Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
NZ 105 / NZ 104 Y to PE AU$90 each way accepted 5 days out.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Is this even allowed? I'd be fuming especially finding out just before getting on the flight! What are your rights or the policies around this?

@damsel
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by EneleNZ
Is this even allowed? I'd be fuming especially finding out just before getting on the flight! What are your rights or the policies around this?

@damsel
Of course it's allowed. No seat on an aircraft is ever fully confirmed until you're belted up and actually moving..
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
NZ24 YVRAKL
Y to PE
$400 with no uplift
Got the "might still happen 7-9 hours prior to departure email. Only rejected after departure. There were 5 empty seats in PE. Not helping my marriage NZ (my RU cleared 5 hours before departure)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
So NZ rejected an extra $400 when they still had PE seats free?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beckett66
So NZ rejected an extra $400 when they still had PE seats free?
Yes, it seems so - and not an unreasonable approach in my view.

They will need to strike a balance between attempting to sell seats right up to the last minute against allowing successful OneUp bids to undermine selling seats via regular channels (ie not by upgrades). In some cases OneUps can be successful from a very low fare base, and they'd surely want to protect against this becoming more common. So it seems reasonable to go flying with some empty seats rather than accepting 'any' OneUp bid (or other upgrade means).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

They will need to strike a balance between attempting to sell seats right up to the last minute against allowing successful OneUp bids to undermine selling seats via regular channels (ie not by upgrades). In some cases OneUps can be successful from a very low fare base, and they'd surely want to protect against this becoming more common. So it seems reasonable to go flying with some empty seats rather than accepting 'any' OneUp bid (or other upgrade means).
It's not really any different to Gotta Go fares - Air NZ will only sell these if there are 3 seats available (to Elite's) or 5 seats available (to everybody else) at T-90

There could be any number of reasons why seats still remain empty including pax not making the flight or upgrades to BP.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:11 am

It's still lazy on NZ's part. Someone who is already a revenue passenger offering you many more extra $ than any meal services might cost in PE. Instead, NZ is once again being penny-wise and loyalty foolish. Took my last trip to Europe on SQ. AC will be offering seasonal service to YVR.

Monopoly mentality in an increasingly competitive international market is dumb.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's not really any different to Gotta Go fares - Air NZ will only sell these if there are 3 seats available (to Elite's) or 5 seats available (to everybody else) at T-90

There could be any number of reasons why seats still remain empty including pax not making the flight or upgrades to BP.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
It's still lazy on NZ's part. Someone who is already a revenue passenger offering you many more extra $ than any meal services might cost in PE. Instead, NZ is once again being penny-wise and loyalty foolish. Took my last trip to Europe on SQ. AC will be offering seasonal service to YVR.

Monopoly mentality in an increasingly competitive international market is dumb.
Do you know for sure there were empty seats at T-7 hours when they did the final one up run through?
The empty seats may be missed connections, no shows, etc
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:38 am

Am using the imprecise dummy booking/ seat chart check method.
t-48 7 seats available
t-24 up to 9 seats available
My RU cleared t-5 hours
At check-in offered the upgrade at $1500 surcharge
5 empty seats in PE at departure
Partner's bid rejected after take-off.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Do you know for sure there were empty seats at T-7 hours when they did the final one up run through?
The empty seats may be missed connections, no shows, etc
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

The other side of that is.
NZ would have received an additional $400 in revenue for zero incremental cost as meals are already in the works by that time.
Passenger would have experienced PE, possibly told their friends and family and/or decided it was the only way to fly and booked it themselves going forward.
NZ creates badwill when they advertise and promote a product, invite you to bid on it, accept your bid, then reject it when it is still available. What message does that send?

If $400 is too low of a bid for that flight based on the fare paid, then the minimum bid amount should be set higher to the lowest acceptable amount.

jawnbc likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by taupo
NZ would have received an additional $400 in revenue for zero incremental cost as meals are already in the works by that time.
Passenger would have experienced PE, possibly told their friends and family and/or decided it was the only way to fly and booked it themselves going forward.
NZ creates badwill when they advertise and promote a product, invite you to bid on it, accept your bid, then reject it when it is still available. What message does that send?

If $400 is too low of a bid for that flight based on the fare paid, then the minimum bid amount should be set higher to the lowest acceptable amount.

Sure. But it appears that Air NZ chooses not to do this - for whatever their (presumably sound) business reasons might be. Their call, much as we may wish it were otherwise.

And in the case commented on, the bid wasn't 'accepted' and then 'rejected', rather the bid was offered by the pax into the OneUp system, which simply wasn't accepted by Air NZ in the end - happens all the time. No money changed hands either.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 17, 2019 at 4:04 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by taupo

Actually this the most important factor. If seats were available, and a quote was accepted, most people would have a bad feeling about the airline if it didn't make an upgrade available. I believe that AirNZ has shot itself in the foot if this is the case.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet
Actually this the most important factor. If seats were available, and a quote was accepted, most people would have a bad feeling about the airline if it didn't make an upgrade available. I believe that AirNZ has shot itself in the foot if this is the case.
No bid was accepted/cleared though. I don't see what the issue is.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Very easily, AirNZ may have issued boarding passes for the empty seats, for people who missed the flight.
They would not allow those seats to be re-issued to any one else as the connecting passengers may still make the flight until the door is closed.
Travelling from regional NZ, I can assure you this happens.

Last edited by WLGNZ; Jun 17, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.