would finally contribute to this forum and start a new thread for people to post their successful or otherwise one-up bids. (Given the other one-up thread is a little more of a general discussion).

To get the ball rolling:

AKL - TBU (Saturday 28th July).
Bid $194 - successful
Seat plus bag smart saver (S) to Business (R)

Put the bid in of Friday and heard this morning that I was successful.

Unfortunately I didn't check EF or anything pre application to see what fare buckets etc were available.

I also applied for a recognition upgrade last week for my partner (on the same flight but different PNR), rang today after my oneup had come back to check it had gone through (which it hadn't), but was fortunately able to confirm it this morning. Otherwise she would have been rather unimpressed!

I'm fairly pleased with how this has panned out, one-up does seem to provide cheaper upgrade options for routes that have low premium loadings.

Cheers,
Matt

Shazzadude Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Cool, hopefully others can post their experiences here. :)

treadsoftly Jul 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mckma8 (Post 18981908)
Thought I would finally contribute to this forum and start a new thread for people to post their successful or otherwise one-up bids. (Given the other one-up thread is a little more of a general discussion).

To get the ball rolling:

AKL - TBU (Saturday 28th July).
Bid $194 - successful
Seat plus bag smart saver (S) to Business (R)

Put the bid in of Friday and heard this morning that I was successful.

Unfortunately I didn't check EF or anything pre application to see what fare buckets etc were available.

I also applied for a recognition upgrade last week for my partner (on the same flight but different PNR), rang today after my oneup had come back to check it had gone through (which it hadn't), but was fortunately able to confirm it this morning. Otherwise she would have been rather unimpressed!

I'm fairly pleased with how this has panned out, one-up does seem to provide cheaper upgrade options for routes that have low premium loadings.

Cheers,
Matt

Nice work - good outcome :)

Susiew237 Jul 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mckma8 (Post 18981908)

and this is the problem.... one-ups applied before recognition. I mean, what is the point in calling it a "recognition" upgrade if you dont get recognised.

Well done though on your successful bid and thanks for sharing.

benkepes Jul 30, 2012 12:20 pm

So any word on whether standby upgrades are till happening since OneUp was introduced (I know they still appear on the website but is anyone having them actually succeed?)

ajnz Jul 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Friend of mine reported unsuccessful as NZ*S on SFO-AKL July 29th, Y-U class. Bid $200.

R>0, UEO>0, but A=0.

smeags_nz Aug 19, 2012 3:39 am

Advice on OneUp vs Airpoints request?

I'm a GE, who wants to gift an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy for my Father who is flying from AKL - LAX later this month. I have the option of putting through a 220 airpoint standby upgrade, or submitting a 300 - 350 bid using OneUp. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would have a better chance of clearing?

Mapnz Aug 19, 2012 7:45 am

The best way to see which is rated higher is to do two persons at the same time
Using both types

NZ*Trout Aug 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by smeags_nz (Post 19150517)
I'm a GE, who wants to gift an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy for my Father who is flying from AKL - LAX later this month. I have the option of putting through a 220 airpoint standby upgrade, or submitting a 300 - 350 bid using OneUp. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would have a better chance of clearing?

Personally, I would go for the standby upgrade, for two reasons. Firstly due to the fact that it has a longer life than OneUp bids and won't expire at the 7day mark if the bid isn't successful (the flights I've looked at so far don't seem to have PE or BP completely filled with OneUPs at the 7day mark). Secondly because I think (as many do) the way this has all been implemented is terrible and I would rather avoid OneUp all together.

Of course everything is so damn opaque and there is no deterministic behaviour that we can rely on, so your mileage will vary.

My solution to this is simply to avoid AirNZ where it is possible. They're missing out on another LAX-LHR from me this week as I can upgrade to J on UA, but not on NZ. ^

KiwiHighFlyer Aug 20, 2012 2:21 am

Just had the premium team tell me over the phone that they would be filling the premium cabins with OneUp bids at T-72h and not leaving anything reserved for airport control. I thought it was rather interesting and a bit different to us FTers' experiences.

NHM Aug 21, 2012 4:14 pm

$50 OneUp upgrade on AKL-SYD NZ105 to Business Class = a FAIL

DanNZ100 Aug 21, 2012 4:23 pm

I've used both of my Gold Elite recognition upgrades since one up started. One (AKLSFO) was confirmed 7 days prior to travel and one (LAXAKL) was done when I checked in. My partner has also used one of his recognition upgrades AKLBNE which was confirmed 3 days before flight and he used a standby upgrade BNEAKL which was confirmed at check-in. From our experience one up has no made any difference to us. But I guess the jury is out for a few more months until this oneup stuff really takes off.

DanNZ100 Aug 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Also a friend was successful with all three of their one up requests:

AKLSYD $295.00
SYDRAR $245.00
RARAKL $195.00

However the very next week their AKLSYD $300 bid was rejected..

123dd Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by NHM (Post 19167649)
$50 OneUp upgrade on AKL-SYD NZ105 to Business Class = a FAIL

The minimum bit for that flight is $100...
I submitted a $100 bid for NZ105, since I'm still Gold, it should count as $130.. I will report back how it goes.....

robbau Aug 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by 123dd (Post 19167726)
The minimum bit for that flight is $100...
I submitted a $100 bid for NZ105, since I'm still Gold, it should count as $130.. I will report back how it goes.....

I will be keen to see how you go.

I have two pending standby upgrades for 1st week October and 3rd week of December on NZ102 (SYD/AKL).

If you can secure one-up upgrades for around $130 then it might be wise for me to retract my standby upgrade requests (APD$250) and put in one-up bids.