Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Reply

Old May 21, 18, 5:16 pm
  #1156  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Your odds are in the range of 0% to 100%

I'm not sure what's annoying about not knowing about an upgrade until the day. The vast majority of upgrades don't clear until somewhere between check-in and the gate.
Itís annoying if you need the extra baggage allowance and so due to it not clearing prepurchase an extra bag or two then canít get this refunded if you then end up paying for the upgrade. I appreciate this may only be a problem TT as I have heard NZ may allow you the anticipated upgraded allowance long haul.
Bub001 and Shelleybgood like this.
drajknox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 18, 3:48 pm
  #1157  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
NZ7 SFO-AKL, 370 to PE accepted at 9hr
khayyam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 18, 11:11 am
  #1158  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 392
Nz1 lax-akl

NZ1 LAX - AKL
BID ACCEPTED 3 days out. PE to J for $520
trooper likes this.
Vaab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 18, 4:56 pm
  #1159  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Vaab View Post
NZ1 LAX - AKL
BID ACCEPTED 3 days out. PE to J for $520
Great upgrade. What day of the week was this?
sopwith7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 18, 5:09 pm
  #1160  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by Vaab View Post
NZ1 LAX - AKL
BID ACCEPTED 3 days out. PE to J for $520
I assume this is US$ since it's below the the minimum bid in NZ$?
sbiddle is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 18, 10:43 am
  #1161  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MCO/DAB
Programs: DL FO, SPG Gold
Posts: 20
03/06/2018 (DD/MM/YYYY format)
NZ7 SFO-AKL
PE --> BP
Offered $535 US (middle of "weak" range)
Accepted 5 days out

EDIT: I am a Premier Silver on United, so I do have Star Alliance Silver status. Maybe an uplift?

I feel fortunate as I have a few 4+ hour layovers in the US to get to SFO, so now at least I'll have lounge access for those layovers.

I have three more bids outstanding. We'll see...

Last edited by OllieGator; May 30, 18 at 10:51 am Reason: Adding Star Alliance status
OllieGator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 18, 1:55 pm
  #1162  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Hello..we are flying in April 2019 SFO-AUCK and reserved PE for now. Want to OneUp to Business but this process is very new to me. 1) Should we join ANZ Miles program? 2) When should I put in the bid(s)? Thanks for any information you can provide.
renaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 18, 2:43 pm
  #1163  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond
Posts: 5,360
Originally Posted by renaw View Post
Hello..we are flying in April 2019 SFO-AUCK and reserved PE for now. Want to OneUp to Business but this process is very new to me. 1) Should we join ANZ Miles program? 2) When should I put in the bid(s)? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Congrats on choosing to go to NZ and on NZ. Joining NZ AirPoints will be of no benefit to you in bidding for OneUp. If you were already an NZ AP member and had earned status with them, then it would be of benefit.
When bidding for OneUps I have always used this mindset. I am comfortable paying $X per hour to sit in a more comfortable seat for 14 hours. If I secure the upgrade, I will feel I got good value. If I miss out as I did not bid enough, I will then sit in my PE seat for 14 hours and be happy about it.
You need to choose what your number is.
kiwicyclo likes this.
taupo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 6:57 am
  #1164  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SIN
Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 185
23/05/2018
NZ282 AKL-SIN
Y -> Skycouch
Offered $400 APD (Jade Status, so no uplift - was on the upper end of weak, plane was quite full)
Accepted at check in
KiwiJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:16 am
  #1165  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks
renaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 18, 12:07 am
  #1166  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: Airpoints
Posts: 2
AKL-EZE Oneup

Havent bid yet but itís sitting at $350 min Y to PE. August 17.
It was a grabaseat deal, 7 nights hotel plus fares, $1399 so pretty good. I wasnít quick enough to get the PE deal for $1799 which is a real steal. Unfortunately looks like RU ineligible (Iím Gold, partner silver) but is it worth trying at checkin anyone think?
Aircraft now 772 (Trent issue) so I guess more premium seats available.
Can anyone explain how ExpertFlyer works?
Thanks
markthefree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 18, 4:46 am
  #1167  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 6,909
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

ExpertFlyer is a subscription service that allows many different types of queries (fare class availability, seat map, award availability, alerts for various things). I have been a subscriber for many years.

I think there is a trial, or limited access version. Go have a play....
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 18, 1:15 pm
  #1168  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by markthefree View Post
Havent bid yet but itís sitting at $350 min Y to PE. August 17.
It was a grabaseat deal, 7 nights hotel plus fares, $1399 so pretty good. I wasnít quick enough to get the PE deal for $1799 which is a real steal. Unfortunately looks like RU ineligible (Iím Gold, partner silver) but is it worth trying at checkin anyone think?
Aircraft now 772 (Trent issue) so I guess more premium seats available.
Can anyone explain how ExpertFlyer works?
Thanks
Those packages were all F class when I looked so you can't use a RU to upgrade.

If you want to lodge a OneUp you'll just have to bid whatever you thing is fair, ExpertFlyer isn't really of any help in this situation.
sbiddle is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 18, 5:57 pm
  #1169  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wellington
Programs: AirNZ Airpoints *Gold
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Those packages were all F class when I looked so you can't use a RU to upgrade.

If you want to lodge a OneUp you'll just have to bid whatever you thing is fair, ExpertFlyer isn't really of any help in this situation.
Thanks.
One would think a pretty low cost RU upgrade for ANZ on this though (for us) to get it out of their liabilities - no extra lounge or baggage costs. It was pretty well hidden fine print that not upgradeable too, I'll look harder next time. Still happy with the deal. In saying that Fares seem to have dropped a fair bit since I looked a week ago - the complexities of yield management I imagine.
Might just try for some Exit row seats instead, although no seat select showing yet.
Flew back from Tokyo last year on ANZ 789, aircraft was full of very polite Japanese schoolchildren - except all the port side Skycouch rows which were empty. Happily we grabbed one each for a very relaxing trip home.
freemark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:04 pm
  #1170  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by freemark View Post
Thanks.
One would think a pretty low cost RU upgrade for ANZ on this though (for us) to get it out of their liabilities - no extra lounge or baggage costs. It was pretty well hidden fine print that not upgradeable too, I'll look harder next time. .
I guess if you don't know the ins and outs of Airpoints it's something to be aware of. It is made mentioned quite prominently on the Recognition Upgrade page on the Air NZ website through.

You also typically can't lodge an RU at the airport, these have to be lodged in advance. I have seen a few comments on here historically from people who have somehow managed to lodge and have one clear at the airport, but this is not the norm.
sbiddle is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread